Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My LO is a super soaker with sensitive skin and she just drenches her diapers quickly. Before she was born I stocked up on a used and new prefolds, flats & covers but they just aren't working. DH is upset that LO is in sposies and he spent out all the money for the cloth. I think I want to sell my newborn stash and get something else. I'm considering some of the bg free times bc they're on sale for overnight at least. originally went with what i had bc they seemed more economical and easier to wash. I just have a regular top loader. Does anyway have any ideas? Maybe i could try different inserts. My lo is 12 weeks ebf so her bm's are still really runny do j have been pinning, but so doesn't ho so many times anymore so maybe something different will work. I Should also say that I have some flip like covers that I was given as a gift that I would like to start using. Lo is finally big enough for them but i dont have any diapers that will work for us. I really don't have a lot of money to spend. I'm hoping that somebody wants my stash nb ASAP. I'm going to take pics and post them today. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by MandaMommy2; 11-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Flats/prefolds aren't working out

Have you tried a stay dry liner on top of the prefold? Prefolds will absorb the most pee.
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I used a preemie prefolds for a doubler, that might help. Also a stay dry liner (fleece) will help keep Newborn poop in place and keep it from running everywhere. You could make some insert socks out of fleece and that might help. I always trifold or padfold, even with a little baby because poop gets on the cover either way. I also keep at least 9 covers, if not 12. Another thought would be getting some alva pockets with no inserts and using your flats and PF as inserts. I'm sorry your having a rough start, but there is a solution, you just have to stick it out and find it.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoreanne
Have you tried a stay dry liner on top of the prefold? Prefolds will absorb the most pee.
I tried cutting up some fleece my mil gave me at liners but it made the baby's rash worse. We had yeast for two months and she's only three months old so I got really fed up with having to bleach diapers and then wash them again and again to try and get the smell out. Now that the rash has cleared I really want to get back into cloth but I don't want the rash to come back either. Her little bum was so bad she had open sores. My grandmother thinks that I should get micro fleece but I haven't had time or a way to get to the store yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How often are you changing? I prefer snappi'd prefolds. I very rarely had ebf poop escape with snappis. What size prefolds are you using?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
amberu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Osocozy makes a staydry prefold..it has a layer of fleece ontop. Those are only 2.50ea with the BF sales..
Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberu
Osocozy makes a staydry prefold..it has a layer of fleece ontop. Those are only 2.50ea with the BF sales..
What stores should I look at? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have more covers to use, you won't have to worry about pinning because you won't have to worry about making them last longer. So first thing I would do is pull out those flip-like covers. Also, cottonbabies has flips BOGO until Monday so if you need more covers, now would be the time to get them. Also, you can get stay dry liners inexpensively to use with your prefolds if you already have the next size up. If not, then I would sell the nb prefolds, and buy flats and stay dry liners. That would be the cheapest and you can just padfold the flats and lay them in covers, and lay a stay dry liner on top. If you want something a little more convenient, you could get the flip stay dry inserts (3 pack for $12 I believe) and use those laid in covers and you'll have ease+stay dry and it will still be cheaper than freetimes. Or you could do a combination of both! Here's the breakdown:

You could get 2 dozen flats, 4 flips (to use in combination with the covers you already have), and 24 stay dry liners (4*6 packs of BG stay dry liners) for 89.70 with free shipping from cottonbabies (using the flip cover BOGO sale).

Or you could get 24 stay dry inserts (8*3 packs of flip stay dry inserts), and 4 flips for 123.50 with free shipping and a free BG 4.0 (for purchases of $100 or more using coupon code LUVBG4) from cottonbabies (also using the flip cover BOGO sale).

Or you could do 1 dozen flats, 12 stay dry inserts, 12 stay dry liners, and 4 flip covers for 106.60 with free shipping and a free BG 4.0 (for purchases of $100 or more using coupon code LUVBG4) from cottonbabies (also using the flip cover BOGO sale).

Now, if you already have prefolds in the next size that you can use, you could just get 4 covers and 24 stay dry liners for $51.70. Or you could make it even cheaper by just going and buying a microfleece blanket from the store and cutting it up into rectangles (fleece won't fray so you don't have to worry about stitching it). And, depending on how many of the flip-like covers you have, you may not even need to buy covers, which would make it even cheaper (though it would be hard to resist getting even a few with the flip sale going on). I hope that helps!

Last edited by kbstanley3; 11-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
kbstanley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
How often are you changing? I prefer snappi'd prefolds. I very rarely had ebf poop escape with snappis. What size prefolds are you using?
When she's in cloth I have to change every 45 min to an hour bc she hates being wet. Even in the sposies as soon as she wets or poops she demands to be changed immediately. I just wish I could get two hours between changes during the day so I can get something done other than diaper duty lol. Now she's also sleeping six hours at night now but sometimes she gets up for a change, feeds for a few minutes to soothe herself and then she goes back down but we've been leaks.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

There are great suggestions here. But just wanted to add, if you get the microfiber inserts from Cottonbabies, don't put them right against baby's skin.

My suggestion is to call or email Green Mountain Diapers, for suggestions on augmenting your current stash. Karen is amazing.

You can keep using your prefolds, laid inside those Flip type covers. Gmd has fleece liners, and fleece topped hemp doublers, that are of an extremely hypoallergenic fleece. A lot of fleece has a lot of irritating chemicals in it. Green Mountain only sells things that are well proven, and economical, and they give incredible advice.

Still, frequent changes may be the way to avoid rashes. Even stay dry tops don't guarantee dry skin. The moisture can come back through, and the whole situation is humid. Stay dry fabrics also don't absorb quickly, so if she's a fast wetter you may still have leaks.

In our experience, it was plain old cotton birds eye flats (GMd) that kept his skin driest. But he still demanded a diaper change the minute he was wet.

So sorry you're having such a hard time, that is a challenging situation.