Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Rice/Soy/OR lactaid?

Ok, so my BFing days are over, Ive admited DEFEAT. DS hasnt nursed in about 2 months, Im talking COLD TURKEY almost, was REALLY Weird and tragic for me HE slacked off during daytime b/c of what I thought was teething pain, and only to sleep or at night OCCASIONALY, then it just slowly started to be less and less
Hes lactose sensitive, so should I be offering him Lactaid whole milk ? Or can I offer him Rice or Soy milk instead?? He WONT take formula AT ALL and the bottle IS OUT.. I have A TON of EBM that I dont know what to do with, I cant keep it for the next b/c thats a couple years away...

Advertisement

Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rice/Soy/OR lactaid?

How old is your little one?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oops, I see in your siggy now. He won't take formula or breastmilk in a sippy or bottle OR breastfeed? I've heard of moms having to syringe feed babies who do this. Can you mix your breastmilk with food and spoon feed? Someone else probably knows better (I usually don't comment on things that I don't have personal experience with but I have a friend who went through something similar for a short period) but I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have soy or rice milk yet as a substitute.

Last edited by eyelashes; 05-14-2007 at 06:40 AM.
eyelashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama I'm crying for you. How hard! I will be honest I know nothing of lactaid but I stay away from too much soy. We do rice milk for the kids. It's safer than almond milk because of nut allergies otherwise I'd go almond. I'd just make sure to get the rice milk fortified with calcium, etc...

Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd check with a pediatrician before anything if your baby is only 8mo old. He needs the vitamins and nutrients since milk is a meal for him.

But once he's actually able to take whole milk, I'd do lactaid if he's lactose intollerant.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

i would try the breast milk in a cup or sippy. or even like the PP said, mix it in with food (mashed potatoes, etc) my dd is 2 and can't tolorate cow milk. i've been giving her soy milk and just bought her rice milk to try. she seems to like it. it's actually white. not as thick, has a less offensive odor and comes in a smaller package so half the container won't be wasted when the stuff goes bad (in about 10 days...)
we tried lactaid but dd still had a reaction to it.
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check with the pedi, I know I had to BF DS until he turned one before they tried anything. I'd offer him the BM in a sippy to see if he'll drink it.

Mine will only drink it from a sippy. Same with his lactaid milk now. Both have to be really warm.
mmskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelashes View Post
Oops, I see in your siggy now. He won't take formula or breastmilk in a sippy or bottle OR breastfeed? I've heard of moms having to syringe feed babies who do this. Can you mix your breastmilk with food and spoon feed? Someone else probably knows better (I usually don't comment on things that I don't have personal experience with but I have a friend who went through something similar for a short period) but I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have soy or rice milk yet as a substitute.
he does take what little BM is mixed with cereal and food, but will not have ANY BM from a sippy and has NEVER liked a bottle. I would say total intake per day is around 6 ozs of BM and this is expressed and added into foods...

I think it may have changed in taste from meds that I was on for awhile and now he is unwilling to try again, at this point he just turns his head and SCREAMS while arching his back like Im a leper or something!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
Oh mama I'm crying for you. How hard! I will be honest I know nothing of lactaid but I stay away from too much soy. We do rice milk for the kids. It's safer than almond milk because of nut allergies otherwise I'd go almond. I'd just make sure to get the rice milk fortified with calcium, etc...

Hope that helps.
Why stay away from SOY??
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmskids View Post
Check with the pedi, I know I had to BF DS until he turned one before they tried anything. I'd offer him the BM in a sippy to see if he'll drink it.

Mine will only drink it from a sippy. Same with his lactaid milk now. Both have to be really warm.

again, I think its the meds and AF( she returned last month) that has changed the taste, and I know it seems harsh for both, but my mental health vs. forcefully trying BF is going to win out.. I have realized that he will more easily accept the EBM in the freezer in food than the freshly EBM...he DEFINATELY knows a difference...