Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WOW- where'd my 'roll' go???

Once I get at least a bag or small box worth of stuff, I pass it on through freecycle or craigslist. With my box I did a few days ago I was a little worried I'd be done for a while. But sure enough I spotted a sweatshirt that doesn't fit great and has a bleach spot on it. Then I spotted a travel wipes container just sitting on the shelf. I agree with the PP, your tolerance changes!

I do see small things to let go of, but I'm running out of the little stuff. The bigger projects are the ones that scare me. Like the wall of cabinets in the laundry room mostly full of tools. There's just so much stuff in there. Oh, and the small room in the attic. And the really big project would be to get DH to let go of some of his "treasures" in the attic like shoes/clothes that are not wearable and dare I say the boxes of every product he's ever owned. Even products he doesn't own anymore, he keeps the packaging. Give me 15 minutes and I could have that place thoroughly organized... instead it sits.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I find it so crazy how you can pass by something a hundred times and then one day you see and your like "PURGE!" lol Things that I've thought for so long I couldn't do without and then I actually think about it. I haven't used the item in a long time...yes I SHOULD be using it but I know that I won't. So I toss it. I know I won't miss it...I need to get off here and back to work lol
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
I find it so crazy how you can pass by something a hundred times and then one day you see and your like "PURGE!" lol Things that I've thought for so long I couldn't do without and then I actually think about it. I haven't used the item in a long time...yes I SHOULD be using it but I know that I won't. So I toss it. I know I won't miss it...I need to get off here and back to work lol
yup, i have done this too! here one thing i wanted to hang my dh on. we had this toster we used mabe 1-2xs a mo. so i got ride of it & just toasted my bread in the oven when we wanted toast. guess what he dose.....buys another one 2mo later & not a chep one eather. he buys a $50. one just to use mabe 2xs a mo!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
So true! I think a big part of it is that you don't realize how much you use something until you question it at each round of purging. By the 3rd time around you realize I haven't touched it since I first considered getting rid of it 3 months ago, why am I hanging on to it?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels View Post
i wanted to send u & to let u know that u wont always b purging truck loads of stuff. it will get to b less & less to the point where @ time u will b looking for stuff to purge when your in the mood. (like i have been :giggle) also, it will get to the point when a major purge used to b bags & bags fill up the car to a bag of clothing your child just outgrew or a few items here & there u decided u no longer need. i remember when i started out. the beging is the hardest. it dose get easer over time.
Thanks, mama! It's already a lot better than it was! I think I just getting really tired and hormonal easily now, but I'm in hardcore nesting mode now and driving myself crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405 View Post
I think a big part of it is that you don't realize how much you use something until you question it at each round of purging. By the 3rd time around you realize I haven't touched it since I first considered getting rid of it 3 months ago, why am I hanging on to it?
This for sure!
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnchy_mama_lala View Post
I am also starting to feel like it will never be done because I've been at it for so long and am still going.
This is how I often feel. But I'm still plugging away at it. DH dropped a box off at Goodwill for me yesterday, and today I cleaned out my craft closet and filled the back of the van again. I definitely see improvement, but I know it will be another few rounds before I get to a point where I feel like I'm just maintaining.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I definitely lost my roll...I REALLY need to find it since we are moving in 28 days. I have so much to get done and purging and packing are daunting so I keep avoiding them. I have been doing lots of holiday sewing so that is good but my goal tonight and today is to get some purging done.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sometimes after purging for a wihle I find myself at a stalemate, so I rearrange and organize. If I've cleared a few knick knacks off each shelf in the house, then I can take one small bookcase and disttribute it to the open areas now. Now that bookcase can go. Or I can move one of the small shelving units out of the playroom since I don't have that many toys in there anymore. Those are bigger changes that reinvigorate me when I feel like I'm slowing down. It's a big change that is easy to see so it motivates me to keep going. Sometimes I go into the playroom at night when the girls are asleep and clean it to perfection, since it's the most decluttered room. It doesn't take long, so I do it quickly, and then look around, settle down in a bean bag chair, and just twiddle with a puzzle piece or smooth block or something in my hands. It's so relaxing and calming to have a room where there's a place for everything and everything is in its place. It's a good reminder why I do what I do.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote