Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
marykatmp
Registered Users
seller

Toy Storage

I know as minimalist you limit the toys but how do you store the toys you have? I wold love some suggestions or even pictures. We are about to have a major purge and I want to have it all in order for good. We are considering the Trofast system from Ikea, but would love other suggestions. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toy Storage

This is what I used from first kid to when my 3 kids were your kids' ages. This shelving unit was from IKEA also but has long been discontinued, but this setup could work with any sort of shelving unit or bookcase. The white bins are Sterilite brand and available in many sizes at most big box stores fairly inexpensively. What I did was, no matter how many kids/toys there were, they had to fit on this. That way I had only what I could easily store, and could put away in 15 minutes or less on demand. This was critical because in 3 out of 4 homes it was in plain view of or actually in the main living area, and we had lots of visitors. This setup went through four different houses and was finally retired this year for a different system that works better in this house.

A year later:

What's nice about this is the bins and shelves can and have been repurposed for other things as the kids got older. IDK that I would want to use Trofast for anything other than kid toy storage, except maybe for the mudroom or something. That and the color selection of the tubs available at any given time is what finally kept me from ever going that route. Not that you couldn't resell it when you were done, and Trofast works for a lot of people, just trying to show you more options.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Trofast bins from Ikea

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have trofast bins, but not the entire system (well we use the trofast system for clothes and as stairs to our kids bunk beds, but just use the bockets for toys. We put up a shelf aroudn the perimeter of the room and then each type of toy got a bucket (babies, blocks, play food, etc..) with a label on the fron of the box (showing both picture and words). They have to ask for a bucket to come down, then clean it up and put it away before another can be taken down.

if you actually keep up with the "1 bucket at a time" rule, its very easy to clean up and well organized. I go through spurts where I let them have whatever they want (and it shows!) and then I make them do one at a time. I should probably be more consistent, lol.

You can see what I mean in this post

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16012420&postcount=10

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

I plan on switching to the Trofast system after we move (in Hawaii now) in the summer. Here is how Brooke's room is set up, her room is quite small and it works pretty well.

She has 4 green bins under her bed, the 1st for Barbies, the 2nd for play food, the 3rd for mega bloks and the 4th for oversized books.

Next to her bed are a set of 3 drawers. In the 1st drawer is dress up stuff for her dolls, the 2nd is dress up stuff for her and the 3rd is for small dolls/figures. Then she has her kitchen next to her toy box with books on the shelf and dolls & stuffed animals inside.

Inside her closet is her dresser, guess I could've opened the doors for the photo, and her shopping cart.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by mrspopo; 07-08-2013 at 12:57 AM.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
marykatmp
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing everyone! I have gotten some great ideas!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
Here's my playroom post from a few months ago. And by the looks of it I need to update it because we've definitely changed things up.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1434208

I've been really interested in play at home moms blog, and they emphasize having the materials available and visible to the kiddos. So as my 1 year old ages, we're getting more clear bins from the dollar store for art supplies and other visible arrangements. We're getting close to re-arranging the house to make room for baby #2 and that will mean moving the playroom to the big room. So with more space I would like to keep it simple and organized. We have an Ikea expedit bookcase we may move into there. I'd be interested in a trofast system if I can find clear containers. And we'll definitely be looking into lots of shelves.
We have some clear trofast buckets!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

we re-purposed our old tv stand, since we got rid of the tv:

This is their school desk with all of their writing paper, pencils, abacus, letter and number magnets (just imagine that my fsot basket is gone from under the desk on on top of the chair):

Their play kitchen (pans, etc. are in the oven and food is in that metal basket):

(they also have a very small art table that I didn't have a picture of...)

Last edited by harmoni247; 12-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote