Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cooking for larger families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ6Mommy View Post
I have lowered the amount of meat I make at a meal because my kids are serious meat eaters and it is too expensive now. I have started making two loaves of bread at night when we are having steak, roasts, chicken, anything that is not a large portion. They can eat seconds on bread if they are still hungry and have eaten the main coarse,starch,and veggie. Also salad a lot of salad.
Yes, salad! My kids will eat 3-4 helpings of salad with a meal

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are only really starting to get to this point. My dh is not home a lot for dinner and my 9 yr old boy is really starting to eat a lot.
Our biggest issue though is 5 yr old ds is allergic to cows milk so I have to modify or make him something special. It is hard.
But I try to always have lots of fruit & veggies and bread, but not too much bread. I love my crockpot and will serve chicken with noodles. We are a big pasta family. I try to use leftovers for my lunch and send it with dh too, the kids don't care to eat leftovers much but sometimes I force them
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

So glad this post came up. My husband brought this up less than a week ago. My meals aren't big enough anymore. We are a family of 7 with one OTW. To add frustration my husband is super picky with ALOT of allergies. Then on top of that I've been EXHAUSTED this pregnancy and super nauseous. The kids have ate oatmeal for dinner a couple of nights and I have shamefully resorted to processed foods like stoffers family size lasagna or Tyson chicken fingers. I try to stay away from processed foods but this pregnancy has brought me to a new low. Any how MY HUSBAND HAS SUGGESTED SAMS CLUB SHOPPING.....HE SAYS IT'S TIME. ANYONE DOING THIS WITH SUCCESS?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I go to Sam's Club for certain things and then buy bulk things they don't carry at a different, local shop. I find a lot of great deals at SC. I don't know about the meats, milk, and eggs as we raise those ourselves though.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I find wegmans to be cheaper than costco for meats and a few other things (mainly things that i can buy wegmans brand or things I don't want a ton of), but we buy tons of stuff at costco. I have always shopped there even before we were a family of 8.

For cooking, I cook like 2 9x13 casserole dishes of everything (I have 4 teen sons). I notice now that 2 of mine do football practice year round, we go through a LOT more food. So, snacks for them during 2 a days is eggs or stuffed baked potatoes. We do tons of potatoes, mac and cheese or rice each meal.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I go to Sams for.some things and Aldis for others. I like to switch off Sams one week and aldi the next.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
blackberry75
Registered Users

If at all possible, become friends w/ farmers-even if its small farms. We used to raise our own chickens, which was good for eggs/meat, but don't have that option any more. However, because we are still friends w/ a lot of people from that area we can usually barter or get a good price on eggs, veggies, poultry/beef. An added benefit is we know how the animals live/are treated. I know that's not always possible, depending on where you live, but you can also look up farms local to you online and see if anyone does sell directly to the public. You can usually get a better price/quality that way. Even buying a quarter or half a cow at a meat market will be cheaper/better quality in the long run (plus you will be sure the ground meat comes from one animal).

Also, when serving a roast or other meats, slice thinnly. It looks like more if you have 3 thin slices that would be the same as a regularly sliced portion. Plus, even a cheap cut taste more tender when it's sliced very thin. If you make a quick pan sauce to cover the meat w/ it makes it look like a larger portion as well.

Another thing I do w/ poulty is never buy parts, only whole birds. Then I cut it up myself and freeze the parts. It's much cheaper per pound, and I can freeze the carcas to make broth from at my convience.

Whenever possible I will substitute or add beans to a dish to stretch out the protien portion. I just took recipes they already loved and sneaked the beans in. You kinda have to play around w/ your recipes to see where your family will tolerate the substitution. My family will gobble up some dishes, and shun others. It all comes down to their personal taste.

Veggies, veggies, veggies. I've been able to double the portion of some cassaroles w/ veggies alone. Having a small main dish, but 3 or 4 large sides of veggies makes it more filling (as pp have said). Sure we only have a tiny bird, but tons of fried yams, glazed carrots, greenbeans and a large salad. Everyone gets full.

Tortillas, at every dinner. They are easy, if time consuming, to make, they freeze well and I can't really screw them up like I can leven breads. They're just flour, water and fat(lard, butter, oil). If you have a bread maker, you can throw the ingredients in there to get mixed, then just portion, roll, fry in a dry pan. Just put some butter on them, dip them in soups, or use to scoop up food like a spoon. Plus they make easy snacks during the day, just spread w/ peanutbutter, add cheese and microwave, add butter, cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat, or just plain w/ some butter.

After dinner I always offer everyone fruit and cheese. If there are any nooks or crannies that needs filled, this is an inexpensive way to do it. Plus it's a heathier option than a traditional dessert.

Lastly, I always plate the meals in the kitchen and serve it resturant style. If the kids only see a full plate in front of them, but not how little there actually is, they seem to get fuller faster. If I set the table home style, they actually eat more. Don't ask me how or why that works, it just does. I discovered it entirely by accident and just stuck w/ it because it works.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
I just automatically double or triple or x4 a recipe. I always want to have leftovers as DH takes a serving to work and once a week we take out all the leftovers and that is our supper (tidbits of everything). Right now doubling will feed us all with a couple leftovers. Tripling or x4 will ensure a nice freezer meal or two for later eating.
This is what I do. Whatever I'm making, I double it. Sometimes that means leftovers, sometimes it's just enough. I suppose if I had enough cookware to triple recipes, there'd always be leftovers but I am limited at the moment.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley View Post
So glad this post came up. My husband brought this up less than a week ago. My meals aren't big enough anymore. We are a family of 7 with one OTW. To add frustration my husband is super picky with ALOT of allergies. Then on top of that I've been EXHAUSTED this pregnancy and super nauseous. The kids have ate oatmeal for dinner a couple of nights and I have shamefully resorted to processed foods like stoffers family size lasagna or Tyson chicken fingers. I try to stay away from processed foods but this pregnancy has brought me to a new low. Any how MY HUSBAND HAS SUGGESTED SAMS CLUB SHOPPING.....HE SAYS IT'S TIME. ANYONE DOING THIS WITH SUCCESS?

Hugs momma! I was just there... it took me a couple of months to finally convince myself that it was only temporary and we would all survive. I even resorted to buying generic captain crunch just because it was something that I could stomach. My children also ate generously from those bags as well. A friend came over and saw it in a container and couldn't believe I had it in my home. I simply said, we needed to eat and I could keep this down. It does get better. I have been able to resume most of our normal cooking starting around 20-22 weeks. And some things I just had to let go of like making all of our bread products from scratch. I just don't have the energy or care right now to add that in. We miss it, but will survive a but longer without it!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley

Hugs! My last pregnancy was not fun at all. DH was deployed a lot of it. I remember 1 week my kids ate lunchables for dinner every night. They loved it, I did not.