Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
mamacita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you manage your home when expecting and ill?

We are a month into my being really sick with this pregnancy. In previous pregnancies, I have been sick as long as 5 months, so at this point I cant see the end. Anyway, 4 weeks into it, and the house is dirty, the kids are not getting enough sleep, the laundry is out of control, etc. I do not have family around who can help me out. DH is doing lots, but it just is not the same.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you manage your home when expecting and ill?

((hugs))! I feel for you! I had all day sickness with #4 for 13 weeks and the house went to you know where in a hand basket! Freezer meals and the crockpot (put in the bedroom and not the kitchen so the smell didn't waft through the house so much) were my best friends. We had a lot of breakfast suppers during that time too (egg city).

I had DH change loads for me, but I would fold (I piled laundry on the big chair so I wouldn't have to bend down as much) and put away. The house just had to be dirtier than normal and I had to remind myself that it was just for a season. My family isn't around me either. DH's parents live down the road, but his mom can't really clean because of her physical issues. She did help watch my oldest son who was potty-trained and understood the word "no". Just getting 1 kiddo out of the house was helpful.

The boys did watch more tv than usual and when I felt better, we resumed our normal amount. They didn't seem too scarred.

DH's are wonderful and just remember to thank him and not tell him how you would do it, even if his way makes no sense or is a lot harder of a way to do things! Learned this one the hard way from c/s recoveries! haha.

Do you take Vitamin B for the sickness? Ask your care provider about it... It helped me some!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
mamacita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mama. Last night DH told me that it is HARD trying to keep up with the house, and I said, I know, right? I do appreciate everything he is doing.

We are definitely doing more TV than usual! I have decided not to feel guilty about it at all.

I havent tried just Vit B - my multivitamin has loads of it in it, but I cant take that, it makes me so sick. I will see about just Vit B.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hang in there momma! Let the small stuff slide... this season won't last forever. This has been my easiest pregnancy in terms of built in help, but in previous ones it was very hard. We don't live near any family, so we had zero help. This time my 11 yr old was able to make lunches for his siblings and even dinner on the evenings that DH was working a 24 hr shift. DH did his best keeping up with laundry, dishes and meals and everything else was put on the back burner. I was so embarrassed by my house, but was too sick and exhausted to really care.

Can you hire a mother's helper to come in a couple of afternoons a week? Look for a 12-14 yr old home schooler that you can compensate minimally to clean the kitchen or bathroom and play with the kiddos for a few hours so that you can rest. They might even be able to help with dinner prep and laundry depending on age and home training.

Hope this helps and encourages you. Before too long you will be feeling better and holding a sweet squishy!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
WV_JLT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In the end, what will you remember? The clutter or the kids? I'm generally neurotic, but its just not happening this year. U can do that later...
WV_JLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
How old are your little ones and do u have a church family?
I tell people often that the hardest time was when all my kids were little. That's when dinner was never on time the laundry never done the house was a mess and my day was spent with crying children trying to keep kids from crying trying to keep me from crying. Then one day I had a well trained 7 year old and my life was changed forever! Now having lots of kids is no problem because my team is bigger
Another thing too is in general some minor changes to simplify your household can cut down in a lot if work and strife! Literally pack up your house until u are not sick anymore. Pack ur kids like you are going away for a week. 4 outfits each and 2 sets of jams- now it's a manageable amount if laundry. U can even just assign a room basket for each kid. Don't worry about putting the laundry away- just sort. Pack up all toys except 3 main things they play with. Nothing that will take u longer than 20 min to pick up. Put the other things out and take out in special days only. Those kinds of changes and crock pot meals will make life easier
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've come to accept that when 1st tri for us means NOTHING gets done. We normally eat out everyday (or eat junk/snacks/ cereal), nothing gets cleaned unless DH commandos the kids together, homeschool slids (some but they are getting self-sufficent now that they're older).
I just keep remembering- this too shall pass.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Basically, everything happens that I swear should never happen in my house: Tons of TV (PBS, but still), lots of takeout, sandwiches every day, junk food, and more TV.

And Zofran. It is my friend
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
blueyes
Registered Users

I move around when I was pregnant, so I was doing lighter chores that is fit for an early stage of pregnancy. Good thing DH's mother offered to help me with taking care of the house and even cooked meals for us.
blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just don't get as much done and just let everyone know that it just isn't going to happen. If you have folks over just explain how sick and tired you feel. My FIL had the nerve to complain about the house and I almost exploded at him. I just try to control the kids clothes, use a spray bottle and a dust mop once a day on the hardwood floor(my 11 yo loves to help out with this), and keep on my husband about keeping his stuff picked up.