Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
acope3374
Registered Users
seller

Question Elastic Repair Worth the $$?

I have some older Ecobaby Organics fitted diapers with shot elastic. I don't sew but I asked a local mama about repairing them. Her fee is $5/diaper. Would you spend this to replace the elastics or just buy others in better condition? I do like the idea of saving/reviving the dipes (the ecofriendly side of me).

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Elastic Repair Worth the $$?

I agree with you that I enjoy reviving things. My husband and I have decided that (for the most part) if something can be fixed, we fix it.

That being said, it depends on:

1) how much you like the diapers
2)how effective they are
3)what condition they are in outside of the elastic

If you like them, they are effective, and in good condition otherwise, you can't beat a diaper for $5!! (which is how I would look at it - "this diaper will cost me $5...what will I have to pay to replace it? Probably a lot more)
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It helps that she is local so you don't have to pay to ship them back and forth. Like the pp mentioned, I'd consider it only if the diapers are in really good condition otherwise. You might also google "elastic repair Ecobaby Organics fitteds" and see whether it might be easy for you to do-it-yourself. I'm replacing elastic on some of my diapers and have fond that some are easier to do than others.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
acope3374
Registered Users
seller

I am not the original owner of the diapers so I'm not really sure how they're supposed to be new. They seem soft but kind of thin. And they're organic cotton.

It does help that she's a local mama. Shipping back and forth probably wouldn't be worth it.

I have looked up some tutorials for elastic repair but I am just not confident that I won't mess them up.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

$5 per diaper seems really steep to me. The most it will cost per diaper is about .50 in elastic and her time (which is of course what you are paying her for). I could see $1 even $2 but I bet you could find newer used diapers on the FSOT/craigslist for about the same price especially if you bought in a lot. I just don't see how it would be worth it in the end.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by acope3374
I am not the original owner of the diapers so I'm not really sure how they're supposed to be new. They seem soft but kind of thin. And they're organic cotton.

It does help that she's a local mama. Shipping back and forth probably wouldn't be worth it.

I have looked up some tutorials for elastic repair but I am just not confident that I won't mess them up.
If its a complicated repair, the $5. But that would also depend on (for me) whether they rest of the cover was still in pod condition.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know where you can find organic fitteds used for less than $5 a diaper....
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
$5 per diaper seems really steep to me. The most it will cost per diaper is about .50 in elastic and her time (which is of course what you are paying her for). I could see $1 even $2 but I bet you could find newer used diapers on the FSOT/craigslist for about the same price especially if you bought in a lot. I just don't see how it would be worth it in the end.

I checked on diaper repair. The going rate for elastic replacement is between $3-4. You still have to pay shipping both ways which is another $6. So a total of $9 minimum for one diaper. $5 is actually pretty good since she isn't paying for shipping.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
I don't know where you can find organic fitteds used for less than $5 a diaper....
Yeah depending on condition it is more like $10-15 and sometimes more.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can see how some cost more, since it depends on how the elastic is sewn in. If its tacked all the way the sides, then it's a pain in the butt to change out. If it is just tacked at the ends, that makes it easier.