Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
maramarrie
Registered Users
seller

Is there a "learning curve" for newer Britax generation?

I bought the Britax Boulevard 70 G3 and have tested fastening in my RF 2 year old a few times (as well as my RF almost-4-year old).

I find the HUGS pieces to be VERY annoying. I'm not sure how their being attached to the seat makes sure they are in the right position. They ride up as I push up the chest clip and the hard plastic/rubber (harder than the HUGS on our Marathon Classic) digs into the child's chest. Pulling them back down creates friction with the kids clothes, messing everything up. Plus, the attached straps have given me a learning curve I'm not quite over - first, loosening from the chest clip and second, the HUGS straps get twisted with the harness straps when I'm straightening the harness to put it on (buckle). I'm also struggling with how difficult the harness is to tighten. I think with the shoulder pads, HUGS pads, and tight smooth pull, it's not gliding nearly as smoothly as I hoped. There's too much stuff in the way to get a snug fit. I found the easiest thing to do is pull as tight as I can from the back of the seat/harness, then pull the slack from the adjuster strap...then pull as hard as possible on the adjuster strap to take out the extra 1/4" of slack. By then, my 2 year old was crying from the torture of the HUGS pads being too high, then tugged back down, then pressed into her chest.

-Am I trying to get this new harness too tight?
-Does the thicker HUGS pad mean I don't need the strap to be as snug at the shoulder?
-Is that "smooth pull" harness supposed to feel so tight/slow when I pull it?
-Does the new generation of Britax models have a bit of a learning curve?
-Will I get over these adjustments and love the seat? Right now I'm concerned I'll hate it.
-Are the HUGS with Safe Cell worth it, or would I be happier with HUGS on a Marathon 70 G3?

In the past I've had a Roundabout Classic (short seat shell), Marathon Classic, and Roundabout 50 Classic. I loved the harness adjustment of both Roundabouts and have hated the adjustment on the Marathon (strap gets stuck on the side of the ratcheting piece, loosens the harness, not secure, and I've torn a hole in the leather car seats trying to use them for leverage to tighten the harness....HATE the Marathon harness adjustment - maybe it's because of the HUGS pads creating friction and slowing down the pull).

(PS: I also asked this on Car-seat.org, so if you are in both places there's no need to respond twice).

Advertisement

maramarrie is offline   Reply With Quote