Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Change of subject, but what is the feeling toward leasing a car vs buying? I know that in the long run buying is better, but what about if you don't plan on needing a car for too long?

Hubby and I plan on trying to move out of the country at some point, hopefully in a couple years. Our current car is a ten year old beater (as in purchased in 2002, not that it beats ten year old kids) and I hate it. It's tiny, breaks down every couple months and I'm sick of throwing money at it. We won't get more than 1500 for it on the open market, and we don't really have money saved for a down payment on another car. I feel like we could be driving a brand new car right now for the same money we dump at the mechanics. And I don't like the idea of having a huge car payment if we plan on turning around and selling the car before it's even paid off. Besides, a lease payment is relatively small if we do move and need to keep paying from abroad vs a full on car payment.

Am I just being silly because I want a new car?

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 12-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Dec 10 - Dec 16

Worked on December crunch budget this week - DH is getting <40 hour work weeks in the next few weeks due to the holidays and such. Everything is tighter than sin but we should be good. We really want to do our best to start out 2013 on DR without any NEW debt from the holiday time.

Working on the menu plan for this coming week, it should be a good week. I scored a 10lb tube of 93% ground beef for $23.00 and there are some good sales. Even better, I'll be getting DH 9 boxes of townhouse crackers for $1.53 total with coupons - he loves them and I can make some homemade lunchables for him to change it up from his usual lunches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mommy78 View Post
Grrrr I JUST got a ticket this morning for talking on my cell while driving. Totally my fault, but GRRR I am SO mad at myself!
I'm in Iowa, we don't have that law. But texting is a big no-no. I'm always worried DH will come home with a texting ticket
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #43
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
I've been able to see my mom. She's doing well. Thank goodness she's so stubborn.
Omg! That's so scary! I'm glad she is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mommy78 View Post
Grrrr I JUST got a ticket this morning for talking on my cell while driving. Totally my fault, but GRRR I am SO mad at myself!
I got a $230 ticket yesterday because I didn't realize my car registration expired. I put a notice in my phone for next year.

I am so far behind on Christmas shopping right now. I'm really starting to get stressed out. I have money set aside but I keep second guessing everything to the point I leave with nothing. I'm running out of time.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #44
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Hey guys, I am going to jump in a bit. Dh has been listening to Dave Ramsey in the car. I've been loosely following Dave Ramsey for a while now. Anyway, I have a question. What do you do when you have a variable income?

I have a set income-my job, but I also have a variable income-my ebay store. My profits in my ebay store have averaged out for the year to about $900 a month. However, I didn't REALLY start until Feb and didn't get super serious until summer. My average for the last 5 months is about $1300 a month profit. However, you just never know with ebay.

All of our bills are covered with my set income, but with very little wiggle room for extras-clothes, field trips, school pictures, eat-in day at school, eating out, gifts, etc all come from my ebay income. However, I would like to start making a dent in my debt. I did really good last year, but haven't paid any debt since summer!

We do not have any credit cards or car payments. All of my debt is old, random debt, such as a $5000 deductible from when I had pneumonia in 2008. It totals about $10,000. This is not including student loans-which are currently in deferrment bc I am a grad student. I am not worried about those yet-just want to knock out this 10,000 debt first.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
Hey guys, I am going to jump in a bit. Dh has been listening to Dave Ramsey in the car. I've been loosely following Dave Ramsey for a while now. Anyway, I have a question. What do you do when you have a variable income?

I have a set income-my job, but I also have a variable income-my ebay store. My profits in my ebay store have averaged out for the year to about $900 a month. However, I didn't REALLY start until Feb and didn't get super serious until summer. My average for the last 5 months is about $1300 a month profit. However, you just never know with ebay.

All of our bills are covered with my set income, but with very little wiggle room for extras-clothes, field trips, school pictures, eat-in day at school, eating out, gifts, etc all come from my ebay income. However, I would like to start making a dent in my debt. I did really good last year, but haven't paid any debt since summer!

