Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
onion
Registered Users
seller

Snaps vs. Aplix vs. Hook and loop

FTM here, due in Feb. Does anyone have feedback on the various pros and cons of these different fasteners?

Advertisement

onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Tabatha
Registered Users
seller

Re: Snaps vs. Aplix vs. Hook and loop

Aplix and velcro are different brands of hook and loop closures. I'm not sure of the difference though. Snap diapers look soo much nicer after the same amount of wear. I love snaps on most of my diapers, but on my covers I like hook and loop. You won't find a definite answer here, everyone has different preferences. I can't see a pro to hook and loop, other than that some people just like them more. A pro to snaps is that the whole diaper stays nicer, and it can go in the dryer as long as the diaper normally can. Hook and loop diapers pill because it comes undone and grabs things in the wash, and the hook and loop closures get fuzzy, caught with hair and lint and curl up
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
thoughtfulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I believe touchtape is stronger but rougher on tender skin, and aplix is softer but also weaker. Snaps are awesome but you loose a touch of versatility because you can only snap to another snap. KWIM?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hook and loop easy like disposable but easy for Little ones to info and have to be redone or fixed evey so often. Snaps I like because you don't have to fix & harder for babies to9 undo later on. I have pockets that legs adjust & waist so the adjustability is high still just maybe not to the milimeter like hook & loop but the others that don't I can see being less adjustability.
Both hook & loop & snaps are pretty fast after u get used to them.....I don't have lots of ti
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son was small, I swore by aplix. Really quick and easy on/off. Once he reached toddler age I went to snaps. He could pull off the aplix and snaps were easy as pie to me by that time since I was no longer doing zombie middle of the night changes. Also snapped diapers stay "neater" looking. So I say both. Aplix is much easier in the beginning, especially at night and especially when you want someone else (DH/family) to help with diaper changes :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
raagen
Registered Users
seller

I had a really tough time getting a food fit with snaps with DD because she was so skinny. Plus she went through a super wiggly phase where we only used aplix pockets because I only had a few seconds to get the diaper on her. Bonus is that anyone can put the diaper on without issue.

The great thing about snaps is that they hold up way better. There is nothing wrong with my covers from DS1 (3.5) except the aplix. I think that had I opted for snaps, the same covers and diapers would have been used on all 3 kids. Since DS2 (3 months) is such a big boy, I'll probably only buy snaps for him from here on out.
HTH

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
ez_green_cutie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevaL View Post
Also snapped diapers stay "neater" looking.
Do you mean 'neat' as in less trapped lint, or neat as in flat? I generally agree, but I have some snap BG Freetimes and Elementals that do not lay flat at all! It's like 2 backwards ears or half-moons protruding in the front where the rounded snap panels are. In contrast, my BG aplix Freetimes lay completely flat.
ez_green_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I mean cleaner looking. Aplix tends to get fuzzy and the PUL adjacent gets worn looking.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like aplix for the fit, snaps for durability.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is unable to snap a snap diaper correctly LOL!!! "Honey there are three snaps for a reason you need to use all three, not just one"

I prefer the ease of aplix but they do wear faster and leave pilling, wear marks on your diapers.