Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Seeing Red, help me collect my thoughts

Hello all, I'm having a hard time thinking clearly, and before I call the director of DS's daycare, I need to collect my thoughts. I was hoping you ladies could help me organize the points that need to be made and the most effective manner in which to get them across.

Here is the situation. Yesterday both of my son's main teachers were out. This is not a normal occurrence, but one them is on leave due to a terminally ill husband. She is supposed to be back full time in the new year. The other just had a normal scheduled personal day. So, two subs all day.

When I came to pick up my son, the sub got this worried look on his face and squeezed his diaper, like if you were checking to see if a disposable was wet or not. She then looked satisfied and let him go. I didn't think much of it except to roll my eyes in my mind about how that doesn't work on cloth. BUT when I picked him up he was obviously poopy. So, I changed him. She was all like, "Oh, you are doing the 5 o'clock change?". I was like, "Well yes, he's poopy." She made some joke about how they call the ones that don't smell the "sneaky poops". It is true that my son is not clingy with other people (especially the subs) so it could be hard to tell, but a quick pulling back the diaper and peeking works. He was wearing a shirt and shorts, so it wasn't like they'd have to take a onsie off. She wrote down on the sheet that the diaper change was done, a BM, and signed it. I thought that was weird, but didn't think too much of all this.

The sheet said that there was a diaper change at 9:00 am (Wet), 11:00 am (Wet), 3:20 pm (BM), and 5:00 (BM) (which is the diaper I changed). The issue that I'm upset about is that when I got home, there were was only one wet diaper and the two BMs (one of which I changed). I'm not in the habit of counting the dirty diapers, but when there are only two, it's not like I had to manually count, it was OBVIOUS that something was off. I called my friend who uses cloth in the same room and she did not have the other diaper that was documented on the sheet.

Also, the sheet very much looks like the 11:00 diaper change was added later on. Like MUCH later on. The reason is that the 3:20 diaper change that was a BM was signed by one sub on the line directly underneath the 9:00 am change. It was then crossed out and the 11:00 was added in that spot and the 3:20 was rewritten and signed (fairly obviously) by the sub that added in the 11:00 change. This morning DH counted the number of clean diapers at daycare, and unless they put him in someone else's diaper, he was only changed twice all day by them. And if I'm right that the 11:00 change wasn't done, then he was in the same diaper from 9:00 until 3:20 pm. That is 6 hrs and 20 minutes! And the 3:20 pm was a poopy diaper, so I have no idea how long he was left in his own filth. Not to mention he was poopy when I arrived!

I am insanely angry. Probably unreasonably so. I'd like you ladies to help me craft talking points with the director today when I call. When DH did drop off this morning and after counting the number of clean diapers there, he told DS's main teacher (who was back today thank goodness) what happened. She is the one who told us to call the director as apparently she feels like the subs never like changing diapers. So, it sounds like it might be an ongoing problem with the subs. I have no issues with his care from the main teachers. In fact, I sometimes wish there were cameras so I could get parenting tips from them. They are awesome and my son loves them. But they would never let my child go over 6 hours in the same diaper. 4 hours is the previous max, and that was because he had an extra long nap and actually slept from 12:00 to 3:00 pm. They usually change him as soon as he wakes.

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Re: Seeing Red, help me collect my thoughts

I will also add that according to the sheet he woke up at 2:05 pm, so even if he had the 11:00 diaper change, he should've been changed at 2:05 anyway, not 3:20, but that is certainly much less of an issue than the 6 hr 20 minute and then trying to lie about it!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

wow, I'd be po'ed. I worked in a daycare for years and we were required to change every two hours. I'd definately be calling for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've worked in a daycare. Theres no way thats ok. Out would be bad enough if they forgot to change him the one time, then were honest about it. But they forgot to change him, forgot again for the 5:00 chamber, and lied about it

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a teacher and have subbed before, so I know that sometimes, not everything get documented right or done right while the teacher is out. Sometimes things get crazy and you forget to do stuff, and go back and do it later. I would definitely call the director and take the sheet in. But before you get too upset, I would remember that they are subs, and don't have the room's routine down very well, and cut them a little slack.

However, I would DEFINITELY bring it to the director's attention so they can be re-trained.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I am a teacher and have subbed before, so I know that sometimes, not everything get documented right or done right while the teacher is out. Sometimes things get crazy and you forget to do stuff, and go back and do it later. I would definitely call the director and take the sheet in. But before you get too upset, I would remember that they are subs, and don't have the room's routine down very well, and cut them a little slack.

However, I would DEFINITELY bring it to the director's attention so they can be re-trained.
I agree. I know it's easy to get angry when it comes to your children. I am an infant room teacher and also a mother of two children in daycare, so I can see both sides.These people are caring for your children so it's important to maintain positive relationships with them. To me, that means addressing problems respectfully and as a team. If you go in there all gung ho with your accusations, it's going to cause some friction. Personally, I would calmly discuss it with the subs first if possible. There is a good possibility that things were a little crazy with two subs. However, if the issues continued I would go to the director.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it's a sub issue, make that clear. Express your concern about the infrequency of changing. If it was a one time thing Id let it go, everyone makes mistakes. But since it sounds like a pattern for the sub Id report it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

Sure, and this was why I thought that it was possible that she just forgot to write it down, and was going back and writing it down later. That is why I called my friend looking for the "missing" diaper. And then had my husband count the clean ones at school the next morning in case it somehow got misplaced or put in someone else's bag. (3 of the 8 kids use cloth) I was hoping that it was just a late documentation thing, but it doesn't appear that that is the case. The "innocent" thing that I can see happening, is that she *thought* she changed him and so wrote it down anyway. However, even if it was an innocent mistake, I agree it should be brought to attention so that it doesn't happen again. On the other hand, I feel like I'm guilty of giving people too much of a benefit of the doubt sometimes.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia View Post
I agree. I know it's easy to get angry when it comes to your children. I am an infant room teacher and also a mother of two children in daycare, so I can see both sides.These people are caring for your children so it's important to maintain positive relationships with them. To me, that means addressing problems respectfully and as a team. If you go in there all gung ho with your accusations, it's going to cause some friction. Personally, I would calmly discuss it with the subs first if possible. There is a good possibility that things were a little crazy with two subs. However, if the issues continued I would go to the director.
This is my main concern. I don't want to anger the people taking care of my son. But I don't want to not advocate for him as well if they are in the wrong either. Maybe I'll go pick him up early and chat with the main teacher a bit first. It was the main teacher that made it sound like it might be an ongoing problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Is there a chance the sub used a disposable diaper on him for one of the changes on accident? Our church nursery sometimes changes my son into a disposable because the person changing him didn't see his cloth diaper and wetbag on the shelf or maybe because some of the nursery ladies are scared of cloth . I would bring it up with the school/teacher, but I would try to ask before I assumed.