Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #61
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Dec 10 - Dec 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
If your steady paycheck really does cover all of your expenses, then I would make a list of all the other stuff you want to be able to do, and put it in order. 1. Clothes $20/month 2. Travel $50/month 3. Debt A $100/month etc. Then at the end of the month (or beginning, or whenever you do your budget or pay bills) I would take all that extra money and start distributing it. Start filling those envelopes or sending that money out in the order of your list. When you get to the end of the money, you stop. If some didn't get done, you decide if they are important enough to put to the top of the list next month, or if they just won't get filled/paid this month.
Ok, this sounds like a good plan. Only question is, some things I may not need EVERY month. Like clothes-you don't need clothes every month. Typically twice a year (beginning of summer and beginning of winter) I go through everyone's clothes and see what is needed. But then sometimes a random clothing item comes up-such as the girls were in a parade and needed white tops and leggings. I didn't know until a few days before they'd need those. So if I hadn't budgeted that in, what would I do? Currently, I have no set anything with my variable income. I just use it as needed. So, doing it once a month and allocating it sounds like a great idea but I am worried about how I actually figure that out.

The things I know off the top of my head are:
eat-in day at school (once a month school gets take out from somewhere-we don't have a cafeteria, so every other day we bring lunches)-this usually runs about $25 for me and the girls

household items-toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face soap, toothpaste, detergent, etc-IDK how much, maybe $100?

eating out-$100/month (and stick to it!)

clothes & shoes-idk, this is too random lol

debt payment-would like this to be at least $200/month, but more is better!

I can't think of what else! I know there's got to be more..

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #62
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With the clothes... if you need an average of $200/year for everyone, you would divide that by 12 and put that much in the envelope every month so that when summer comes around, you don't need to scrounge together $100. Does that make sense?

For instance, I put about $60/m into clothing because DH needs new work clothing and work shoes approximately every 6 months and the kids need clothes every summer and fall. That way when I realize the kids need new Fall/Winter clothing, or rain boots, or whatever, I can just go grab it from the envelope.

Last edited by AmberP; 12-14-2012 at 12:47 AM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #63
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
My grandpa passed away this morning. My mom is hopeful they can have the memorial after I arrive next week since I already have plane tickets purchased for next Friday.
I am so sorry, I hope you can attend the memorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
Ok, this sounds like a good plan. Only question is, some things I may not need EVERY month. Like clothes-you don't need clothes every month. Typically twice a year (beginning of summer and beginning of winter) I go through everyone's clothes and see what is needed. But then sometimes a random clothing item comes up-such as the girls were in a parade and needed white tops and leggings. I didn't know until a few days before they'd need those. So if I hadn't budgeted that in, what would I do? Currently, I have no set anything with my variable income. I just use it as needed. So, doing it once a month and allocating it sounds like a great idea but I am worried about how I actually figure that out.

The things I know off the top of my head are:
eat-in day at school (once a month school gets take out from somewhere-we don't have a cafeteria, so every other day we bring lunches)-this usually runs about $25 for me and the girls

household items-toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face soap, toothpaste, detergent, etc-IDK how much, maybe $100?

eating out-$100/month (and stick to it!)

clothes & shoes-idk, this is too random lol

debt payment-would like this to be at least $200/month, but more is better!

I can't think of what else! I know there's got to be more..
I am the worst and deciding what goes in envelopes, but just keep trying and the more you know about your spending habits the easier it becomes. Just decide and stick with it and see how it goes, adjust your budget each month until you get something that is working. Also we don't add to an envelope every month. if we know we need spring clothes then in march's budget we set aside the money and either lower our SB payment or lower another category.
As far as the "stuff" that comes up, we have a "life happens" envelope we put like 20-30 a month in it and just let it sit. if we don't use it for a few months we either stop adding to it or add it to the SB or another category

