Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
C/s plus toddler

I am expecting and due right around DS1's birthday. He will be just turning two. I'm looking for helpful hints about taking care of them while recovering. My main concern is diaper changes (or lifting him onto the potty.... I can dream right?) , getting him up into the high chair, and putting him up into his bed. Ideas? TIA!

Advertisement

AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelElle View Post
I am expecting and due right around DS1's birthday. He will be just turning two. I'm looking for helpful hints about taking care of them while recovering. My main concern is diaper changes (or lifting him onto the potty.... I can dream right?) , getting him up into the high chair, and putting him up into his bed. Ideas? TIA!
I put a chair or stool next to those kind of places so the toddler could climb up. I still had to do lift them the rest of the way, but I figured it was better than lifting them from the floor. I never injured myself doing it this way.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: C/s plus toddler

I had a 23 month old when I had my c/s, so when I did dipe changes for him, I'd help him climb on the couch and change him there. As far as feeding him, I have a stool I helped him onto and then into his high chair. We had already switched him to a toddler bed (cause the baby took the crib!) so I don't have any tips for that He was also really good about getting into the carseat by himself, so all I had to do is a little adjusting and then strapping him in.

Also, when you go to put him in a buggy (at a store) I would lift the part where the baby normally sits (that whole part, if that makes any sense) and he loved climbing into the buggy that way

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would ask for as much help as you can get. We have 3 grandmas in town, so they came over for lunch/nap time, and then DH was home for dinner and bedtime. For the highchair, at that age we moved my DD1 into a booster seat, which she could climb into from a stool next to her chair. We also have a Fisher Price picnic table I would sometimes let her eat at. For naps, I almost always had someone there. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a 20 month old when I had a c section (with my 2nd). DD learned to climb up onto/into most places she needed to go, and I would hold her hand or arm for balance and reassurance without doing any actual lifting. We did diaper changes on the couch. We used a booster on a dining chair, she climbed in and out and I buckled her. We had moved her out of the crib already, so she used a step stool to bet in bed. Just get creative, it will be ok! I know its daunting.

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree - any ways that you can help your 2 yo to feel like the 'big kid' will help. My 2nd was 2 when my 3rd was born. She became my biggest helper. She still is. : )

There were a few times when 2 yo reverted a bit and started acting helpless and babyish. I would usually indulge her in a sort of sarcastic/playful way, which we both enjoyed, and then she was fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would plan to change the diapers on the couch (or somewhere your LO can climb to) or on the floor if you can get down there. I wouldn't try to potty train before the baby comes or around that time...I'd wait until at least 3-4 months after baby arrives. If you try to before then he might regress and it would all be for naught. After the baby comes and is there for a while there's a good chance your LO will not want to be a baby anymore and want to go potty and NOT wear diapers like the baby . Do you have a booster seat in a kitchen chair? That's usually an easy place for LO's to climb into by themselves. I would consider moving him into a toddler bed. I always have with the youngest before the new baby comes so they feel like a big kid and it makes it easier for them to get in bed by themselves...my smallest gap between C/S was 19 months and yes, I even put the 19 month old into a toddler bed and she did great! Work on teaching him to climb into his carseat by himself so you can just strap him in too - that's another big lift. Work with him on climbing up next to you and sitting beside you now (or when your belly's big) so he'll be used to that when your scar is score. When you go shopping go somewhere that has those car shopping carts with the seat belts or something similar and he can just climb right in and you buckle him in. Practice getting him to climb in the bathtub using a step stool and using a step stool to reach the sink to wash his hands. Allow him to help after the baby comes too - send him to get diapers, clean baby clothes, wet wipes, etc. Put snacks for him on a both shelf in the pantry and he can go get his own snack from choices you've made available while you are nursing - put juice boxes there too and he can bring you a drink to open for him too. If you do TV invest in netflix for a short time or some new movies to save until after baby arrives.

The good thing is - what kid doesn't like climbing so whenever I've said just climb up ____ they always look at me at first like REALLY and then they smile and do it .

And yes - use the help you may have and let other people do the lifting for a while!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
ThreeLittleLovies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was born 1 week before my son turned 2. My husband was home from work for a good while so that helped a lot. But I actually showed my son my c-section incision and explained how it hurts so bad. He understood that mommy couldn't pick him up for that reason and not because I didn't want to.
ThreeLittleLovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleLovies View Post
My daughter was born 1 week before my son turned 2. My husband was home from work for a good while so that helped a lot. But I actually showed my son my c-section incision and explained how it hurts so bad. He understood that mommy couldn't pick him up for that reason and not because I didn't want to.
I do this with my kids after my c-sections too! THey were grossly fascinated by my booboo (I show them while the staples are in) and wanted to see it frequently. It really did help make them aware to be very gentle and careful when touching or being around mommy. Good tip!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the ideas! I feel better already! Hugs to you all.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote