Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Dec 10 - Dec 16

I try so hard and I plan and make cheaper meals but I think all the extras eat us up...snacks etc. And this week DH added SODA to the list after he'd agreed to drink tea. I need to pull out my grocery list and figure out what the heck is going on.

Advertisement

cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #52
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmartinez View Post
I try so hard and I plan and make cheaper meals but I think all the extras eat us up...snacks etc. And this week DH added SODA to the list after he'd agreed to drink tea. I need to pull out my grocery list and figure out what the heck is going on.
We have soda on our grocery list - DH takes it to work. I have a budget of $10/week for total soda. My DH wants it bad enough he agreed to drink whatever kind I get (as long as it's diet lol) so I go store brand which is cheap or 7up 6pks when they go on sale for 6/$10 once a week. If there's nothing on sale, I can count on store brand to be able to get him a 12pk or 2. I've also bought him 2liters (which are like $.70 for store brand all the time) and refilled the empty 20oz bottles He takes his lunch everyday so we save $30 at least a week on his lunchs - so $10 of soda isn't bad, we're still saving. At home he's a coffee drinker. Which is fine, but he gets store brand. No splenda or creamer either - just my sugar in the baking pantry and the milk in the fridge.

Snacks...we get popcorn kernels $1/bag at walmart...pretzels $1/bag or so, animal cracker $1-$1.25/bag... and if the kids want more than one bowl of the crunchy starchy snack I give them a PBJ which fills them up and they never want anything else... I snack on Ramen cooked or not. DH is a big sunflower seed man - I can buy him a huge bag for $2 and it lasts him all week. Everybody loves nuts here and I know they are healthy but they rarely fit in the budget It's something I wish I could buy more often...
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #53
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
I've been able to see my mom. She's doing well. Thank goodness she's so stubborn.
so glad she is ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I'm kind of freaked out. I decided not to do the outlet mall, because I don't like it much after dark, and it is cold, so I was thinking about going to Lane Bryant and Motherhood at the mall and then taking my kiddos for Chipotle for dinner, but I decided to stay home and go out later by myself after DH gets home. Turns out, the mall got shot up at around 4 this afternoon by a masked gunman. I had a good cry and now I am just thankful that I decided to stay home.

Slimy- Is your family here all safe?
how scary, so glad you stayed in
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
So glad you didn't venture out. I believe my family is all present and accounted for. My family has been preoccupied caring for my grandpa in the hospital. So they haven't been out shopping. He has now quit eating and the dr said he expects him to pass away before Christmas. He is 95 years old and we know it's his time, but it's still hard to deal with.
no matter the time it is still hard, I am so sorry for your family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy1010 View Post
Hi! My name is Brandy and my husband and I are getting in the Dave Ramsey train! SOOO excited!!!

A little background: My husband makes enough to pay all of our bills (he runs a scrap yard for a friend making great money and then does taxidermy on the side with my dad) I stay home Jan-Sept. with my son and watch kids and clean houses. Oct-Dec I own/run a deer proccessing business. I make my yearly income these 3 months.

Ok, that being said, we make plenty of money. We just havent been smart with it. We are current on all bills, always are. But, I hate have 2 car payments, a house note, 2 student loan payment, and paying full coverage in 2 cars (especially mine, I go to town twice a week and it is 2 miles away). And, we have no savings.

So, I bought Dave's book for dh (and me) for Christmas! We have been talking about and DH is ready!

So, we are selling both of our cars for cheapies, gettung rid of satilite, cutting down cell plans, and cutting our food budget way down (soend way to much on food)

Anyways, it feels so good just to tell someone! I listen to Daves 2 hour show everyday!

If everything goes as plan, we will be debt free (including our house) in 15 months!!!!! Eeekkk!!
Welcome!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Change of subject, but what is the feeling toward leasing a car vs buying? I know that in the long run buying is better, but what about if you don't plan on needing a car for too long?

Hubby and I plan on trying to move out of the country at some point, hopefully in a couple years. Our current car is a ten year old beater (as in purchased in 2002, not that it beats ten year old kids) and I hate it. It's tiny, breaks down every couple months and I'm sick of throwing money at it. We won't get more than 1500 for it on the open market, and we don't really have money saved for a down payment on another car. I feel like we could be driving a brand new car right now for the same money we dump at the mechanics. And I don't like the idea of having a huge car payment if we plan on turning around and selling the car before it's even paid off. Besides, a lease payment is relatively small if we do move and need to keep paying from abroad vs a full on car payment.

Am I just being silly because I want a new car?
Leasing is the most expensive way to finance a car. not only do you have to put money down, but you have to give it back. To me it is like renting a car.
Can you take the 1500 you would get for your car and put it with your down payment to get a better used car? Just a thought if you are looking to move soon.

AFM: DH's car is paid off what a great Christmas GIft!!!!!
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #54
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grandpa passed away this morning. My mom is hopeful they can have the memorial after I arrive next week since I already have plane tickets purchased for next Friday.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #55
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My grandpa passed away this morning. My mom is hopeful they can have the memorial after I arrive next week since I already have plane tickets purchased for next Friday.
Hugs!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #56
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
We have soda on our grocery list - DH takes it to work. I have a budget of $10/week for total soda. My DH wants it bad enough he agreed to drink whatever kind I get (as long as it's diet lol) so I go store brand which is cheap or 7up 6pks when they go on sale for 6/$10 once a week. If there's nothing on sale, I can count on store brand to be able to get him a 12pk or 2. I've also bought him 2liters (which are like $.70 for store brand all the time) and refilled the empty 20oz bottles He takes his lunch everyday so we save $30 at least a week on his lunchs - so $10 of soda isn't bad, we're still saving. At home he's a coffee drinker. Which is fine, but he gets store brand. No splenda or creamer either - just my sugar in the baking pantry and the milk in the fridge.

Snacks...we get popcorn kernels $1/bag at walmart...pretzels $1/bag or so, animal cracker $1-$1.25/bag... and if the kids want more than one bowl of the crunchy starchy snack I give them a PBJ which fills them up and they never want anything else... I snack on Ramen cooked or not. DH is a big sunflower seed man - I can buy him a huge bag for $2 and it lasts him all week. Everybody loves nuts here and I know they are healthy but they rarely fit in the budget It's something I wish I could buy more often...
I have popcorn kernels and they love it. I think ive been lazy and leaning towards Convince foods. I never even thought about peanut butter toast for breakfast. How easy!
Much cheaper and MUCH healthier than the poptarts!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #57
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm sorry sweetie <3
Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #58
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
So sorry, prayers for you and your family.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #59
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Im so sorry hun!!! Hope youre able to get back home easily!!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #60
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, the tickets were purchased before grandpa even fell and went into the hospital. We were just going home for Christmas. But we got the non refundable non changeable "cheap" tickets. So if they decide to do it sooner (which I doubt they will but my uncle gets to decide that so we'll see) I won't be able to get there. I really am doing reasonably ok. I"m just worried about my mom and my uncle. I was never super close to my grandpa, but it does affect you either way. And I really do want to be there with my family.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote