Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
March
Registered Users
seller

Twin pregnancy nutrition help!

Hi, ladies--

So I was doing great with my midwife's recommendation of 3,000 calories and 125g of protein per day, but I slacked a bit on protein while I was potty-training dd. I got myself all whacky and now I'm havig some blood sugar problems.

I've been monitoring, and I can keep my levels stable with diet. I would ideally want to not risk out of my midwife's practice, obviously, so I am taking this pretty seriously. But I need some help!

I need some, well, anti-recipes--something more like FAST-to-prepare food combinations that are high-calorie but will not cause my blood glucose levels to spike. I don't like cooking even when I'm not pregnant, but I'm also required to rest and am not supposed to be on my feet much at this point. I'm 28 weeks. My husband is happy to put meals together for me when he's home, but he has no idea what he can make for me! So his ideas always end up being too carb-y or just not enough calories.

I eat a boiled egg with every meal and I use a hemp protein powder in lots of liquids. I need help planning creative but QUICK ways to make use of meats, cheeses, green vegetables, nut butters, and eggs. We just began receiving WIC and I'd like to use as much of those items as possible; however, I can't ask WIC to adjust my vouchers for low-carb unless I have a GD diagnosis, which I neither have nor want.

I have no food allergies but am sort of picky. I don't like onions or bell peppers. I love anything creamy or cheesy, but I haaaaate making sauces from scratch. Still, if I could batch cook sauces that would remain stable enough to freeze in single serving containers and reheat, I'd do that! I've never found a stable enough cream or cheese sauce recipe for that, though.

Advertisement

March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Twin pregnancy nutrition help!

I would eat at least a cup of greek yogurt each day...cabot makes a nice high fat plain kind that is great in smoothies or with honey. It has like 16 grams of protein in a cup.

There are also simply chicken chicken nuggets made by purdue that don't have any weird ingredients in them...they are really easy to heat up, taste yummy and might be a nice way to quickly get some protein in your system for lunch or a snack.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
March
Registered Users
seller

Greek yogurt is one of my favorite foods... And one of my biggest aversions this pregnancy! Gumbo, too, and it's winter in South Louisiana, so it's all anyone is serving!!

Those chicken nuggets sound fabulous. Any idea what grocers carry them? We have Kroger, Walmart, Albertson's, and Market Basket here.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I'm totally interested in these replies too! I am at 24 weeks, but have a super hard time hitting those numbers with twins. I can tell you some things my midwife and I have discussed since I am also picky, a lot more pregnant than normally It sounds like you are doing good on eggs, but quiche is also a great way to get more eggs if you get tired of the boiled. I wish I could eat boiled eggs, but not so much right now... I'm supposed to eat 1/2 a quiche a day for breakfast and some snacks. They are pretty easy to prepare ahead of time, and you can easily make them without peppers, onions, and crust. A good lunch, I've found, is grilled cheese with turkey and avocado on Dave's killer bread. I mostly avoid bread, but there is actually quite a bit of protein in Dave's. Shrimp? It only takes a few minutes to cook some up. I'm supposed to eat fish every day since I have an aversion to red meat and pork, oh, and most protein rich foods Somehow I'm ok with fish. Weird. Anyways, I hope some other people chime in with good ideas! I would love some easy sauces like you mentioned. Yum! Burritos with ground meat, beans, and quinoa are easy to prepare in advance if you can get low carb tortillas. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
jodiariel
Registered Users

My twins are almost 9 weeks old and I'll tell you that I dont think I hit the protein # once during my pregnancy and my girls were born at 40w0d @ 6lbs13oz and 6lbs9oz. I didnt have a single complication my whole pregnancy and only gained 17lbs. As long as you are healthy, and eating healthy those #'s are guidelines not hard and fast rules. Don't stress yourself if you don't ht the #'s.
I am a super picky eater who hates to cook. I got some of my protein from frozen foods.. stuffed chicken breasts (20g each and I could eat 2), beef ravioli. Also snacks like peanut butter graham crackers. I used chocolate peanut butter and made sandwiches with the graham crackers and froze them. I would grab a little freezer bag everytime I went out and ate them in the car.
HTH!
jodiariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
theoriginalpumpkin
Registered Users
seller

I never ate much during pregnancy before. I think that was the case as I put down a grocery store when preggers with the triplets. Steak...burger...etc. All protein was welcome!
theoriginalpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard sunbutter has high protein. I haven't done the research myself, but you can buy it at Target. Just like peanut butter, but with sunflowers . Congrats by the way
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could add wheat germ to things. It has a good amount of protein and fiber too. I snack on nuts a lot during the day. I'm struggling with the same thing. I might resort to a protein powder. I'm vegetarian and my appetite has been non-existant since I got preggo with the twins. I agree with a pp that it's hard to get the recommended amount. Just do the best you can and try not to stress about it too much.
ilovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
iloveec
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good info, thanks. I'm struggling with this right now with bad ms.
iloveec is offline   Reply With Quote