Hope this helps
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #64
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the tickets were purchased before grandpa even fell and went into the hospital. We were just going home for Christmas. But we got the non refundable non changeable "cheap" tickets. So if they decide to do it sooner (which I doubt they will but my uncle gets to decide that so we'll see) I won't be able to get there. I really am doing reasonably ok. I"m just worried about my mom and my uncle. I was never super close to my grandpa, but it does affect you either way. And I really do want to be there with my family.
If it ends up being earlier I'd call the airline, there is a possibility they would work with you, especially with it being for a death in the family.
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #65
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a grocery and meal planning suggestion: I am currently reading "americas cheapest family:cut your grocery bill in half" and has tons of help regarding couponing, meal planning, freezing, shopping strategies and more. Their advice is helping me because this was where we spent tons of money. Also I have two cookbooks that I LOVE, one is "the home made pantry " and "the EVERYTHING freezer meals book". Got both cook books from half price books and the cheapest fam one from the library. I think that the home made approach might help some of you all, especially with buying snacks and meal planning. As far as snacks go for us now, we have no junkfood unless its home made, with the exception of tortillas chips. So if I make cookies, that is this weeks dessert, and maybe we eat a little less junk since we have to make it to replace it. It also seems healthier, and I know what is in everything. We don't really buy soda either, I just make iced tea which is way cheaper. Just these two changes alone really helped bring costs down. One of the best tips ice got from all this is to cut your trips to the store down as much as you can. The family in the book goes on one big restocking trip every month, does one big cooking/prep day a month, and one supplemental trip mid month to restock fruits and veggies. I WANT to do this... We have meal planned til January and I shouldn't have to go back to the store until we run out of milk, but those milk trips always make me go back weekly. If I send Dh he doesn't impulse buy though
Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #66
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a grocery and meal planning suggestion: I am currently reading "americas cheapest family:cut your grocery bill in half" and has tons of help regarding couponing, meal planning, freezing, shopping strategies and more. Their advice is helping me because this was where we spent tons of money. Also I have two cookbooks that I LOVE, one is "the home made pantry " and "the EVERYTHING freezer meals book". Got both cook books from half price books and the cheapest fam one from the library. I think that the home made approach might help some of you all, especially with buying snacks and meal planning. As far as snacks go for us now, we have no junkfood unless its home made, with the exception of tortillas chips. So if I make cookies, that is this weeks dessert, and maybe we eat a little less junk since we have to make it to replace it. It also seems healthier, and I know what is in everything. We don't really buy soda either, I just make iced tea which is way cheaper. Just these two changes alone really helped bring costs down. One of the best tips ice got from all this is to cut your trips to the store down as much as you can. The family in the book goes on one big restocking trip every month, does one big cooking/prep day a month, and one supplemental trip mid month to restock fruits and veggies. I WANT to do this... We have meal planned til January and I shouldn't have to go back to the store until we run out of milk, but those milk trips always make me go back weekly. If I send Dh he doesn't impulse buy though
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #67
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Slimy Hugs

I do a once a month large grocery shopping trip and than fill in for the rest of the month as needed. So one week I'll spend over 100 the next 3 about 50, then their is the bulk food store 1x a month stock up $50 and the cheese factory stock up $40.

My FFA fruit came in, but how is it personable when the person you buy it from leaves the sales forms at a public place and I had to turn it in to the school. Than he calls and says he is leaving the fruit at the same public place for me to pick-up? My children had to go around collecting their fundraiser sales and than deliver them with a Thank You note (per their parents). Could that be why they sold over 15% of all the sales for the entire school (of 102 children)?

We fell off the very thrifty band wagon this week and went out to dinner, it wasn't bad though with the tip it was only $10/plate. And it was the first time since October 31st that we've been out to eat. if I add it to the grocery budget we are still under the 100 a week food bill. But I am hosting both sides of the family this year for Christmas so we'll see how well we stay under budget. I have my side doing a potato bar (we have 1 thinking meat and potatoes is a meal, 1 vegetarian and 1 who can't eat red meat) so I figure it hits all of them. Dh's side is bring all food to my house (pizza, vegetables and fruit) all we are supplying is drink and cheese tray(?).

I am getting estimates on the finishing of our basement muding etc. B/c I can throw mud onto the walls but I don't want people to see the seams later so I figure if I do the first couple coats and hire a pro it won't cost as much. I'd love to have it done ASAP dh is like in a couple months is fine. I've been looking at the partially drywall walls for close to 9 years already. And next week 2 Christmas parties with 20 people each are being held here. Last time we hosted we had items broken in the basement b/c we couldn't close areas off.

Financially we are holding ground but not making headway. And i need to transfer our property tax money to the checkbook so it can be paid before the end of the year.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My grandpa passed away this morning. My mom is hopeful they can have the memorial after I arrive next week since I already have plane tickets purchased for next Friday.
I'm so sorry, Slimy
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #69
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmartinez View Post

If it ends up being earlier I'd call the airline, there is a possibility they would work with you, especially with it being for a death in the family.
This....or another possibility is flying on standby. Good luck!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #70
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
With the clothes... if you need an average of $200/year for everyone, you would divide that by 12 and put that much in the envelope every month so that when summer comes around, you don't need to scrounge together $100. Does that make sense?

For instance, I put about $60/m into clothing because DH needs new work clothing and work shoes approximately every 6 months and the kids need clothes every summer and fall. That way when I realize the kids need new Fall/Winter clothing, or rain boots, or whatever, I can just go grab it from the envelope.
Oh ok duh LOL! Yes that makes total sense. I guess I need to figure out how much would be good. trial and error I suppose!