Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:
Re: Child's Art Supply Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post

Diaper box turned into spice rack. Since I don't use mine often and I don't have many, it works just to pull each bottle out and glance at the label. I don't have to see each label.

My bathroom drawer

Oreo box turned into a box to hold cake supplies.

My craft shelves. The bottom shelf in the picture is the workbooks, activity books, coloring books, and papers (this need shelf purging desperately.)
how u did the spices & the cake organization. i love that! i never thought of using them like that. i have a few boxes that will b empty soon & new ideas w/ how to use them.
your craft supplies are sooo organized! im trying sooo hard to get organized. my biggest challange is my hs closet & my kids closet. (all my kids clothes r in one closet) my older 2 boys have outgrown using 1 shelf & now need 2 for the clothes. my 4yr old is very close to doing the same. :/ i cnt add more shelving so im looking into other ideas.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
moms5angels
Registered Users

My Mood:

this is how i organized mine w/ cereal boxes

Last edited by moms5angels; 12-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Mason jars! I love those things.....
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three kids 4, 7, and 9 so I have more stuff and do not have to be as careful with what's accessible. But you could modify what I do to put stuff out of reach.

I do mason jars for a lot of it as well. I have a little wooden tray leftover from an old Melissa and Doug toy, and it holds pint jars of crayons, colored pencils, markers, pens/pencils, dry erase markers//scissors/glue sticks, and then in the space leftover is the bottle glue, little stapler, tape, and can of shaving cream (yeah, they play with that LOL) that sits on the kitchen table all the time. They use it to do arts and crafts as well as their homework. My kids do a lot more arts and crafts than their peers at school and church, and I think it's largely because it is out in view and accessible to them.

Then there is a bookcase that I use for the other stuff. I have a bin of acrylic paints and brushes. A paper sorter of reused paper (already printed on one side from DH's work), construction paper, lined paper, etc. A shoebox of stamps and ink pads. A bin of playdough and the playdoh factory thing and playdoh cookie cutters. A pencil box each of backups of crayons/colored pencils/etc that I listed in the mason jars above - I get enough to fill the jars and a pencil box in addition to whatever is on the school supply list every August while they are on sale. A short shelf of coloring books and workbooks and dry erase printing and cursive wipeboards. Then a small plastic drawer thing to hold the random little stuff, like bead kits they get as gifts, boxes of staples, post-it notes, etc. They can access themselves to get what they need, and they know to ask first if they are going to do something messy like paint or playdoh. But you could put this all in a closet or cabinet easily if you needed to restrict access.

The key is grouping like things together by type of project, so it's easy to get what is needed whether it is out or locked up. The containers you need depend on whether it is visible to the public, what it needs to hold and the space it needs to fit. Stuff I put up in closets, etc I reuse boxes. Stuff that's out in view, I often will get bins from the dollar store or similar so it's a little more presentable. Sterilite makes white bins in many different sizes that are affordable, so it's easy to get a bunch of them that match or coordinate that still fit different purposes. If I need a bunch of containers that are identical, then I go to dollar tree or Ikea.

The main thing is to keep only what you use. Don't make a bin for playdoh if they don't care about it or you can't ever stand the mess it makes. Don't store 12 boxes of crayons if you don't use that much in a year. Don't feel obligated to have every type of art supply there is, just the ones your kids like and use.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

Here are our art supplies. They stay right on my counter top. We pick up "consumables" (pipe cleaners, stickers, google-eyes etc...) as special treats and we use them up so we don't have to store them. We also have a huge ream of construction paper that we are working our way through. Someone bought it at Sams Club and it has lasted FOREVER. I hate storing it, but they use it every day!

Markers, twistable crayons, glue, colored pencils, scissors (including ones that cut designs) a pencil sharpener, ruler, pens and pencils for homework, and there is usually tape in here too... The container is a rehab'ed silverware caddy from Homegoods that my husband welded a few new dividers into. It's about as minimalist as you can get!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
moms5angels
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
Here are our art supplies. They stay right on my counter top. We pick up "consumables" (pipe cleaners, stickers, google-eyes etc...) as special treats and we use them up so we don't have to store them. We also have a huge ream of construction paper that we are working our way through. Someone bought it at Sams Club and it has lasted FOREVER. I hate storing it, but they use it every day!

Markers, twistable crayons, glue, colored pencils, scissors (including ones that cut designs) a pencil sharpener, ruler, pens and pencils for homework, and there is usually tape in here too... The container is a rehab'ed silverware caddy from Homegoods that my husband welded a few new dividers into. It's about as minimalist as you can get!

i like that!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

That does look awesome! My kids are still young enough that I cant just let them go, I have to set out crayons OR markers OR scissors. They're disciplined enough not to take them off the shelf but if I left htem out on the table, it would be a disaster. I'll remember that caddy for a few years!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #18
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have two carts like these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
My girls love pulling the drawers out and looking at things and the fact that each bin has a lid helps it stay organized.

I'm always tempted by this though:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

The stuff we have out and accessible is in mason jars and baskets.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #19
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't help that the art supplies are still in the midst of my junk room, and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through that still. Thanks for the ideas ladies!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels View Post
not sure if u will like this but im loving it! gonna do this for my kids hs art supplies. http://www.justagirlblog.com/art-supply-caddy/
That would be perfect for my dd!!