Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Heating blankets

At what age would you do heating blankets on a kids bed? We are wanting to really turn down the thermostat at night to save some money. My kids are 14, 7 and 5 1/2

Advertisement

doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the idea of them but I'm far too afraid to ever use one. My Dad lost an uncle from a fire that started while he was sleeping under a heating blanket. I'm sure they are made better now, but they still scare me. We just dress warmly for bed.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Heating blankets

I'd say for sure okay for the 14 yo. The two younger ones worry me. Not because of any concern for malfunction of the blanket, but because they may not know that they are overheating or somehow being injured by the heat.

I'd look into a set of flannel sheets and feather duvet/comforter. They keep me nice and toasty.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

I'm pretty risk averse, so I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids (or me!) sleeping with an electric blanket.

I second the flannel sheet, down comforter suggestion. Warm jammies and socks, too.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never, but I'm terrified of electric blankets for anyone. Down comforters and wool blankets cause me a lot less anxiety.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would give ds2 who is 7 one if he wanted one. we bought ds1 one a couple years ago. the new electric blankets dont get that warm and they auto shut off. a few years back i went on ebay to buy my x one that was vintage since they get good and hot lol

bought ds1 a new one yesterday since his old one stopped working and they are on sale at biglots
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Try down filled comfort? Even I was comfortable with great down a long as I didn't have to get up to pee in night.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son and I both have heated mattress pads. This is his first year using it and he knows how to turn it off when he gets too warm. It goes from low to 10. He was told not to put it up past 5 and so far he has listened. If they do put it up to high they do get very hot and remembering to turn them off in the morning is important too.