Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Another newborn stash inquiry + NB pockets?

I used to see these all the time while I was trying to get pregnant. Now that I am and planning to sew up my own fitteds, I can't remember what the posts suggested! So I am asking like a newb, how many changes/dipes would be good for a newborn? I honestly don't remember with DD and she was in sposies at the time so I didn't really keep track. I like simply snappiing PFs on her coverless around the house now (shes 2), and pockets usually to go out in.

I'm planning on getting 2doz orange PFs (already have yellows and reds, GMD fan here!) Probably a few NB pockets (suggestions welcome!) And then sewing a whole stash of fitteds. I was thinking a dozen, but now I'm thinking I should make more. I seem to recall a general number around 10-12 changes a day? The fitteds I want to make should get me through a couple of months at least if I don't have a big ol chunker, so I'm thinking upping it to 18 or even 2doz.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

BWing, BFing , CDing, and finally preggo with Miles, baby #2!! [/SIZE]

Last edited by cassmama; 12-19-2012 at 11:55 PM.
cassmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

P.S. if it matters, I only wash every 3-4 days now, and I anticipate less dipes when we start PTing in a couple months. I like to wash less often so I get full loads and less work.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

My baby was ebf. I changed her diaper 12-20 times a day. She sharted very often. Most poops were about the size of a quarter. I had 2 dozen nb gmd prefolds. I was washing diapers every day. You would need more If you will be washing less often. If I were to do it again I would get 3 or maybe 4 dozen newborn diapers.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another newborn stash inquiry

Generally 12 a day is suggested. With 3 to 4 covers per prefold/fitted. So somewhere between 24-36 is recommended if you want to wash every other day or every third. Usually longer than that is not suggested, good chance you'd be doing 2 loads of diapers

http://www.zany-zebra.com/how-many-cloth-diapers.shtml
http://www.zoolikins.com/cloth-diapering-a-newborn.html
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-19-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, I think I'll make like 2doz fitteds to shoot for 48 dipes total. I like to be prepared, I just know they'll wind up sitting in the dryer for 2 days Maybe I'll make a few of those the next size up or OS. Can't wait to get sewing! Now I just need to know what we are having!

Any suggestions for great fitting newborn pockets? I remember finding happy heinys mini OS but I really prefer snaps. Any other ones like that? I like that they span a nice weight range, if only they made snaps. Might get some anyway

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
willowmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think 48 is a happy number for every few days. My DD would go through 15- 20 a day often as a newborn, she just hated being wet. Happy sewing!!
willowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My whole stash was XS Fuzzibuns and I couldn't have been happier with them. They seriously rock for newbies!

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Oh I forgot about fuzzibunz! I never tried them with DD. I just looked up sizing on the sized pockets, do they seem to run big or small? THEY say 7-18lbs for size S, I'm thinking this would be a good size for us since LO won't be in daycare or anything right away. I can do just fitteds/PFs and covers until they fit if he/she is tiny (DD was 8lbs) and til the cord falls off.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

XS are what we used, there is no way S would have fit a newbie. My LO is 11lbs and is in smalls right now, she finally grew into them a couple weeks ago. I can post comparison pics for you tomorrow, my computer is getting ready to die now! lol

Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and Emma was 7lbs 14oz at birth, so average!