Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Bouncy seat vs swing?

Which did you find most useful?? Any particular brand? We are expecting our first in the next couple weeks, and have yet to pull the trigger on a swing or some other type of seat. We really only have room for one or the other, any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Both my children liked the swing. Neither liked the bouncy seat. But after that, none of their baby furniture preferences are the same.

Babies are seriously so different. Do you know any friends who could let you try theirs once your baby comes before you buy?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bouncy seat vs swing?

Bouncy seat all the way. It's more portable and takes up less room. Great for lots of times. For example, I could put the bouncy seat in the bathroom when I took a shower. I wasn't able to fit the swing in there!

We used our swing three or four times TOTAL with all three kids.

Closing up the baby shop and enjoying my blessings.
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our first hated the swing. We got rid of it. I'd say get neither. With one child, you can just leave them on a blanket on the floor. Once they start moving, they probably won't like to be in a bouncy chair anyway!

But, like PP said, a bouncy chair is a nice way to keep them contained when you're in a place where a blanket won't work. We really liked our bouncy chair with #2, because otherwise she'd get bulldozed all the time by her older brother.
Marbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used a snuza halo motion monitor (google it if your a paranoid mama like I am -so much peace of mind) and wasn't able to use it in the swing because it would detect movement from the swing so we used the bouncy seat a lot. And like someone else said the bouncy seat is more portable.

I do have to say though that my friend has a swing/bouncy seat combo thing and it is cool. You just put the bouncy seat on the swing frame so you get both a swing and a bouncy seat in one chair.
Sarah-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
I used a snuza halo motion monitor (google it if your a paranoid mama like I am -so much peace of mind) and wasn't able to use it in the swing because it would detect movement from the swing so we used the bouncy seat a lot. And like someone else said the bouncy seat is more portable. I do have to say though that my friend has a swing/bouncy seat combo thing and it is cool. You just put the bouncy seat on the swing frame so you get both a swing and a bouncy seat in one chair.
We are planning on using a Snuza as well! I hadn't thought about the swing having an effect, thanks for the tip!

I'm definitely looking into the combo option, but good grief are they pricey! $150 is the most reasonably priced one I can find, and the reviews are mediocre.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kids both preferred the swing!! My daughter also has a Moses basket where she could kick around and she loved that And now it's her doll bed! The bouncy seat we had sat too upright so that may have been the problem. For space saving there is a travel swing that's much smaller and folds up easily. Congrats on your baby!!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Six of mine preferred the swing. One hated the swing and would only sit in the bouncy seat or my arms. But when you have four other kids you can't hold the baby all the time!! He is also my kid who is the most sensory sensitive, gets car sick, and things like that.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why not get a combo bouncer/rocker like the Nuna Leaf or the mamaRoo by 4moms. They both seem way superior to a typical bouncy seat or swing and save space.

If you have dogs or other children running through your house I would urge you to avoid light weight bouncy seats because they are easy to accidentally flip when tripped on or ran into. One of our twins was flipped over in hers when one of our dogs ran through the room and caught her paw on the frame.

Last edited by raymark; 03-31-2014 at 10:43 AM.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would say, don't buy anything unless you can get it used for a very low price, or you can borrow and see if it would be worth the money.

None of my kids cared for a bouncy seat. One was okay with the swing, but would've been perfectly happy to have never sat in it, one really liked the swing until about 4 months, and the youngest only liked the swing at church. The only reason we even had a swing for her was because it was a gift.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote