Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Thanks, I'm kind of thinking so too. It's weird though, because he is extremely smart - I think advanced for his age as far as colors, shapes, counting, ect. and I KNOW he knows he is not supposed to pee on the floor. He throws insane tantrums and is very difficult, though. He also has some speech delays and taste sensory problems but that part is unrelated...I try not to push him too hard to do something he doesn't want to do, but he seems to WANT to go on the potty some days, and completely refuses another. I'm just unsure of what to do next
Not all kids are smart at everything If there are sensory issues there could be days where he's so overloaded that he just can't deal with the potty, depending on what's going on. And it may be things you or I wouldn't even notice because we tune them out.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Lots of accidents in a 3 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
I agree that it sounds like a power struggle, and right now he is winning. Having one of my own children on the spectrum who struggles with sensory issues, I understand your concerns, but if I were you I would pick one thing and stick with it. Either continue to PL him and do away with trainers and diapers and just deal with cleaning up, or stick him in diapers (complete with pants he can not take off- most 3 year olds can not do buttons) and keep him in diapers until he is ready to fully PL.
I agree with this. My youngest daughter isn't on the spectrum yet, but has an appointment coming up and will be soon. Going back and forth is hard. If you are worried about your son, get the testing done first if you need to, then come back to potty training later. If you think he can do it, go ahead, but keep at it instead of switching back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Not all kids are smart at everything If there are sensory issues there could be days where he's so overloaded that he just can't deal with the potty, depending on what's going on. And it may be things you or I wouldn't even notice because we tune them out.
I also agree with this. My daughter has been potty trained for maybe 3 or 4 months now. She was the latest one of my kids to potty train (right at 3). So while she should do fine...every two or three weeks something will set her off sensory wise, and she wets her pants all day. It's so frustrating. I do make her help clean up, and she knows better, but that's just something I have to deal with right now. She'll get there eventually, and so will your son. Hang in there!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone You guys are always so helpful!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
That makes sense. He can't undo buttons, but he can pull down bottoms, even jeans that are snug. It takes him awhile, but if he's persistent enough he can take them off. I guess I'll just continue to encourage him to use the potty..

Has anyone done sticker charts or candy with success?
I'm sorry this is so frustrating.

Our sitter decided DD needed to PT just before 2.5 (she's pg, has an 18 month old, & watches a 7 month old). DD was never a stripper/pee on the floor kid, so we just stopped giving her diapers. She hated being wet, so she was kind of forced to use the potty.

In any case, there were a few accidents, but we did have good luck w/ both sticker chart & candy. DD got to choose jellybeans or marshmallows as rewards...she got 1 for peeing, 4 for pooping on the potty. She also got a sticker to put on her chart (1 for pees, 2 for poops). She got rewards for 10, then 25, then 50 stickers. The 10 reward was a cheap watch from WM, I can't remember the 25, & 50 was a DVD. We haven't had to do any more for potty, but she's had some regression since starting at a DC center, so we've been doing some rewards at the end of the week if there are no accidents. In general, she's only had a few full-on accidents since starting PTing, but she does have some leakage in her pants sometimes b/c she doesn't get there quick enough.