Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

GMD workhorse vs. GMD prefolds

What is the difference? Are the workhorse more/less absorbent or just easier to use?

I'm trying to figure out what I want in our newborn stash. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Workhorses are fitteds made from prefolds. They have doublers built in (except for the newborn size) so they will be more absorbent. And they are easier to use since there is no folding. We like both though; prefolds and fitteds.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: GMD workhorse vs. GMD prefolds

I'd assume the fitteds (the Workhorse diapers) would be somewhat less durable with the elastic and sewn-in doubler, although I don't have personal experience with either. Usually newborn diapers don't need to be super durable, since they're used for such a short length of time, unless you plan to use them for several more babies. Otherwise the fabric is exactly the same. Theroretically, the absorbency would be similar. I think they just take fabric from where the prefold is cut into the fitted shape to make the doublers, but since the doubler goes in the wet zone, they might be more effectively absorbent. I think ease of use is a matter of personal preference. I find using a Snappi on a prefold just as easy as snapping a fitted. I don't do any complicated folding, but I guess it is a skill.

Last edited by BinahYeteirah; 12-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
sunlightmlp
Registered Users

In my experience, the absorbency is about the same. The Workhorses are just a lot easier to use - no folding. Workhorses are my go to diaper.
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
ravenchow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Newborn workhorses do have doublers now. She just added them. I just got my huge Black Friday stash & my oranges all have the doublers.

I owned the brown workhorses at one time. We used them at naps with hemp. I preferred the brown prefolds, trifolded though, to have all that absorbency right in the center for my heavy wetting boy. I ended up selling them. We've been using the prefolds for the past year & a half or so.

My newb stash just came. The workhorses didn't exist for my last LO so this will be the first time I'll use them on a newb. Here was my big order (taking advantage of the holiday sale):

-2 dozen orange prefolds
-1 dozen orange workhorses
-2 dozen yellow pf
-1 dozen yellow wh
-2 dozen red pf
-6 red wh (starting to phase out the wh here, based on past experience)
-1 dozen preemie prefolds (probably for doublers, but wondering if they'll fit as a prefold as well)

I already have 2 dozen Swaddlebee flats on the sidelines for the newb & I just caved on 1 dozen GMD small flats off the swap. I haven't used flats on a newb before.

dh (8/99), ds (12/99), 4 miscarriages, LO (May 2010), & Newb (April 2013)
ravenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenchow
Newborn workhorses do have doublers now. She just added them. I just got my huge Black Friday stash & my oranges all have the doublers.

I owned the brown workhorses at one time. We used them at naps with hemp. I preferred the brown prefolds, trifolded though, to have all that absorbency right in the center for my heavy wetting boy. I ended up selling them. We've been using the prefolds for the past year & a half or so.

My newb stash just came. The workhorses didn't exist for my last LO so this will be the first time I'll use them on a newb. Here was my big order (taking advantage of the holiday sale):

-2 dozen orange prefolds
-1 dozen orange workhorses
-2 dozen yellow pf
-1 dozen yellow wh
-2 dozen red pf
-6 red wh (starting to phase out the wh here, based on past experience)
-1 dozen preemie prefolds (probably for doublers, but wondering if they'll fit as a prefold as well)

I already have 2 dozen Swaddlebee flats on the sidelines for the newb & I just caved on 1 dozen GMD small flats off the swap. I haven't used flats on a newb before.
Wow that's a fantastic stash start off. does GMD have a sale Now or did I miss it?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us the prefolds are more absorbent. The fitteds have less fabric even with the sewn in doubler. The prefolds have also held up better. I have a dozen red edge prefolds and then 7 workhorse(3 red, 4 brown) that we have owned for the same amount of time and the workhorse are falling apart now and the elastic is shot. They are going on pretty consistent use for the last almost 3 years.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

I LOVE my GMD workhorse fitteds! I preferred them over the prefold and the snappi's at the newborn stage! I still have my workhorse fitteds as my go to diapers...I find I want to reach for them always over the pockets or all in ones!! I have had the orange, yellow, red and now Browns!! I LOVE them...even though I have paid a premium to ship them to Canada, lol!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
simplykarenp
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my newborn I find the prefold more absorbent than the old style workhorse. My baby does not like to feel wet and she can go longer in a snappied prefold than a workhorse.
simplykarenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

they're both good (I love them), but prefolds have more fabric so more to absorb the pee.

I didn't buy WH until brown because I had such a super soaker. Still wets a lot, but we happily use them as well as the prefolds.

Last edited by c&w's mama; 12-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote