Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I feel like I deserve bad mom award...

My kids have been fighting cold, sore throats and the basic crud for a month and a half now. We have been back and forth to the doctor many times for each of them. I just figure it was the weather. And they would just have to deal with the runny nose and cough. Then I was hit with the bad new at today's doctor appt.

My DD1 woke up with extreme red eyes, both eyes. So I took her to the doctor along with the other two. She was diagnosed with severe double pink eye, severe double ear infection and the worst...MONO

Yep..I have cried off and on all day. She spiked a 102 fever this past Sunday. And for a week or so said the back of her neck hurt, but we just thought it was the way she was sleeping. She is a very sick little girl. And I blame myself for not knowing the signs. I can't believe my little 6 year old has Mono.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I feel like I deserve bad mom award...

Don't feel bad mama. We have all been sick here also. Strep started with me, went to all four kids. Ever had a 17 month old with strep, it stinks. Now my son can not get rid of it, he is on round two of antibiotics.
whitneywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

aw

That's something I would probably do. I'm not a huge fan of the doc, so my kids have to be practically dying, or it has to be something really chronic for me to take them.

It's ok mama. Kids get sick. It's part of growing up. Give her some extra snuggles and try not to beat yourself up!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Live and learn. :-)

Most of the time, doctors can't do anything to help until things get really bad. All the preventative visits are great for checking in their ears and throats and such, to spot infection, but until things ARE bad, they can't help you.

So you can learn from this situation what signs to watch for next time, and maybe check things out sooner.

Hang in there, mama.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
we have all been sick too. Its so awful.

I hope your dd feels better soon!!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters
Don't feel bad mama. We have all been sick here also. Strep started with me, went to all four kids. Ever had a 17 month old with strep, it stinks. Now my son can not get rid of it, he is on round two of antibiotics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
aw

That's something I would probably do. I'm not a huge fan of the doc, so my kids have to be practically dying, or it has to be something really chronic for me to take them.

It's ok mama. Kids get sick. It's part of growing up. Give her some extra snuggles and try not to beat yourself up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Live and learn. :-)

Most of the time, doctors can't do anything to help until things get really bad. All the preventative visits are great for checking in their ears and throats and such, to spot infection, but until things ARE bad, they can't help you.

So you can learn from this situation what signs to watch for next time, and maybe check things out sooner.

Hang in there, mama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
we have all been sick too. Its so awful.

I hope your dd feels better soon!!
Thank you. I just hate it. From what I know now, I feel she has been sick with it for at least 2 weeks. I am just trying to make her as comfy as possible. And not letting her see me cry.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The good news: Mono is usually a much milder and shorter illness in young kids. And there is really not much that can be done other than "supportive care". It is a virus - antibiotics do nothing. Keep her comfy and happy and she will be fine!

And don't beat yourself up for missing the signs. Many health care providers would miss it in a 6 year old, because we commonly think of it as an illness in teenagers and young adults. I've seen it missed in a 3 year old at a pediatric hospital - the parents were told the child had a deadly illness by a resident before the attending jumped in and figured out it was mono.

Finally - the test for mono has a VERY high false negative rate in the first week of illness. The patient has to be sick for two weeks before the test is very reliable. I usually won't even run a monospot until the patient has been sick for two weeks. Especially when you can't do anything to treat it anyway. So, testing earlier probably would have been pointless and probably would have falsely implied that the child didn't have mono.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be so hard on yourself, Mama. So glad your baby is on the mend.

My Mom had Mono when she was a teenager (the school nurse diagnosed her). She said that she probably had it for months. My G'ma never took any of her 6 kids to the doctor because of money issues. They're all still living.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
megkmc
Registered Users

So sorry to hear your little one has mono! But please try not to beat yourself up. There is no way a mom would hear those symptoms and jump to think, maybe she has mono. And like pps said, there is nothing to do, but try to keep here comfy.

I had mono as a teenager and I watched a lot of TV for a month! I say this for advise, not to scare you. When I had mono my tonsils got so swollen they touched in the back and were obstructing my swallowing, so I had to go to the hospital for IV steroids. I know that is an extreme case, I am just putting that out there so you will be sure to keep a close eye on your girls tonsils.

I hope everyone is recovered soon
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we have been sick for a month too- all of us. Not one of us has gone to the doctor. I do think I might take dd on Monday though (me too). She was feeling better but had a lingering cough then yesterday she woke up with one eye bloodshot- doesn't really look like pink eye- and just looking like she didn't feel well. I asked her if she was feeling ok and she said yes then a few seconds later she said her throat hurt when she swallowed. Most of the time the doc can't do anything because they are viruses so we don't go. The only reason I am thinking of going myself is that this funk doesn't seem to want to go away. Don't be hard on yourself- after so many visits to the doc when you hear "its a virus, just get rest" you kind of stop going for everything- especially when it seems like a cold.