Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #21
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Re: Rice/Soy/OR lactaid?

def try a straw sippy, david did tht too as he never took a bottle and he did great with straw sippy. sorry to hear ped is no help for you

Advertisement

SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikecloth View Post
ok I tried this and he actually did it.. I wonder if its because he cant really taste the milk??? He didnt actually suck on it to get any, I had to suck the milk to the top of the straw,pinch the straw with my fingers to keep it at the top, then I put the straw in his mouth and he eventually clamped down on it and started to suck! I got 6 ozs in him over about 30 minutes doin this!!! .
If you can't get him to use a sippy with a straw, you might try doing this same thing with a medicine syringe. It would be the same idea, but probably a little less work for you. My friend's baby loves her straw sippy cup!
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #23
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

ok, tonight we went to STUPID walmart... and they had a parents choice sippy cup, IT WORKS! I had to do the first suck to get it to the top, but I guess b/c its a non spill sippy the valve holds it at the top ready to give him the milk and instant gratification!!! IM SO HAPPY!! I was at a fellow DS mama the other day, and her DS was nursing, and it hit me that I MISSED nursing SOOO much... I didnt think I missed as much as I thought I did until I saw them... this STINKS!
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
meredithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey,

I'm soo glad you found something that is working for your ds. Amd I'm still so sorry for you that he isn't nursing right now Keep on pumping and don't give up.

Have you tried getting him latched on at night when he's really sleep, or already asleep? Does he have a paci? You could get him to sleep, and slip the paci out and your nipple in. Maybe that way you could get him to nurse at naps and bedtime.
meredithmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #25
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikecloth View Post
ok, tonight we went to STUPID walmart... and they had a parents choice sippy cup, IT WORKS! I had to do the first suck to get it to the top, but I guess b/c its a non spill sippy the valve holds it at the top ready to give him the milk and instant gratification!!! IM SO HAPPY!! I was at a fellow DS mama the other day, and her DS was nursing, and it hit me that I MISSED nursing SOOO much... I didnt think I missed as much as I thought I did until I saw them... this STINKS!
sorry
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #26
wyldblueangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Re: Rice/Soy/OR lactaid?

Quote:
Milk is a natural food… isn’t it?

All mammals drink the milk of their mothers until they are weaned. Unlike all other mammals though, humans continue to drink milk after weaning and into adulthood, and not just that, we drink the milk of another species! To state the obvious (but often overlooked fact) cow’s milk has evolved to help turn a small calf into a cow in less than a year. That’s why cow’s milk contains around four times as much calcium as human milk. Calves need a huge amount of calcium to promote the massive level of skeletal growth required over the first year of life. A human infant does not require such high levels of calcium; indeed the high mineral content of cow’s milk puts a strain on the human infant kidney which is why most governments strongly recommend that children do not drink normal ‘off the shelf’ milk in the first year.

What is lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose, the sugar in milk. In order for the sugar in lactose to be digested it must be broken down in the gut by the enzyme lactase into its two component sugars (glucose and galactose). Most infants produce lactase for a while but lose the ability to digest lactose after weaning (commonly after the age of two). Losing this ability is a clear indication that after weaning, milk is not a natural food for us. Lactose intolerance occurs in around 90-100 per cent of Asians, 65-70 per cent of Africans, and 10 per cent of Caucasians. Symptoms include nausea, cramps, bloating, wind, and diarrhoea. If you suffer from lactose intolerance you should avoid all dairy products.

http://www.milkmyths.org.uk/health/index.php#q1
Just passing some information along!!! I think, if you can, stick with BM then maybe rice. I don't think we were meant to consume cow's milk. HTH

Many blessings and !!!

Check out my Ebay Feedback
wyldblueangel is offline   Reply With Quote