Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fifths disease

Definitely let the school know, and keep her and your other kids home from extra activities. It's pretty contagious, and most likely if one has it the others are soon to follow. (coming from a pregnant person who has no immunity and is somehow exposed during every pregnancy!)

The cheeks and flu like symptoms come first, then by the time she has the lacy rash she isn't contagious anymore, but the rash could last for a little bit.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
Definitely let the school know, and keep her and your other kids home from extra activities. It's pretty contagious, and most likely if one has it the others are soon to follow. (coming from a pregnant person who has no immunity and is somehow exposed during every pregnancy!)

The cheeks and flu like symptoms come first, then by the time she has the lacy rash she isn't contagious anymore, but the rash could last for a little bit.
oh no! The girls have a play this weekend
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Call your dr, find out what the incubation period is. I would imagine you see some symptoms in them by this weekend if they are going to get it, but I can't remember exactly how long it is.

I know when I was teaching kids regularly missed 3-4 days of school for fifths.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Once a fifths rash appears the person is no longer contagious. It looks like fifths and with the symptoms prior I would bet that is what it is. The lacy body rash is not common in kids over 10 so she may be spared that. Joint pain is common though once the rash appears in kids her age.
Incubation is like 16 days, but can be 4-28.

I would give Motrin/tylenol and keep an eye.

Last edited by ktmelody; 12-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Once a fifths rash appears the person is no longer contagious. It looks like fifths and with the symptoms prior I would bet that is what it is. The lacy body rash is not common in kids over 10 so she may be spared that. Joint pain is common though once the rash appears in kids her age.
Incubation is like 16 days, but can be 4-28.

I would give Motrin/tylenol and keep an eye.
ok thanks. So since she has the rash on her face she is no longer contagious? I noticed she had had the sniffles for a few days but had thought nothing of it. Poor kid. Now I'm worried that Mariah will get it. Yikes

can adults get it too? I have no idea if I had it as a kid. If you get it once you don't get it again right?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard conflicting things on the face rash meaning they are no longer contagious, the body rash definitely means that. But I've seen a few kids who got the face rash very early on in their symptoms when they were still feeling quit sick. If she is feeling fine, she is probably fine.

Adults can get it, I've heard it's pretty awful as an adult. *Most* adults have had it at some point during the life, since it's a pretty common childhood illness, you only get it once, and then you are immune to it. My Dr's are still shocked every time they get my blood work back and see that I have somehow avoided it so far!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
I've heard conflicting things on the face rash meaning they are no longer contagious, the body rash definitely means that. But I've seen a few kids who got the face rash very early on in their symptoms when they were still feeling quit sick. If she is feeling fine, she is probably fine.

Adults can get it, I've heard it's pretty awful as an adult. *Most* adults have had it at some point during the life, since it's a pretty common childhood illness, you only get it once, and then you are immune to it. My Dr's are still shocked every time they get my blood work back and see that I have somehow avoided it so far!
My daughter woke up fever free and feeling better. She still has a cough though. A pp pointed out that a body rash is rare in kids over ten so she may not get it. She still has the face rash but nothing any where else.

Hopefully noone else gets it! But I'm not counting on that.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I have never even heard of this, so I googled it to see what it was and the following webmd site: http://children.webmd.com/tc/fifth-d...topic-overview

says that generally once the rash appears, it's no longer contagious

"As a rule, people can spread fifth disease only while they have flu-like symptoms and before they get a rash. Usually, by the time the rash appears, you can no longer spread the disease to anyone else. Some people, such as those who have weak immune systems or blood disorders, may be able to spread the disease for a longer time."
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about a lingering cough, if she is feeling fine, she probably isn't contagious anymore. I would just watch the other kids like hawks for any symptoms, and I'd still alert the school that there is a possibility.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was only 6 weeks pregnant and hadn't told anyone yet that I was the first time I was exposed, I was really grateful that it was reported and that they alerted the staff just in case.