Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can I Please Scream Now.....Need Help Figuring This Out

We are struggling right now (badly) and I was already stressing about how to pay for Christmas and DH called this morning on his way taking DS #3 to the bus stop to let me know he hit a deer with our Suburban

We really don't need this right now. We have one paycheck between now and Christmas and I was already trying to figure out how to make it stretch to cover bills and gifts.

And as I'm typing this DH just sent me an email that DS #2 has to be registered with the NCAA by next week....

So please give me your cheap gift ideas, normally I"m pretty good at coming up with stuff but my brain is to stressed.......here is who I need to buy for still, some are partially done:

I will have about $75-$150 to finish everyone up.......

DH: doing stockings only, I have whoppers candy and underwear

DS 1: college student-have gift card to scheels and BWW

DS 2: HS Senior--have shoes and car charger for him so far

DS 3: 8th Grader--have some clothes for him so far and a new school bag

DD 4: 6th Grader-I have 1 book I got in a trade????

DS 5: 3rd Grader-have new shoes and a hoodie

DS 6: getting some used legos and nintendo DS from a friend, have a table I"m trying to figure out how to convert to a lego table

DS 7: have a few used playsets I picked up on FSOT thread

In-laws:
Maybe a basket with homemade bread and jelly??
(the next 4 have asked for gift cards....at $50 each....I told DH that we can't afford to be in this name drawing, I need to see if we can bow out)
SIL:
SIL:
Niece:
BIL:

Nieces and Nephews:
I have fabric and had planned on making pillow cases or crayon rolls so I'll probably stick with that?? But I better get busy......I've been slacking.

My mom and SD/brothers and sister:
They won't expect anything knowing that money is tight. Several of them are in the same boat this Christmas.

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can I Please Scream Now.....Need Help Figuring This Out

Ooooh, I just posted a ton of ideas over in the thread titled My cheap homemade christmas. We must not live too far apart if you bought a Scheels GC.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama, I will go check them out. We are in Iowa.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

DO not buy for ANY adult that is not your child.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
LionMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh I'm so sorry about the car!!!

Id have DH call the in-laws and tell them what happened with the car and ask if you can be pulled out of the gift exchange. They might sympathize as its a sudden unexpected expense.

Crayon rolls are great! I have those for my nieces and nephews and picked up coloring books for each one at dollar tree.

Agree with above to check out the thread for cheap homemade gift ideas. (((Hugs))) sorry your in this tight spot!

(Edited for typos)

Last edited by LionMama; 12-11-2012 at 09:07 AM.
LionMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my teen BIL & SIL I made MP3 pillow cases this year. Basically just a regular pillow case with a pocket in the corner to hold an MP3 player while a person lays and listens. My husband thought they were really neat and wants one too since he always falls asleep with his on an it gets lost in the bed. Any way, it is an idea that would work for most junior high through college age kids that you know with a phone or MP3 player. You could dress it up with a music gift card or some snacks or candy...or just give them as is.
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We only buy for our kids, knowone else. It's so liberating, holidays are for kids IMHO. I also pick up something for my niece and nephew. Now my sister and I made some guidelines, one gift only, less then 20$ and used is ok! I'm re gifting some things my kids no longer use, small kids won't mind. Not sure how young your nieces/nephews are but the crayon rolls a great idea.

The adults should understand, just tell them things are tight. If they don't I'd wonder about them. Tell them to return your gifts!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with only buying for kids, adults should be understanding. Also, fill your DH's stocking with homemade coupons for things like a massage, a picnic when the weather nice or whatever else he would enjoy.

How old are your youngest 2 boys?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405 View Post
I agree with only buying for kids, adults should be understanding. Also, fill your DH's stocking with homemade coupons for things like a massage, a picnic when the weather nice or whatever else he would enjoy.

How old are your youngest 2 boys?
2 and 5, I forgot that I have capes/masks coming and car rolls that I swapped for so that makes me feel a little better.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Something I love to do is cruise through thrift shops/goodwills for giftable items. If I see something my girls would really love but it needs some TLC, I will fix it up and order whatever parts it needs...it usually winds up way cheaper. Scarves and hats are easy to find (at least around here)...purses, cars/trucks, etc. Good luck!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote