Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Finally Decided on Curriculum

I have, of course, agonized over which curriculums to use for the coming school year. I knew as our base we would be using HOD LHFHG, but I could not decide on math at all. Well, after looking at samples, I have decided that once we finish MUS Primer we will move to Singapore Standards K. It looks perfect for my daughter. We will also use AAR Level 1 as our phonics program. Now I just have to buy it all. ; p

What are you using next school year? What are you using now?

Advertisement

snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Finally Decided on Curriculum

MFW, MFW.

Seriously though, we use MFW 1st and plan to continue with Adventures next year. We use Singapore math 1A and B this year and will use 2A and B next year. Next year, we will be adding an extra grammar to MFW lit recommendations. That's it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MFW, MFW.

Seriously though, we use MFW 1st and plan to continue with Adventures next year. We use Singapore math 1A and B this year and will use 2A and B next year. Next year, we will be adding an extra grammar to MFW lit recommendations. That's it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Deciding on new curriculum is almost as exciting as actually receiving it!

My daughter is high school age and next year we are sticking with Teaching Textbooks for math. I prefer to teach her math myself (I love math), but it is her weakest subject and we quickly learned that I cannot teach her. I get frustrated when she doesn't understand because it's so easy for me and I don't understand why SHE can't understand it. It's best for me to sit back and let some computer program teach her.

Right now she is using Oak Meadow for English but she is not thrilled with it (I really like it) so I am open to finding something new. My only hard line is that it's secular, or if it's religious-based, it can be made secular.

For science, she is using CK-12's biology right now. We will probably stick with it for chemistry next year. Again, not too exciting but it's secular, it gets the job done, and it's free.

The only thing I haven't picked for next year is history. This year, she is studying world geography from Wieser Educational, which states itself to be a "resource for struggling learners."

Other than that, she'll pick her extracurriculars. I am making her take driver's ed this spring; she really, really, really doesn't want to! I told her she doesn't have to drive, but she at least needs to know how to drive and I prefer she has a license. She's been legally allowed to get a permit for a year and a half now and is not interested. She recently asked for a set of 2nd piercings in her earlobes and I said sure--when you get your permit. mwahahahaha! Other choices are Spanish (she's had it before), some kind of art--I would love to get her into a physical art class at the local community college but she has to be 16, some sort of computer applications class, etc. She can take as many as she can handle.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest will be in second. She'll do Singapore Math 3a/3b and Beast Academy, RSO: Earth and Space, SOTW 2, WWE 2, FLL 2, Cursive copywork, AAS (finish 3, start 4), reading good books.

My second oldest will be K by age. He will do AAS (level 1, maybe some of 2), maybe FLL 1 and WWE 1 halfway through the year, manuscript copywork, Singapore 1a/1b, SOTW 2, RSO: Earth and Space, reading good books.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
MFW, MFW.

We will go back to MFW the following year. We are using MFW K right now loving it. I don't think she'll be ready for all the writing in the 1st programnext year though. We will fo HODthis year and then MFW 1st. :-)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have not even thought about next year yet. I want to wait and see how the rest of this year goes. Glad you found your curriculum, that is always so much fun.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
Deciding on new curriculum is almost as exciting as actually receiving it!

My daughter is high school age and next year we are sticking with Teaching Textbooks for math. I prefer to teach her math myself (I love math), but it is her weakest subject and we quickly learned that I cannot teach her. I get frustrated when she doesn't understand because it's so easy for me and I don't understand why SHE can't understand it. It's best for me to sit back and let some computer program teach her.

Right now she is using Oak Meadow for English but she is not thrilled with it (I really like it) so I am open to finding something new. My only hard line is that it's secular, or if it's religious-based, it can be made secular.

For science, she is using CK-12's biology right now. We will probably stick with it for chemistry next year. Again, not too exciting but it's secular, it gets the job done, and it's free.

The only thing I haven't picked for next year is history. This year, she is studying world geography from Wieser Educational, which states itself to be a "resource for struggling learners."

Other than that, she'll pick her extracurriculars. I am making her take driver's ed this spring; she really, really, really doesn't want to! I told her she doesn't have to drive, but she at least needs to know how to drive and I prefer she has a license. She's been legally allowed to get a permit for a year and a half now and is not interested. She recently asked for a set of 2nd piercings in her earlobes and I said sure--when you get your permit. mwahahahaha! Other choices are Spanish (she's had it before), some kind of art--I would love to get her into a physical art class at the local community college but she has to be 16, some sort of computer applications class, etc. She can take as many as she can handle.
I know, right?!? I love unboxing day. I really want to try TT when we get to that level. We still have a ways to go.
That's a good idea to bargain with her for the piercings.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not entirely sure about next year yet, but what I WANT to do right now is:

For All:
MFW Exploration to 1850

For ODS:
Daily Grams for grammar (free online)
Possibly Ambleside list for lit choices
MUS Zeta (he has dyscalculia and struggles with math)
-Would love to add spanish here as well-

For MDS:
Daily Grams for grammar (free online)
Possibly Ambleside list for lit choices
-Vocab undecided, spelling undecided-
MUS Epsilon

For DD:
MUS Beta
-undecided on the rest-
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

Could I ask you to post specific links or descriptions of the products you purchased for Singapore? I'm a bit confused by the options for K. I bought a couple of workbooks...I can tell one of them will be review and might not keep his attention. I didn't purchase a guide or anything to go with the workbooks. Not sure exactly what I'll need.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote