Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What things do you do to naturally induce labor?

This is my 4th pregnancy and my first time using a midwife.

I had the same AWESOME OB for my 1st 3 babies and was induced with all 3 of them at 41 weeks (that's his personal threshold for how long he will allow a mama to go).

Once induced, my labors were very fast - like 7 hours from checking in at the hospital NOT in labor to delivery. I have never had any complications.

Anyway, this time, I am using a midwife and - obviously- will not be induced unless there is some medical reason for that.

I am wondering.....

***What are some things that I can begin doing around 36 weeks to begin to prepare my body to go into labor on its own?

Thanks!

Advertisement

lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started EPO at 35w w/ DD3 and had her at 38w5d 2 days after being stripped. I was 4cm at 38w3d. I started it at 34w w/ DD4 and had her at 40w after 2 failed strippings. I was 2-3cm at 39w4d. I definitely think EPO helped to ripen my cervix. In fact, 30 min after my water broke w/ DD4 she was born. I know some take RRL tea but I can't stomach tea at all so I pass on that.

Once I hit 37 wks I do more walking, squatting, etc and I will even use my pump. Of course I am aware that all my efforts may be in vain (and usually are) as baby will come when it is time but it certainly doesn't hurt to try, right?

I know that if by some miracle we have another (DH got a vas) I will use EPO again.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What things do you do to naturally induce labor?

I've done EPO to prep my cervix, starting around 36 weeks. Tons of walking, lots of sex/orgasm, nipple stimulation/pumping......... and that's about it. I won't do castor oil.. too many horror stories about women ending up spending hours on the toilet FEELING like they're going to have a baby, without the baby actually coming. Or having awful diarreah while in labor. No thank you! Unfortunately none of my efforts have ever worked... but at least it makes me feel like I am doing something I guess.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With DS, I tried lots of walking, squatting and time on the exercise ball. Plus lots of sex/orgasm and nipple stimulation. These things got me contractions but nothing that yielded a baby until several days after my due date. And my doctor was pretty sure I was delivering a week or so early. Good luck, mama.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Sex, walking.some do evening primrose oil pills.......I hear spicey did Caster oil.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

I did EPO with last pregnancy starting around 35w and took blue and black cohosh at 40w with both DD and DS. With the cohosh, I started with the pellets and then did the tincture at 41w. DD was born right at 41w and DS was 41w 4d.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I read that epo may cause srom. I had srom with my third and I was using epo. I induced with castor oil once it had been 48 hours without starting labor.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you should worry about it your labor will start and it will probably be quick. I have tried to encourage labor and it didn't do anything other than give me a few contractions to get my hopes up. There are lots of things you can do...but it's a slippery slope of thinking that you can control the process..when really it's better to trust that your body will do it. drinking rrl tea is a good idea, but it won't induce labor. It might make it shorter, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried everything with DS1 from riding bike, to hand-mopping floors to eating pineapple to drinking tea...anything I could do besides DTD...nothing worked

With DS2 I was ready and we DTD and I slowly went into labor that night and delivered within 48 hours. It only works if you are ready though. I had gone into PTL a month earlier and was waiting for a trigger.
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did EPO and RLL capsules. Other than that I just wait. I feel like for me at least, if I'm relaxed and just letting things happen it actually does. I was very surprised to be dilated at 38 weeks with DD when I was 0 with DS when induced. It was actually kind of funny that I really didn't want to go into labor until after the week was over b/c I was waiting on my antibiotics for my homebirth. I got them late Friday night, finally relaxed and I went into labor and had her that Sunday night at 40w2d