Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

I love the picture thread, but....

I feel like I have so far to go. I don't know how to purge more. Well I guess I know. But I wonder if I really can do without? Does that make sense. Our home still feels heavy. I guess I answered my own question didnt I?

I guess i just need to kick myself in the butt and go at it again. Anyone else feelin in a slump?

Advertisement

Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I love the picture thread, but....

Photos sure make me realize how far I have left! But I have been challenged by them and enjoying major purging here. I just can't believe how much junk we have built up. I was big into flylady for years the about 3 years ago stopped it and yikes! It shows. So I am just baby stepping my way back to a less cluttered life just 15 minutes a day makes a big difference!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Every little bit helps. Sometimes organizing can help. Grouping like items from around the house will really show you what you have. In the past I've gone through and found handfuls of magazines throughout the house, some of them unread. Looks like we need to cut back on subscriptions. Putting all my hair ties together really showed me that I have way too many. Plus it gave me a place to remember to put them so I don't just put them on the corner of wherever. Rearranging what you have sometimes gives you a fresh view. I'm a big fan of 'one and done.' Only touch something once. If you find something that belongs in the pantry, don't go to the kitchen and put it on the counter in front of your pantry. Took me a long time to retool my mind to think it terms of clean and uncluttered. Sometimes you need to take a break from the purging and just learn to keep it at the level you are currently. Once you've learned to keep it clean and aren't fighting clutter each day, you'll have more time to purge again and get a new level of uncluttered.

Little steps, you'll get there.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I'm a big fan of 'one and done.' Only touch something once. If you find something that belongs in the pantry, don't go to the kitchen and put it on the counter in front of your pantry. Took me a long time to retool my mind to think it terms of clean and uncluttered. Sometimes you need to take a break from the purging and just learn to keep it at the level you are currently. Once you've learned to keep it clean and aren't fighting clutter each day, you'll have more time to purge again and get a new level of uncluttered.

Little steps, you'll get there.
I am the queen of this. I wonder if a lot of my problem is just not putting away the things that we do use. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Photos sure make me realize how far I have left! But I have been challenged by them and enjoying major purging here. I just can't believe how much junk we have built up. I was big into flylady for years the about 3 years ago stopped it and yikes! It shows. So I am just baby stepping my way back to a less cluttered life just 15 minutes a day makes a big difference!
I was into flylady too as well, but seem to have forgotten her baby steps. Maybe I need to hop on over there and do her challenges.
Join me on Swagbucks

Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was big into FlyLady for a while but I just couldn't do it. She was way too perky and all those testimonials for all of her products drove me nuts. Without the reminders in my inbox I failed every time. Unfortunately, those e-mails in my inbox made me start to go out of my mind because of all the pressure to buy her products. I understand her products are great and all, but I kinda have my own tools that I love, and even if I did use her tools, I wouldn't want to read about all the wonders of them all day long. It seems like it's turned into too much of a marketing gimmick to me.

Honestly, I feel like I just haven't gotten anywhere near where I want to be. Some of this stuff is hard to get rid of, like the books my aunt keeps sending for my kids. I love my aunt dearly, but it's hard to give away all those educational books. I know how much she spends on that stuff and it's really hard to tell her "No, really, no more books! We're out of room!" I feel really bad about giving the books away too, especially since my children range in age so much that they're never really "outgrown". Then there's my whole family with all the toys they send. Since the year before I met my partner I've given away probably 50-60 trash bags of toys, 20 of clothes, and another 20-30 of random other stuff. That's not including the baby gear and all of that stuff. Then there's all the stuff I've just thrown away because it got damaged or I'm just not interested in keeping it anymore. I could probably go through and still give away a lot of stuff too. I've got an entire bin of dance costumes, at least one if not two more boxes of toys, and a bunch of clothes that were given to me and I have no use for. Then there's all my daughter's clothes that she can no longer wear. The entire front of my garden tub is blocked off with stuff that's ready to go to donations as soon as we've got a ride out there.

I guess what I'm saying is I've been purging and purging and I guess I just feel purged out! I feel like I've gone through, organized, and gotten rid of so much stuff that I just don't want to do it anymore. I know it still needs to be done, especially as my family sent another scary amount of stuff for Christmas again, but I just don't want to do it anymore. Christmas has become incredibly depressing for me because it always ends with me asking what I'm supposed to do with all of this junk. We've tried suggesting useful things to the family, but I guess they just feel better sending toys and things because that's what kids want for Christmas. I'm not complaining, I'm just overwhelmed.

We've got enough boxes of Christmas presents to cover the wall from the foot of my bed to the head of my bed and stacked probably close to as high as the bed. That's a lot of boxes! I know that I really need to get off my tail and make room for the contents of them, but it's just so much stuff!

Sorry for the vent about my situation. I'm just overwhelmed as yet another box came today and I know I'm going to be expecting more from my older two's dad and their grandparents on that side. Thankfully the only possibility of more for my side is a present for my middle son's birthday from my mom and I've already got a place for that in mind. The holidays are just so overwhelming...
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I go through "phases" of purging, a few months ago I was on fire and had I taken pictures the house would have looked great, I was at a point where I could walk around the house and really couldn't find anything much to purge, most of what we had was used or loved, but just a few months later and I am just not feeling the need to be so minimal for some reason so the house is back to being a bit untidy.
It seems like it has to be a continual, never let your guard down thing and right now it's not happening for me, I think because it's hard at Christmas time with so much coming in and I am a bit tired. I also felt a bit mean getting rid of so many of the kids things, I've started to think lately "Does it really matter if they have a lot of toys?", they are only little once, they enjoy them, the get upset when I donate them. I just want them to be happy and occupied.
I hope the New year brings a fresh wave of purging energy!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasynFox View Post
Sorry for the vent about my situation. I'm just overwhelmed as yet another box came today and I know I'm going to be expecting more from my older two's dad and their grandparents on that side. Thankfully the only possibility of more for my side is a present for my middle son's birthday from my mom and I've already got a place for that in mind. The holidays are just so overwhelming...
Vent away, I think I'm purged out a little too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothlover8 View Post
I go through "phases" of purging, a few months ago I was on fire and had I taken pictures the house would have looked great, I was at a point where I could walk around the house and really couldn't find anything much to purge, most of what we had was used or loved, but just a few months later and I am just not feeling the need to be so minimal for some reason so the house is back to being a bit untidy.
It seems like it has to be a continual, never let your guard down thing and right now it's not happening for me, I think because it's hard at Christmas time with so much coming in and I am a bit tired. I also felt a bit mean getting rid of so many of the kids things, I've started to think lately "Does it really matter if they have a lot of toys?", they are only little once, they enjoy them, the get upset when I donate them. I just want them to be happy and occupied.
I hope the New year brings a fresh wave of purging energy!
I agree with the phases. and I understand the fact that the kids are only kids once too. It's like a catch 22.

Though the frustration of my house forced me to go through the kids dressers yesterday and I got rid of a whole garbage bag full of clothes. So I guess I need to just give myself credit for what I'm actually doing.
Join me on Swagbucks