Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need sleep!!!

DD is 17 months old and is a pretty good sleeper....until lately.

She usually sleeps from 8pm-530 or 6am. Even though I'd love for her to sleep a little later, I can handle it. What I can't handle is what we've been experiencing the last couple of nights.

Our normal night time routine is bath, books, and bed. The last couple of nights she cries and cries until I rock her to sleep. I haven't had to do this in months! She usually goes right down.

Last night was particularly awful. She started crying around 11:30. I did the CIO thing with her and went in at 5, 10, 20 min but she just wouldn't stop. The ONLY way I could get her to sleep was to hold her. Even lying next to her wasn't enough. She had to be on my chest and then would go right to sleep.

She's not sick. She's been acting totally fine during the day. It's just at naps and night time. I feel like it's a battle of the wills and she's winning.

HELP! Any ideas? Is this normal for this age? DH and I both WOHM full time and we need sleep!

Advertisement

Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I need sleep!!!

My kids would do this when they were teething or had an ear infection. Perfectly fine during the day and no other signs of sickness.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm, sounds like DS, who is also 17 months. I even was feeling successful night weaning him around Thanksgiving and now it's awful. Don't have any advice, but I keep attributing it to teething. DS has been cutting molars and his gums are bleeding, swollen, and look awful so I hope it will be done when the molars are through at least.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My rule of thumb was always "If I couldn't sleep because of my child, I'm taking her in to get checked out".

My child had major throat issues though. She might act fine during the day, but couldn't sleep at night sometimes. She had surgery that helped, but still if she got sick, it was always her throat.

I think tonight, I would try motrin an hour before bed and see if that helps.

You can rearrange her room a little bit and see if that helps. Sometimes kids have a nightmare, and to them, that scary thing actually happened. So, the bed can be a scary place now...but, if you change it around a little it might make the bad thoughts go away.

Completely change the routine. Maybe it's time for a change...let her fall asleep on the couch then put her in her bed. Relax a little bit yourself. You are expecting to have a problem, so you probably will.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG we have been through this several times in the last 6 mos (DD is almost 2).
-teething, I agree with PP's. try a shot of motrin, half-dose if you are worried, a few mins before bed. I would say if a full dose of motrin does nothing, and there are no other signs of teething... probably not teething.
-Just re-read your post... the "only sleeping on your chest" thing makes me think she's congested or has an ear infection. Sniff her ears. Maybe try propping one end of the crib? We have been putting a flat pillow in DD's crib and it really helps her when she's congested. Get out the humidifier.
-what is she doing when she wakes up? Crying hysterically until she sees you, continuing to cry, acting normal as soon as you're in the room but shrieking once you put her down, etc? Could possibly be separation anxiety setting in early?
-Is there any chance she is hot/cold/otherwise uncomfy? DD shrieks bloody murder if she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't find her lovey blanky. Similarly, she can't get back under the blanket by herself.
-Any other changes in her life? New DCP, new hours, etc?

We generally try to avoid picking DD up/rocking because... well, you know where that leads! We will lay down next to the crib and pat her through the slats (keep a boppy and blanket in the room for you). Quite often I wind up falling asleep on the floor... rather spend two hours sleeping decently on the floor than 45 mins with a shrieking baby.
Hang in there mama! It WILL get better...
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree with potential teething and ear infection. Also, could be working on a developmental milestone. And frankly, around 18 months both my girls had rough sleep for a month or two, then it passed.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's an early start on the 18 month sleep regression.

you can read more here:
https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-s...an-be-hardest/
http://alphamom.com/parenting/toddle...tops-sleeping/
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much for responding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
OMG we have been through this several times in the last 6 mos (DD is almost 2).
-teething, I agree with PP's. try a shot of motrin, half-dose if you are worried, a few mins before bed. I would say if a full dose of motrin does nothing, and there are no other signs of teething... probably not teething.
-Just re-read your post... the "only sleeping on your chest" thing makes me think she's congested or has an ear infection. Sniff her ears. Maybe try propping one end of the crib? We have been putting a flat pillow in DD's crib and it really helps her when she's congested. Get out the humidifier.
-what is she doing when she wakes up? Crying hysterically until she sees you, continuing to cry, acting normal as soon as you're in the room but shrieking once you put her down, etc? Could possibly be separation anxiety setting in early?
-Is there any chance she is hot/cold/otherwise uncomfy? DD shrieks bloody murder if she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't find her lovey blanky. Similarly, she can't get back under the blanket by herself.
-Any other changes in her life? New DCP, new hours, etc?

We generally try to avoid picking DD up/rocking because... well, you know where that leads! We will lay down next to the crib and pat her through the slats (keep a boppy and blanket in the room for you). Quite often I wind up falling asleep on the floor... rather spend two hours sleeping decently on the floor than 45 mins with a shrieking baby.
Hang in there mama! It WILL get better...

She cries hysterically until I go into the room and pick her up. Once I pick her up, she's fine.

Oh don't I know it! I try really hard not to pick her up but last night there was no consoling her by patting her back. I tried lying down with her on the floor and she was not having it.

I've never heard of an 18 month sleep regression. I swear sometimes I feel like I'm just winging this whole mom thing!

I'm going to take her to the dr this afternoon to make sure it's not an ear infection. I really hope whatever it is that it doesn't last very long. I miss my sleep!
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

sleep regressions aren't talked about enough to know about. unless you get the 'Wonder Weeks', apparantly that book talks about them.. but I don't have the book.

My friend with 3 under the age of 2 didn't experience this problem at all with her first kid and then her twins hit one unexpectedly. I think it's common not to know about them.

My daughter hit the 4month one and the 13month one and the 24month one. but she skipped the 9 and 18 month ones.

most people just attribute it to teething, I think. Which, can help cause it. but anyways, I find knowing that it's normal helps me deal with it more effectively. but that's just me
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

One thing we did was take turns on late night wake ups. I think it helped DD2 especially with sleep generally to not just have one way to be comforted
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote