Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What to do with my just turn 2 DD?

as far as books go.. I look at how many words are on the page, how fun the illustrations are and if it's a topic she will enjoy.

I know my daughter doesn't like to spend TOO much time on each page, unless I can point out parts of the stories in the illustrations, so if it has a whole paragraph on it (Little Golden Books, for instance), then she's not ready. She does well with nursery rhymes which actually have quite a bit of text on each page, but I can point to the illustrations as I read, so it holds her interest.

As far as purchasing, I have taken several recommendations from this forum (do a search for favorite children's books.. many threads are likely to pop up), I go onto Amazon and most of them have the whole 'look inside' thing, so I look and decide if it's a now book or a wish list book.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really don't agree with the societal push towards very early reading, writing and math. I try to foster communication, curiosity, attentiveness, perseverance and love of learning through conversation, play type activities, music, crafts, etc in my 2 year old but I have never done any formal "lesson". She has naturally picked up shapes, colors and most letters. Many of my sahm friends have their 2 year olds in preschool this year and I just don't see the benefit. I try not to compare my child to another child scholastically or otherwise...they are their own people and what you know at 3 years old is not an indication of where you will be at 10 or 20 or 30. IMO a normal/advanced intelligence kid does not need to be ahead of his peers in formal subjects going into school...IMO it does a disservice to the child as the biggest part of early education is learning how to learn in that setting. If the child already knows what is being taught it is a recipe for distraction and lazy study habits.

Disclaimer: I have been in school for 25 of my 29 years of life. Education is lifelong and structured, formal education is DRAINING. I am about to finish my PhD and I have taught many VERY smart engineering students who have trouble with independent thought (vs. recitation). Our society and school system has such a binge-and-purge learning structure and IMO it really isn't good for fostering practical problem solving and complex thought.

OK. rant over. sorry it is a little off topic
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will be the voice of dissent. I don't think early learning is harmful for children and if I could go back I would have done more with my older children. I regret waiting so long to start teaching reading and other preschool skills to my oldest.

I don't think you should push toddlers or do formal stuff but I think little brains are primed for learning just like they pick up language they can pick up other stuff too. It sounds like what you are doing is fine. She already knows a lot for a 2 year old. However you are teaching her is working since she picked up so much. You can do letter sounds and rote counting of objects next. Once she knows sounds reading bear and starfall is a great resource. They might not get anything from it but it certainly isn't harmful.

Most of a toddlers time should be spent playing and exploring and they need lots of time for undirected play. They should spend a lot of their time playing and being creative and a lot of time outdoors no matter the season. You can go outside in the winter

I also think that you can take a little bit of time when they are little and teach them stuff as long as they are happy to do it. If they show signs of resistance you stop and try again at another time. There is no pressure when they are 2 and if you feel pressured stop and take a step back ad realize she is just a toddler and has plenty of time. Early learning isn't a negative thing as long as there is no pressure and it is something they like and it doesn't get in the way of play which is the most important thing. Also it is important to not compare kids or start worrying that they are behind if they just are not interested.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 12-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use Letter of the Week sometimes for ideas. It is free and gives you some direction. We pick and choose activities=== we definitely don't do them all!

http://letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory.html
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiekitty View Post
Thanks mamas for your encouragements. . We love to play outdoors too but the weather turn cold this time of year . Looking forward to Spring . We will start our Kumon books next year and I bet we will have fun folding, cutting and sticking stickers. I bought some wooden puzzles and she loves it, I can c the improvement in her puzzle solving skill. We have mega blocks too. And yes, we r working on teaching her to drink from a cup, washing her hands, etc.

HELP: I am running out of idea what books should I read to her!!! How do u decided what books to buy or borrow from the library? How u know the book is appropriate for her level?
Try a couple different levels from the library and see what she's interested in. Id say no more than 3 sentences a page. Most research has shown that kids who start school "ahead" in reading/math even out by the 3rd grade anyway
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiekitty
Thanks mamas for your encouragements. . We love to play outdoors too but the weather turn cold this time of year . Looking forward to Spring . We will start our Kumon books next year and I bet we will have fun folding, cutting and sticking stickers. I bought some wooden puzzles and she loves it, I can c the improvement in her puzzle solving skill. We have mega blocks too. And yes, we r working on teaching her to drink from a cup, washing her hands, etc.

HELP: I am running out of idea what books should I read to her!!! How do u decided what books to buy or borrow from the library? How u know the book is appropriate for her level?
Talk to your children's librarian if your library has one. I'm sure they can recommend books. Our library has an early literacy section with book suggestion lists through 36 mo old, I think.

We typically pick books we liked at storytime or just pick books randomly. DD loves the "easy reader" books b/c there is more of a story than a board book, but not too many words per page. Richard Scarry's "Cars and Trucks and Things that Go" is great too b/c there are so many things to look at on each page. My DD is into trains/trucks though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wanted to add that I think imagination is a super important skill to foster and encourage at this age. We tell stories each night (really short ones about simple things, like a duck swimming in a pond) but good to imagine in their minds. I just discovered The Mailbox magazine at my library and there are some great ideas in there too for fun learning. Also, don't forget that even more of the basic puzzles she can do really fast, etc. are still good for her to do because they are helping build confidence too.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take my DD to the library and let HER pick out the books she wants. Also, letting her experiment with different writing utensils and playing with play-doh are really fun for her while working on fine motor skills. She is 2 1/2 and is just now liking "worksheet" type activities (because she gets stickers to decorate after she finishes them). But I honestly just use that sort of thing to help her learn to sit still. At this age, it's more about teaching them to love learning and to pay attention. The most my DD can sit to work on anything is 15-20 minutes (and this includes fun art activities). If you try too much too early, you risk making her dislike school and learning.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I take my DD to the library and let HER pick out the books she wants. Also, letting her experiment with different writing utensils and playing with play-doh are really fun for her while working on fine motor skills. She is 2 1/2 and is just now liking "worksheet" type activities (because she gets stickers to decorate after she finishes them). But I honestly just use that sort of thing to help her learn to sit still. At this age, it's more about teaching them to love learning and to pay attention. The most my DD can sit to work on anything is 15-20 minutes (and this includes fun art activities). If you try too much too early, you risk making her dislike school and learning.
this. I was going to recommend play - doh . That will strengthen her hand muscles making cutting and writing easier.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't do a lot of lessons yet, just lots of reading and discovery. We have a website for our city that compiles just about every kid related activity. Every week I would look at the calendar and pick one thing for each day. We didn't always make each activity but the plan was there. Each library has a free program that involves learning, reading, music, dance, etc. There are classes the both or just the child can take (swimming, dance, etc). Play gyms are always fun and a nice break for the days you just need to get out of the house and let the kids run around. Sometimes we went to the mall and walked around or I let the girls play in the play area. As for books, I always just pick random books up and quickly flip through it. At this stage it's good to have lots of rhyming words and repetition of phrases. I avoid books with super long paragraphs on each page. Jim Trelease has some really good advice about read alouds. I have his book but his website is here http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/r...ury-intro.html
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote