Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Who's breastfed twins? Come in and talk with me!

We just found out we're expecting twins at the end of June. I was totally in shock, and didn't expect it at all.

I'm just afraid I'm not going to be able to breastfeed them both. With DS, he never had ANY idea what the boob was for. We tried a lot, and I just could NOT get him to latch. He ended up being allergic to milk and soy so he was on Alimentum. With DD, she wasn't gaining and had jaundice so I had to supplement with formula, which of course is a slippery slope. For a few days I totally gave up on breastfeeding, but with the help of an SNS, Dom, and alot of pumping, I was finally able to get her EBF, and she nursed until she was 18m. However, I drove myself into PPD worrying so much about it.

My milk took 5 days with both the other kids to come in, so that's a big part of the problem, I know.

I don't know what I'm looking for...I guess to hear that you did it and how hard it was for you. Did you nurse them at the same time, one after the other, etc?

TIA for your help mamas

Advertisement

ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who's breastfed twins? Come in and talk with me!

I've done it twice. I have 2 sets of twins. I nursed both sets till they were 16 months. And, one of the two year olds is getting into trouble now! I'll be back to give you some tips and encouragement. Until then, I'll just say, you CAN do it.

Congratulations!!! Twins are awesome!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember that they WILL lose weight in the first 5-7 days. Also, their stomachs are really small, so they won't be getting much milk. Try not to stress in the first week about weight loss/gain. Try to relax, nurse a bunch, and eat and drink. You can feed your babies without supplementation.
My mom breastfed my sister and I in 1982. We were born at 31 weeks, but we still made it out with not formula, and she exclusively breastfed us with no bottles until 6 months when she started solids, and nursed for a year (she was told that it wasn't necessary after a year..).
She said that the best thing she did was go to a LLL meeting before we were born. She only made it to one because we were born so early, but she felt that it was the most helpful bunch of information. She pumped in the hospital, but wasn't impressed with the advice that she got in the hospital.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and all of these Heather's are ironic; my twin's name is Heather also!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Best wishes to you! I have IGT, so I knew there was little likelihood of being able to bf my twins exclusively when I couldn't even produce enough for one baby. That being said, I still tried and after a premature birth and traumatic NICU experience, I ended up with one baby who was a nursing champ and one who wouldn't stay latched on for anything. I nursed as much as I could (which is hard to juggle when the other baby always needs bottle feeding) and pumped when I couldn't. A hands-free pump was a neccessity for me! Anyway, in the end I know that I did as much as I could and I look back on my bfing relationship with my DS as a success despite our difficulties. My best advice is that if you don't produce enough for twins, it doesn't have to be all or nothing!

FWIW, I know of two friends in my Mothers of Multiples Club who recently breastfed their twins successfully, too.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I BFed twins for 5 months - all I did was BF & pump around the clock. They were supplemented with formula due to production usually not meeting demand & I pumped to try to increase production. It was exhausting!

We are trying for twins again & the next time around I plan to BF & not stress about supplementing if that is what is needed. For me, spending what was honestly 3 additional hours a day pumping & cleaning equipment exhausted me & led me switch to 100% formula before 6 months. In the future I may even BF one while DH formula feeds the other every morning & evening.

The first time around I always BFed them both on a twin EZ-2 nurse pillow, finished them off with formula, pumped 15 min each side, stored my milk & cleaned everything, then repeated. It is amazing how long it can take to actually pump for just 15 min when you are alone with 2 babies LOL!

I felt a tremendous amount of pressure from others who bragged about how it was so easy & if they could do it then anyone could. This led me to feel tremendous disappointment & frustration and unlike others I never even had latch issues, cloged ducts, or mastitis to deal with.

It may be easy for you & it may not be. You may have to make a value determination about if EBFing (or working towards EBFing) is completely worth the additional lack of quality time you may have for your other children. I fully recommend doing a lot of research - becomming educated about common nursing problems can alleviate a lot of stress & help you feel more in control.

The most important part is to never forget to live so fully in the moments that great memories will remain solidly etched within you. There will be periods with twins that are so hectic that you're merely surviving & weeks can pass with no memory of it. That is normal.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't have but know mamas with that try the one @ a time & they feel like that's all they do. I would sugest either try feeding both at the same time or if u try sling nursing as a friend suggested you could do.... hope you get it this time to go smoothly. I thought hard with one as my oldest lost the nursing battle to get my milk to stay up for her.....
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I also wanted to say that my mom did have us on a schedule nursing. I wouldn't schedule one baby, but I think that if I had twins, I'd have to. It's one reason why I really don't want twins! I mean, I loved being a twin...but I feel like it would cramp my parenting style somewhat.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really need to come back and give my experience. As I said above, I nursed 2 sets of twins with very little supplementation and none after NICU time and early preemie issues. I did both for 16 months. Yes, definitely nurse them both at the same time, but it's doable either way. With my first set, I nursed them mostly at the same time or I never would have been able to do it. With the second set, I did them separately a lot. I also did pump a lot, with both sets. It is a big commitment. But, you absolutely can do it if you want to. It doesn't mean you are a failure if you choose to stop or cannot to commit to the amount of nursing/pumping that is required. But, you truly can do it. I am around a lot of twin moms on message boards and lots of them are successful. If I don't get back, please feel free to PM me if you want to hear my tips and experiences.

Right now, I'll say, get a twin nursing pillow and learn right from the start to nurse them at the same time....without someone handing the babies to you. It's hard, especially early on. But, it's SO worth figuring it out. I can give you a step by step how to of how I did it if you want. (You can save it till the babies are born and reread it then. ) The best twin nursing pillow is called an EZ 2 Nurse Twin nursing pillow, not the inflatable one. Google it. You can do it without, but it's much harder.

Gotta run. You really can PM me if you want.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 6 month old twins who are partially breastfed. They had problems at birth, and spent 3 weeks in the NICU, and had major feeding issues (one still has choking problems, even with preemie flow nipples).
I EP'd for 3 months before they could both latch. We began supplementing with formula at 6 weeks, and it was very stressful, as I felt like a failure. However, 6 months later I have one son who is almost exclusively BFing, and the other is on about 70% Alimentum formula due to unresolved food sensitivities in my diet. That, and the kid won't latch if he's even the slightest bit upset. And he bites. Like, every time. Ugh. lol.

I tried tandem nursing... oh, did I try. So many times. It just doesn't work out for us, sadly. Nursing them separately, although time consuming, is actually very nice. Sometimes it's the only 1-on-1 attention they get all day from me. For the first 4 months, my entire existence was feeding my babies. Even now, it consumes most of my days.

In 27 years, it's the single hardest thing I've ever done. However, it CAN be done. Determine now that it's something you want to do, but free yourself by preparing for potential compromises. Some of the lactamaniacs in my life gave me a bit of passive-aggressive grief when I started supplementing with formula and often CHOSE to pump instead of struggling to nurse, but at the end of the day... they can stuff it. I'm nursing twins, if only partially. I do what works, and I'm busting my chops. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I think ANY mother of who nurses multiples for ANY length of time deserves a trophy.

You can do it!!!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote