Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Users
Food Allergy

My 6 month old started solids about 2 weeks ago. He had been doing great but all of the sudden he has a raw ring around his bum and has undigested food in is dirty diapers. He is fussy and not sleeping well. I can feel bumps on his gums that come and go. Do you think this is most likely a food allergy issue or a teething issue?

Jomama521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Food Allergy

Could be either. If you change the food he eats and it doesn't go away it would be teething most likely. Good luck mama.
ladyamberskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
formerly 4boysMomma
My Mood:
Re: Food Allergy

I don't like undigested food in diapers. I know some experts say its "normal" but to me its a sign of mal-absorption and that concerns me. What are you giving your baby? Sometimes fruits can be acidic and irritating. An irritated GI tract doesn't digest well.

I know a lot of people don't like the baby cereals but they can be easier to digest. I like making my own. I use a high power blender (Vita Mix) and grind whole grains like oats or brown rice. Grind to a fine powder for younger babies, leave more texture for an older baby. Then take 1/2 cup of your cereal, add to 2 cups filtered water and bring to a boil while stirring with a whisk. It thickens quickly. Store the extra in the fridge and reheat as needed. Thin with your choice of liquid after cooking if baby needs a thinner consistency.

Some hypoallergenic choices for early foods are squash, rice, and pears. They are usually our first go-to's since we have pretty sensitive kiddos.
Mom of six boys
DS(18)DS(15) DS(13) DS(5) DS(2) and Baby DS
who are the love of my life and the bane of my existence all wrapped up in one wonderful wacky package.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
I dunno. Ever since I got DD on solids, I have said I've been very surprised at how little seems to get digested. Her diaper once had a huge clump of unpopped orange pulp. You know, the little pulp bubbles of juice you eat when you eat an orange. How did the stomach acids not digest that?? Really?

But she's almost 3 now and healthy.

Teething poop tore her up though. Sad little rashy bottoms.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote