Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

little toys that come in sets...like barbie or lego

Do you try and store each set separately? Or just dump everything into one large container?

Dd just started getting barbies, so im curious how everyone handles the 13462876 little pieces.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
All in one bucket or you'll drive yourself crazy lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: little toys that come in sets...like barbie or lego

One bucket because the kids are going to mix up the sets anyway. It's more fun that way.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

With Barbies and most other things all in one bucket.

With lego it depends on how your kid plays with them....if they like to build the actual THING that the set is for, then you should store them in small containers seperately. (school pencil boxes work great!)

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All together, they have areas where they are allowed to leave something set up for a while if they want though as long as it's not just random pieces laying all over the floor
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Things like barbie type toys just get thrown together. Duplo Legos got tossed in a bucket too but I keep the actual sets separate, in case ds ever decides he wants to try to pug one together

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really would have loved to keep all of the Lego sets together but my son had other plans- they are all in a big plastic bin. I did keep all of the books with the hope that someday we could separate them into sets but I know it will never happen. Before we moved, I had all of the Legos separated by color but haven't had a chance to do it again- it made me feel a little more organized and my son seemed to like it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is a good question. DS just turned 5 and we suddenly have several sets of 'real' Legos. So far, he's been using the directions to build what they're meant for, then we keep them in separate gallon zip lock bags. But he only has 4 or 5 kits, so far. I'm not sure what we'll do as we accumulate more, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 year old likes to keep the instruction books, and he just finds the pieces he needs when he wants to build them again. He's rebuilt several sets that were previously all mixed up with everything else.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We keep them separated. We use plastic pencil boxes for small lego sets, plastic shoeboxes for bigger sets. Duplos sets go in larger tubs. The random box of duplos that came from a garage sale just tumbles in a bucket, though.

For Strawberry shortcake, all the dolls go into one small bin and the little plastic do-dads that come with each set are in sandwich baggies and then in another plastic shoebox. The kids can check out all the dolls at once, but only on set of the accessories. They can also have the bigger pieces, like the cafe or dollhouse to go with it, but as far as the tiny things go, they get one set at a time so that after playing, it all goes back into its own bag.

We also use a checkout system for all of the toys beyond their sleeping toys. They have a big playroom with a table, chair, toy fridge, toy stove, and doll cradle. All of the other toys are in bins and boxes in our closet and they take out one set at a time. You might think that's a bit harsh, but we found that yelling and crying over having to clean up a trashed toy room each night was worse. Cleanup never takes long now! And they can check out ANYTHING they want at any time as long as the previous toy has been put away. Works like a charm.