Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
croark
Registered Users
seller

Re: HSing Check-In December 8-22

Do you think The Hobbit is too much for a 6 yr old?

Advertisement

croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes. Definitly yes. DD and ds are 11 and 10.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What about an almost 6 yr old that has seen Lord of the Rings and was okay with it?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Then probably just fine. My kids hadn't seen LOR

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
croark
Registered Users
seller

I didn't let my oldest watch LOR until she was 10. So she'll be fine with Hobbit. I haven't let the 6yr old watch LOR and wondered if Hobbit was about the same. Thanks for the heads up! She'll go to a friend's house as planned while the oldest and I go watch it.

Headed to our first Girl Scouts meeting today. Have a good day, guys!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jen that is great to find out. My mother can't visualize things in her head either. Like Tallanvor she doesn't see her dreams either. She rarely reads for pleasure because she can't "see" what is happening in books. That is not to say that she is anywhere near illiterate though, she can tear through a non-fiction book. She is one of the smartest people I know but not particularly creative. She is very math and numbers oriented. It used to drive me crazy when I was a child because we just couldn't understand each other. I hope the new program works well for him and you see improvements quickly.

As for us Kearnan had OT and ST evaluations in the past two weeks. The OT recommended therapy at least once but preferably twice a week. The ST was a little more reserved. Kearnan is not exactly speech delayed he has verbal planning problems. The ST recommended therapy but wasn't certain he would qualify. Now we wait for the insurance to come back and see what they cover. I was intending to give the boys the rest of the year off. Dh was talking about being off Thursday to spend time with a friend who just took placement of his first foster child (he needs to use the last of his vacation time before he loses it anyway). Then dh will be off Friday for Arawyn's birthday/anniversary. So I thought we would spend the week reading together, doing crafts and watching Christmas movies but I did need Kearnan to finish one math lesson plus a test as I didn't want to leave it for after the break. Unfortunately it took him 3 hours to finish his lesson today. I'm very disappointed in his behavior lately. He even changed his timer to try to make it seem like he hadn't taken too long to do his work. So now he is stuck never leaving my side because he has been lying. I'm not sure what else to do.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did anyone else download the free funnix programs? I signed up for both, and downloaded the first math part, but it wouldn't let me do the second part. I contacted customer support, and they told me to erase my cookies and clear cache files, ect. Now it's let me download the second part of the math, but it's not letting me download the reading.

I'm a bit discouraged already about this new reading plan. It's striking me as very similar to HOP K--it's all about color coded word families. We already did HOP K with Keegan last year, and it didn't work. It seems like he is doing more letter reversals with the new program than he was before. He didn't used to mess up b and p, and now he is, for example. It just seems similar to what we've done already, so I'm worried that it's not going to work. We're supposed to practice his word family card several times a day, which we have been doing. This morning I reviewed the ones we've already done. So far he has retained zilch from what we have practiced.

As far as other homeschooling stuff, we're just not doing much right now. We finished wrapping Christmas gifts yesterday. Right now Keegan outside shooting his BB gun. Any classes that can count as? Lol.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #28
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Shannon, we have the same issue with our oldest right now -- can't trust her with much these days it seems like. Very discouraging. I keep telling myself that my parents survived me and I turned out okay, so she will, too. Some days it even helps.

Jen, count that shooting as physics. lol

Well, we are just getting started on our day. I wasn't planning on the kids having much of a break, but I asked DH for a mini-vacation, so next week I will hopefully be going away (by myself) for a couple of nights. As I already told the kids they could have Monday and Tuesday, I suppose we'll take all of next week off. We might take tomorrow off, as well. Our church is the drop point for the local Angel Tree project and we have the local food bank (run by the ministerial association, so all the churches contribute). Tomorrow is when the food baskets get put together and I would like to take the kids and have them help with that.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

We seem to be flying through our school days lately. I am so thankful for my kids having such good attitudes. We are still just covering the basics and some extra Christmas stuff just for fun. Looking forward to a break next week and then starting up some new curriculum in Jan.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
croark
Registered Users
seller

cedavid, isn't it wonderful when it goes so well?!? And, ooooh, new curriculum.