Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long did you co-sleep for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I said "well its not like they'll still be co-sleeping when they go to college" and of course she told me about someone she knows who's 12 and still in the parents' bed.
maybe there are other issues, you don't know the child or family and that little "gem" is not good a therapist to say to use to "prove her point"

And often teens/young adults DO co-sleep, just with boyfriend/girlfriends vs parents, they crave closeness, I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthemoonsglow View Post
I coslept until I was about 10! Lol but my parents had 2 queen beds pushed together. It went my dad then my mom on 1 bed. Then my little brother and then me. I was in my own bed by 7ish but I was super excited to have a brother (at 8) so I wanted to sleep with the family again. Thats when they made the huge bed. My best childhood memories are waking up to my brothers smiling little face, waking our parents up, and then just hanging out, talking, and slowly waking up.
So sweet!

I think co-sleeping is similar to breastfeeding, some kids will stop sooner than others, and you can't force an older child to do either if they don't want to.

If it's working for you and the child it's the best choice for your family!

tell the therapist were to stick that thumb

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy
From birth with both girls. We have had 2 in bed for the past 9 months but today is DD1s 3rd birthday and we have explained it is time to start sleeping in her bed. She has had a bed for about a year and some nights she will go to sleep in it but always ends up in our room before morning. She has some sleep issues though. She wakes up in hysterics multiple times per night and has since being an infant. DD2 sleeps way better and probably doesn't even need to cosleep but I like it for nursing and knowing where they are. I think she will be an easier transition when she weans (maybe around 2)
My Ds1 had night terrors for years.
We cut dairy from his diet for other reasons and they completely stopped. If he eats dairy now he still cries and tosses in his sleep.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We let our kids self wean from bed-sharing/co-sleeping. ds1 weaned at 3 years of age and ds2 at 2.5 years is still in bed, but is starting to show signs of transition. He isn't 100% ready though, probably a few more months.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Co-slept with #1 for nearly 5 years. We tried many times beginning at 2 years old to get her out of our bed and it did not work. A few weeks before she was to start kindergarten, I was also very pregnant and we talked about how she was going to be a big girl in school, a big sister, etc. and it was time she had her own big girl bed. She totally bought it. For the first time in our marriage (we were married after she was born) we had the bed to ourselves. For 3 months, anyway...baby #2 was born.

#2 stayed in our bed for 2 years. She was pretty independent so when I became pregnant again we decided to move her out. We started with a toddler bed in our room and she loved it. Eventually, she moved into a twin bed in her sister's room and that worked well. We left the toddler bed in our room and she was welcome to come back at any time. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't.

#3 and #4 (not twins, 19 months apart and co-slept with both at the same time after #4 was born) stayed in our bed until the were 4.5 & 3 years old. Mostly because #3 had abdominal migraines frequently when he was young and got so good at throwing up at night that he wouldn't even wake up to do it. (By the way, nothing like waking up to someone vomiting on your neck!) When he outgrew them, we moved them both to a queen sized bed in their own room.

The kids are now 15, 10, 7, & 6 and all sleep well in their own beds. Also, they all know (even the 15 year old) that they are welcome in our room anytime they need. They hardly ever come down, but they have. Maybe 5 times a year or so.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #25
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We were ready at 18m with #1, and she transitioned to an essentially side-car daybed (converted crib) at 2. It took her 6 months to be ready. At 4, 100% of her sleep is in her bed although my husband will visit her sometimes. My son is 17 months and I'd love to send him on his way in a month or so although his expressive language is severely limited right now and he may need more time.

No judgment op. My opinion is that some limited, gentle separation (independence) is good. But who is to say what the timeline should be. It may vary by adult/child.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #26
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Double bed

Last edited by danielle; 12-09-2012 at 05:00 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #27
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son will be 3 next month and I would like to get him out of my bed before a new baby comes (due in August) because I do not think he is a good candidate for cosleeping with a newborn. But my plan was to move him into bed with my husband before the new baby comes (yes, we sleep in separate beds/rooms). I don't think he is ready to sleep by himself, but even if he was, I'm not sure where we would put him because there is not really enough room for another bed in either of the bedrooms. I think we will eventually have to move my husband's office downstairs in order to make another bedroom for the kids. Anyway, I have to admit I was surprised to see the young ages mentioned by most of the posters here and I want to tell OP that you are not alone with a 3-year-old, and I suspect that when my second child is old enough I will move the 2 kids in to sleep with each other. If he wants to sleep alone before then, we will arrange it, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #28
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone! Right now it does work for us. The two nights I was in the hospital DS slept fine with just DF so that makes me feel better. I slept awful those two nights, even wtih DS2 with me. I missed them! DF and I were thinking around age 5 or 6, unless he wantso ut earlier, and then we may be able to put both boys in a bed together since the youngest would be 2 or 3. We'll see!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&MsMamma View Post
I thought a therapists job was to help you make the right decisions for yourself not to be spouting their own opinions about how you chooses to raise your family...
It really bothers me when Drs give their opinions on things. Unless they are actually asked for their opinion, they should keep their mouth shut.

Technically, co-sleeping is having the child in the same room as you - be that in your bed or in their own bed. Bed-sharing is having them, obviously, in bed with you.
We've done both with our babies, the lengths of time depended on the kid, their night nursing habits, and our house size/# of bdrs.
DD - bed-shared for 2 weeks, then in her crib in her own room. I did bring her into bed for night nursing, but she started sleeping through the night (10-12hrs) at 3 weeks.
DS1 - bed-shared for a few weeks, then bassinet/crib in our room until he was 1 year. We moved his crib to share a room with DD then. Again, night nursed in our bed - I weaned him at 10 months because he was nursing all.night.long and I wasn't getting any sleep. Joke was on me... we conceived DS2 when I night weaned!
DS2 - bed-shared for the first couple weeks, then he preferred to sleep in the bassinet (and fall asleep on his own ). He was in our room until 18 months, then moved to share a room with DS1. (we bought a house in there, so now have 3 bdrs instead of 2) They still share a room, just have bunk beds now.
DS3 - bed-shared for the first few months, then bassinet/crib in our room until... well, he's still in his crib in our room because we have no other bdr to move him into! We're planning to build a room downstairs for DD, then move DS3 to her room up here.

None of my kids have troubles with getting to sleep (outside the normal stalling techniques employed by most kids!), and they all sleep through the night with no troubles, unless they're sick. They also never had any problems transitioning from a crib to a bed - although DS2 was over 3 years old when we moved him, he wasn't interested in leaving the crib before then.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
crunch!910
Registered Users

My DS is nearly 8 months old and I'm considering transitioning him. I really like cuddling him at night, but now that he can crawl, roll, toss and turn I'm not getting as much sleep as I used to. But I'm also not looking forward the hard work of gently transitioning. I already know that I cannot put him down after I've nursed him to sleep unless he's in a reallllly deep sleep. The crib is already sidecarred to the bed and sometimes he rolls over there by himself. Not even sure how to begin this transition. Maybe I won't. Seems like a lot of work and effort for something he may not be ready for. He's our last baby so part of me wants to say it won't matter how long he is in our bed, but truth be told, I know I don't want him in there much longer than a 1-2 years MAX. I guess I just figured whenever he night weaned we'd transition him out.

ETA: whenever we do get him out of our bed, then our room and finally into DS's room, DS has said before he wants to sleep WITH DS2. Not sure if that'll still hold true in a couple years, but we'll see. I think by then we'll just purchase a twin bed and let them sleep together if that's what they want.

Last edited by crunch!910; 12-09-2012 at 07:54 AM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote