Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

New to flats

What is a good fold to boingo a flat for a heavy wetting boy? I tried the kite fold and didn't have much luck. Would it be better to just pad fold it into a cover instead? I was wanting to put a wool or fleece cover over the flat. Thanks!

Advertisement

EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Celestials
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: New to flats

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1143602

Chek out this thread when you have time
Celestials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

With my son I learned all these fancy folds and then my midwife showed me the one that's just like a prefold (make a square, fold it in 3rd the long way, flip out the wings on the top ... think it's called a newspaper or angel wing fold).

Then when I quit fastening them I folded them like this in a Flip cover.

Or just pad folded in a gDiaper cover.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
McDMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII
With my son I learned all these fancy folds and then my midwife showed me the one that's just like a prefold (make a square, fold it in 3rd the long way, flip out the wings on the top ... think it's called a newspaper or angel wing fold).

I've been wanting to try flats but most people tend to use Flips with them, which I don't like. They are too wide in the crotch and never seem to fit my kids right. Any other covers that would work well with your non pad fold? Does the cover have to have front and back flaps for this to work right?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDMom View Post
I've been wanting to try flats but most people tend to use Flips with them, which I don't like. They are too wide in the crotch and never seem to fit my kids right. Any other covers that would work well with your non pad fold? Does the cover have to have front and back flaps for this to work right?
I have heard that diaper safari, diaper rite, and capri work like that with the flaps for tucking.....I have a diaper safari otw to try for this.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDMom

I can actually get an origami fold into a softbums echo with a bit of tucking and practice. In my expierence though, it seems like most flat folds need a wider cover, unless you pad fold.

I like to fold mine in half, then thirds to get a long rectangle and then fold it for the rise you need and then lay into a softbums echo. I live how trim it is!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 12-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post

What I am wondering is (esp with a boy) - with that flap up front that you are tucking the flat into, doesn't the penis hit right there and the pee hit the actual cover or is the flap sitting higher up than I am visualizing?

Also, do some babies get sensitive to having the skin to skin contact with the cover?
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
What I am wondering is (esp with a boy) - with that flap up front that you are tucking the flat into, doesn't the penis hit right there and the pee hit the actual cover or is the flap sitting higher up than I am visualizing?

Also, do some babies get sensitive to having the skin to skin contact with the cover?
even coming from someone who dislikes pad fold (unless its inside a snappi-ed prefold or another snappied flat) and isn't a fan of flip, I wouldn't have a problem with the flap touching-- its higher towards the bellybutton. Best to point a boy down for any fold- but don't see that as an overlap problem even if you didn't..

the covers could bother a baby (any cover could) but the flaps are the fabric side to baby, not pul.

(edit- that sounds snotty. not meant to. question makes total sense I did laugh a second- but I do have a boy )

Last edited by c&w's mama; 12-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
breast4my3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm still in the learning, playing around stage too. I found the "happy anteater" fold on youtube and it seems to work well with plenty to snappi (21 month old 20ish lbs) and I just put a fleece cover I made over it (I made a pattern from a bummis sww cover). The happy anteater is basically the origami fold then you fold the sides up next to the pad in the center to make the legs fit a little better.
and begging for 1 more!
breast4my3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really liked the airplane fold when we could get away with one large flat for a while. Now I fold one flat like a prefold and put another flat padfolded inside of it and put it on like a prefold with a jelly roll or the angel wing fold.