Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would there be interest in hatching chicken eggs?

I'll correct the abrivations. My hatch rate has been close to 100% with the new humidity levels I'm trying! I do 35% till 18 and then around 60%.

The shipping, I'm sure, will effect the success rate. I keep reading that it does. But if you can hold eggs before setting till 7 days, I think I should be able to get them fast enough.

The chick in the pic is one of the cochin momas. Notice the feathers on the middle toe.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, JoyJoy-BYC is very depressing. I'd love to have one of a few diff breeds but it's all about the money. You can't even garentee eggs, esp shipped. I'd love to find people wanting to trade cochin for something on my dream list, but everyone just wants to sell.

I though this lotto would be great to no only give, but spread the word of how fun and fullfilling a back yard flock can be. You don't have to be a homesteader. Even 3 hens is a wonderfull blessing. So much to learn too when it come to children. <3
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

this would be so cool but our city doesnt allow chickens in your yard lol
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'm gonna start looking for the right size boxes. I also need to get some bubble wrap. It looks like the most affordable/safest route will be priority by weight. It's gonna really varry by zip. The large frb looks safest, but for only 6 eggs, not a good price.

I also don't know how to calculate pp fees so I have enough to print/purchase the shipping label? Help anyone?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought of something. If you wanted to wait till spring, I could just do the $2.50 a doz I sell them for eating for, plus the pp fees, and shipping. By then I should be an expert, lol. I have tried to find eggs everywhere to hatch and I can tell you, you just can't find them affordable. I just would like to make it possible for more people to be able to enjoy them. I'd just do them all ffs, but Ray would have my rear because the eggs we sell, that money goes to feed. Hatching eggs shouldn't be so expensive. I know it takes hours to package properly and the materials arn't cheap, but not $25 like I keep finding. Plus $15+ to ship! Booo.

Just picture walking out back and getting eggs just layed for breakfast. The feeling can't be beat. And I won't mention how the chickens are kept that are sold at the store. I made a big mistake watching a vid on youtube and cried for 30 mins.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you know, spring shipping might be a better option. mainly because of temps. i have no idea how to calculate pp fees or shipping costs, and i know eggs would need to be specially protected. it's too bad you can't find a local group who wants to swap eggs with you, to try other breeds. maybe craigslist? i'm sure you've looked. i know i have down here!
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we always had a little backyard flock growing up, and i love happy chicken sounds. it does make a big difference to me that the animals providing my food have a pleasant life. not always possible...but a good goal.
spring would be nice for me, because i'm pregnant right now and very sick. so while i'm super excited about the possibility of incubating some babies...i'm also already incubating one.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol. I hope you get to feeling better sweetie!

Craigs is a joke here. All scammer mail.

Believe it or not, the temps arn't terrible for the eggs as you might think. You are actually supposed to keep them cool while collecting what you wish to set. Every egg will have to be individually bubble wrapped, all placed in tons of shredded paper. It's pretty time comsuming. But, it keeps them safe and insulated. I found a moma on byc that may be willing to trade some of my cd stuff for some eggs!!!!!??? Yay at even the thought.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, lmk if in spring you would like eggs. I will also have pure cochin layers by then too. I won't have high prices either. I just don't think it's fair. You end up with roos, fails, perhaps even a cracked egg, why pay so much? I'll have to do some major planning to assure they are all the cochin hens eggs though. Many of the gals lay identical eggs!!! A real pain.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's too bad about craigslist up there. i've been able to get some nice stuff around here in the past few years -- baby guinea fowl and good quality manure, for starters.
i'd love some cochins, and will definitely keep in touch about that, but you have a lovely selection of breeds....barred rock and buff brahma are two of my very favorites, and i'm not opposed to mutts. i agree -- unless you saw the egg exit the chicken, it's awfully hard to tell them apart sometimes!
there ought to be quite a bit of overlap between CD families and BYC families -- best of luck finding more willing traders!