We do not have any credit cards or car payments. All of my debt is old, random debt, such as a $5000 deductible from when I had pneumonia in 2008. It totals about $10,000. This is not including student loans-which are currently in deferrment bc I am a grad student. I am not worried about those yet-just want to knock out this 10,000 debt first.
My advice would be to do your basic bill budget off your base income. Then fund envelopes (or virtual envelopes) for the others with your variable income. What is left over is the snowball towards your debts.

Let me use our household as an example. We no longer do a complete zero balance budget (very difficult with a variable income). The base bills are covered by DH income, and my variable income covers the rest. We do not allow any more base bills than what can be covered by DH. We no longer budget $X per month to each envelope/fund.
The extras are covered by sinking funds. For example, we have a clothing fund of $500. If I spend money on clothing, I pay the fund back with the variable funds.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #46
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post

If your steady paycheck really does cover all of your expenses, then I would make a list of all the other stuff you want to be able to do, and put it in order. 1. Clothes $20/month 2. Travel $50/month 3. Debt A $100/month etc. Then at the end of the month (or beginning, or whenever you do your budget or pay bills) I would take all that extra money and start distributing it. Start filling those envelopes or sending that money out in the order of your list. When you get to the end of the money, you stop. If some didn't get done, you decide if they are important enough to put to the top of the list next month, or if they just won't get filled/paid this month.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #47
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

The two mamas above said it perfectly. My DH's paychecks cover our expenses with under $50 left over. However, he gets a lot of overtime (but its variable on when and how much) so we are going to use that to fund our envelopes for clothing, OTC meds, car maintenance & gift funds and then whatever is extra goes to the snowball. If he has a month of little overtime, then we still fund those items but don't have a snowball (or as big of one) for that month.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #48
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can any of you suggest a REALLY awesome blog that has meal planning for the week. I was on emeals for a while but I jumped off of that for a bit...I need to pare down our grocery bill...I spent $200 today for a family of 4 for ONE WEEK...and I know I can do better, I just need help.
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #49
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Great day today! Went and picked up DS's glasses (insurance covered his glasses and exam 100%!!). Packed lunches and due to careful planning this week I was ok on gas (the eye doctor/optometrist is a 2 hour round trip).

Got a few more Christmas presents in the mail today. Just waiting on one more. I feel bad as I am only spending $12 on my brother in law where we spend $20 on the others. But they just had a baby and I had to fit a $10 gift for her in there somewhere so he ate the difference It'll be so nice next year having a Christmas fund and not winging it with overtime money. Also, both my grandparents and DH grandma both do gift exchanges. Next year I'm going to politely decline to do them (which isn't a big deal) so that's $40-50 we won't have to spend.

Just working on grocery budget/list the rest of today. Got a goal of $70 for the next week!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #50
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmartinez View Post
Can any of you suggest a REALLY awesome blog that has meal planning for the week. I was on emeals for a while but I jumped off of that for a bit...I need to pare down our grocery bill...I spent $200 today for a family of 4 for ONE WEEK...and I know I can do better, I just need help.
We are a family of 4 as well. I liked emeals but they were just too expensive - $80 at the lowest for dinners and I still needed lunches and breakfasts and snacks. I tried multiple plans but in the end just made notes of meals we really liked and added them to my thriftier meal plans.

I plan ours around the meat that is on sale and then add 1-2 meatless meals for the week. For example, this week we have 80% ground beef for $1.99 and boneless skinless breasts for $1.68/lb. So a simple (cheap dinner menu) would look like: chicken/veggie/rice stirfy, spaghetti, Sloppy Joes, ground beef stew, walking tacos, homemade pizza, bean tacos...etc. DH lunch wise I either make him homemade lunchables, get 1lb cheaper lunchmeat and bread, or pack him salads, whatever is cheaper/on sale. For breakfast we rotate cereal and peanut butter on toast - simple and overall cheap. Lunches we do leftovers if they are there otherwise Mac n cheese, hot dogs, PBJ or grilled cheese, chicken noodle soup...whatever is cheap! Cheap snacks the kids love are popcorn, pretzels and animal crackers. Our week is budgeted at $105 and I never go over... I'm trying hard to hit $80 consistently but toiletries make it hard

Hope it helps a little

Last edited by frugalmomof2; 12-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.