Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
meredithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rice/Soy/OR lactaid?

Hi,

I'm soo soo sorry!!!!!

Are you still pumping?
If you are still pumping, I would pump all I could and put it in a sippy, or regular cup, or straw cup, or whatever he will drink from.

Do you go to la leghe league? Or have you talked to a lactation consultant?
You can look on the la leche league website to find a leader near you. Or call the hospital near where you live, or your local health dept. has breastfeeding counsellors and lactation consultants too. they might be able to help you.

It looks like from your earlier post that you really would like to still be breastfeeding. Will he latch on at all? do you think he's upset because the milk isn't flowing fast enough for him? If that's the case Maybe an sns would save your nursing relationship.

I have the number of a lll leader here near me if you want it, but I know the ones in huntsville are probably closer to you. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.

Advertisement

meredithmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikecloth View Post
Why stay away from SOY??
I think the phytoestrogens in soy can be too much for some people, especially boys. There are some studies comparing milk-based vs soy-based formulas and early/problematic development of puberty. Also there are other problems with consuming large amounts of soy - here's a couple of links to some pop press articles:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...soy_story.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/infant.html

Aside from that, I think at 9 mths old if you have to wean from BM, shouldn't you switch over to formula of some sort until he is 1? Maybe should talk to the pediatrician about this problem?

It really is too bad that your nursing relationship has deteriorated like it has - it sure sounds like you weren't ready to give up just yet. I second the advice to talk to someone from La Leche League if you can and want to.... GL mama - tricky situation

Last edited by hollydlr; 05-14-2007 at 10:59 AM.
hollydlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The above post is one of the reasons soy isn't a good choice, but also many that are allergic to dairy will also be allergic to soy (my dd is).

I would try every kind of sippy cup under the sun to get him to drink EBM. Maybe even the kind with a straw???
Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about a regular up with a straw if you hold it? We had to switch to rice milk but we worked with a nutritionist on how to fortify it so it had more protein and fat. I wouldn't just switch on my own at this age.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My sisters boy was like that...sorta. He still nurses, but its ALL he does...refused any type of bottle or cup. My sister worked out of the home and left him with me or her MIL....he'd go 7 hrs or so without eating or drinking anything. She finally found a sippy that worked - it was an odd looking one from walmart, it had the silicone spout, but it was like a straw right in the center. I'd try every sippy out there and continue pumping. Hopefully you find something that works

Taking a break to focus on God & family

Last edited by MamaJo; 05-14-2007 at 11:53 AM.
MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithmommy View Post
Hi,

I'm soo soo sorry!!!!!

Are you still pumping?
If you are still pumping, I would pump all I could and put it in a sippy, or regular cup, or straw cup, or whatever he will drink from.

Do you go to la leghe league? Or have you talked to a lactation consultant?
You can look on the la leche league website to find a leader near you. Or call the hospital near where you live, or your local health dept. has breastfeeding counsellors and lactation consultants too. they might be able to help you.

It looks like from your earlier post that you really would like to still be breastfeeding. Will he latch on at all? do you think he's upset because the milk isn't flowing fast enough for him? If that's the case Maybe an sns would save your nursing relationship.

I have the number of a lll leader here near me if you want it, but I know the ones in huntsville are probably closer to you. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.
You know I never considered flow an issue... hummm... I am pumping about 4 times daily in hopes that if and when he decides he wants to Ill still have milk... He wont drink EBM from anything...
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneikM View Post
What about a regular up with a straw if you hold it? We had to switch to rice milk but we worked with a nutritionist on how to fortify it so it had more protein and fat. I wouldn't just switch on my own at this age.

ok I tried this and he actually did it.. I wonder if its because he cant really taste the milk??? He didnt actually suck on it to get any, I had to suck the milk to the top of the straw,pinch the straw with my fingers to keep it at the top, then I put the straw in his mouth and he eventually clamped down on it and started to suck! I got 6 ozs in him over about 30 minutes doin this!!! Gonna see if I can find a sippy cup with a straw... dont know why I didnt think of this one sooner

I will say that it has been pretty nice to be able to go places by myself, but I sure do miss the cuddles and gazes...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydlr View Post
]

Aside from that, I think at 9 mths old if you have to wean from BM, shouldn't you switch over to formula of some sort until he is 1? Maybe should talk to the pediatrician about this problem?

:
I TOTALLY AGREE mama, but he WILL NOT drink ANY formula, we tried lactose free, SOMETIMES hell take a few sips and thats all, we tried Alimentum, NO GO( I wouldnt either, ever smelled that stuff?

we have talked to his pedi w.out any luck and he says that IVe got to find a way to get him on formula if Im not gonna BF or if he wont take EBM... so much easier said that done at this point
Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

I can tell you are totally frustrated over this whole deal - maybe the straw thing will work??? GL!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #20
-Blair-
Registered Users

I have no idea but wanted to give you many, many {{{{HUGS}}}}

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote