Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

newborn questions

So my new baby is 5 days old today and seems to be doing great despite my major engorgement issues which seem to be getting better. My question is she doesn't seem to ever want to stop sucking. Yesterday and today she has eaten so much that she spits up while she is breastfeeding. Sometimes she will eat for 30 minutes at each breast in one feeding. Then sleep for 30 minutes or so then wakes wanting to eat again. I know I making enough milk because I'm leaking like a faucet as soon as I expose myself. I dont want to give a pacifier this early because I dont want to confuse her but I also dont want her making herself sick. Anyone have any advice for me.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: newborn questions

This just sounds normal to me for a 5 day old baby. They just love to suck. Mine is 11 wks and just finally starting to not want to nurse all the time. I don't give mine a pacifier. Since I have had supply issues in the past, I just let mine nurse as much as he wanted knowing that he was doing good things for my long term supply. The only small advice I could give is to block feed. So, feed on the same side for a couple of hours no matter how many times she nurses and then switch her to the other side for a few hours.

Congratulations on your new baby!!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
sara_hope
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am by no means an expert, I just had my first, but my Ds did this. When he was 4 days old Dh and I gave in and gave him a pacifier. He really just likes to suck, ALL THE TIME. He doesn't really so it now though. One thing I'll say though is to burp her. I've heard that when they have a full belly sometimes they don't know whether it's hunger or fullness and will keep eating. Maybe burping would kinda help things settle and give her some time to realize she's full? Good luck!

Last edited by sara_hope; 12-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
sara_hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! That is pretty normal for a newbie to want to stay on night and day. Are you burping her? That would probably help a bit. I think if you need a break and she is nursing to nurse not nursing to eat and you are comfortable with pacifiers you should go ahead and give one. Only our #4 had a paci after a 6day nicu stay she still liked it so we let her. There were no issues with confusion but she only ever wanted the brown NUK ones. One day at 10mo I stopped swaddling her and she spit it out and never wanted it again.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Yes we try to burp when we change sides but she rarely does. I'm glad to hear its "normal" I'm ok with her nursing all the time because it makes my boobs feel like they aren't going to explode lol. We bottle fed breast milk to my dd1 for the first 8 weeks so this is all very new territory.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

It sounds like you and baby are doing great! The first couple weeks are tough and some babies want to suck constantly but it does get better. As PP said, you can give a pacifier if you want or just allow her to take the lead. With that much nursing I hope you are using a good nipple cream too! Congrats mama!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

My guy is 7 weeks and we nurse a lot. I am going back to work in 2 weeks but I've been nursing on demand the whole time. He does use a paci, but he doesn't need it to sleep like my daughter did. I am also still leaking like crazy and I do block feed. But he is starting to sleep through one feeding a few nights a week.

You are doing great mamma!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

She's fine! DS nursed for 45 minutes every hour and a half (except at night, every 3 hours) until he was 12 weeks.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Burping? Feed one side per feeding. Sounds norm. My second was at boob lots. With my first I was engorged to no end. If it lasts it might be diet related. If u or hubby sensitive to stuff ur baby might be too.