Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Does MF actually work?

I am baffled by this. My son, sadly, is a super peer and pees through them so quickly I can hardly keep up (probably last 30 minutes... and hour if I got lucky) and I haven't used one since he was a new born because of it. I seriously have to have some sort of bamboo or he won't make it to the next diaper change (4 layer bamboo/mf is what I mostly use and nights I have to do cotton/bamboo with bamboo boosters) and I change during the day about every 2 1/2 hours and he's soaked the insert 90% of the time.

*sigh* are there really babies that can use mf for hours and not overflow? I have ALL these mf inserts and I really want to sell them but what if my next one isn't a super peer like their big brother? lol

Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
Re: Does MF actually work?
Maybe this link will help. It's just one person's kitchen-science data, but I found it interesting. It sounds like you either have to over-stuff his bum, or have you considered that maybe there's a leak going on? Like through the legs or the PUL (if that's what you use)...?
Made of Fleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Well, not all inserts are the same, regardless of fabric content. My heavy wetter (always heavier than any other stories I've read about cd comparisons) used BG pockets his first year (not counting the newborn stage). That microfiber worked very well. We'd add hemp when we went out on errands to make it last longer. By 1 year, we could no longer use pockets due to his heavy wetting issues. I've heard the microfiber with the China cheapies is really poor & doesn't last long. It really depends on what you're using.

ds (12/99), 4 mcs, LO (May 2010), Newb (April 2013), 5th mc
ravenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Registered Users

It works for my heavy-wetter son ( I have Kawaii HD2 inserts) but my problem is it gets mineral build up from hard water which then makes it harder to sanitize, which then makes it stink. I have resigned myself to having to routinely strip them. I usually put mf on top of either bamboo or hemp and never any leaks, although I will get leaks if I just use hemp or bamboo alone.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote