Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Greasy hair with shampoo bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
AutumnRose, I know it's not the question you're looking for an answer on, but I recently started using a very dilute mix of tea tree, mint, and eucalyptus oils with some grapefruit seed extract on my scalp once a week or so (leaving it on for 15 mins to an hour before a shower). I did it to lessen the smelliness of my hair oil and to reduce oil production. It has done both. While I'm concerned that it could be harsh depending on the nature of your scalp irritation, when I was doing the research for my concoction, it seemed like the mint and the presence of something naturally antibacterial in particular were supposed to help with dandruff and other scalp problems. Just a thought provided these are oils you keep on hand? If it bothers you, you could jump in the shower in a jiffy I suppose.
Sorry didnt notice this earlier! I dont have the grapefruit but the other oils I have.

I couldnt handle the headaches from the h n s so I just tried acv with peppermint oil. Seems to be nice on my scalp, not sore at lest. But my hair still is greasy. Course I might have to go through the getting used to natural stuff stage again, er.

I also made a concoction last night of chamomile tea (it was a stash blend and had wintergreen in it too) with a tsp of some homemade castile shampoo and a tsp of baking soda. I didnt need to add anything else, my hair combed right through no problem. This morning my hair looks like I skipped washing it yesterday...sigh...but scalp is feeling great!

So its like I either have a sore scalp or I have to deal with greasy looking hair, theres no winning!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchlish View Post
I am NAK so I can't check which kind exactly, but it's the one with Evening primrose oil. I add some GSE to it, too.
Excuse my ignorance...GSE?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

AutumnRose, GSE is the grapefruit seed extract that I already mentioned. But I've been discovering with more research that its antibacterial properties seem to have been rather soundly refuted. Apparently the presence of antibacterial properties was merely a residual effect of the preservatives used in making GSE. So I will try leaving out the GSE next time.

As for mint, it is supposed to reduce oil production somewhat if you leave it on your scalp for a good while. However it is the tea tree oil that would work to reduce the bacterial colonies that make the smell.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems.

I have previously enjoyed some Aubrey organics products but have not tried their shampoos or conditioners due to the expense. They are one of the pricier organic brands and also seem to be more natural than other "organic" brands. With my Christmas money in mind I have taken a splurge on this (I always use shampoo and conditioner; I'm not a no-poo gal. The oils I was recommending were only for a pre-shower treatment): http://www.vitacost.com/aubrey-organ...tment/?NttSR=1 It doesn't seem to have consistent reviews, but a number of people with really problematic scalps as well as oily hair say it is a godsend (one person with oily hair said she can actually go two days without a shower now). I figured I'd use it once a week for a while and see how that goes. I haven't received it yet.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I've read frequently that if it's a bar, it leaves crud in your hair or on your skin. That's just how it goes, the same stuff that makes it solid leaves solids on you.

This is our experience too... Solid soaps mean more frequent shower scrubbing, than body washes, even the soaps we love... Kirks is my fave and so I just scrub the shower more often.

Vinegar isn't always enough to cut soap residue, as you've found.