Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you prep food ahead of time before you have the baby?

With my last baby, I did a bunch of food preparation ahead of time to prepare for the baby. Basically, I cooked up a bunch of meat and froze it. I then used that meat to make some simple and basic meals.

But, I am wondering, what do you all do to prepare food ahead of time before you have a baby?

Advertisement

lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Basically, I made up several casseroles and froze them. I also stocked up on food for the grill since DS was born in the summer (and this one will be too) since those are easy meals.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
kanga1622
Registered Users

I already have a lot if food in my freezer for when our next is born in June. I like to make soups, stews, taco meat, sloppy joe meat, plain cooked hamburger, pulled pork, and cubed ham. That way I have several meals that require very little prep and it only takes me 10 minutes to throw together a casserole if the meat is all done. Even lasagna can be put together in the time it takes to preheat the oven if the meat is cooked.

I'm still looking for more meal ideas for the freezer. We eat a lot of the above items so I'll rotate the ones currently in our freezer out for fresher batches over the next several months. I just tend to make double batches once a week to get my stash started early.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you prep food ahead of time before you have the baby?

I make and freeze 4-6 weeks' worth of freezer meals for post-partum (I have c-sections so recovery is longer). I usually triple recipes and freeze the extras and then sometime during the last trimester I spend at least 2 days (sometimes it just takes half the day, other times all of it), doing beef meals and then chicken meals (at least tripling each recipe). The last month of pregnancy, I'll make the baked goods and breakfast foods. The 2 books "Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer" have really helped me with the how-to's, how longs, in what containers and bags, and recipe ideas. Now I can look at about any recipe and figure out how to freeze it or if it will be good frozen.
Cooking up meat or putting it in bags and marinating it in the freezer is nice and I do that too. I just also like to have a bunch of meals that can be taken right out and stuck in the oven with no prep. My DH and sister have a hard enough time caring for the older kids to be good about cooking! haha. Freezer meals are our family's lifesaver in the kitchen!
On the outside of each freezer ziploc bag or aluminum foil, I write down what it is and the instructions for reheating it (or adding cheese if it needs it and whatnot). So the family just has to pull it out and not dig for a cookbook. Then I keep a paper on the inside of my kitchen cabinet that has a list of every meal in the freezer with a box representing how many. Like 3-Cheese Spaghetti: III (but boxes).

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 12-12-2012 at 05:33 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Really dumb question. What if you have your freezer full of frozen meat (unprepared)? We are going to get a side of beef, side of pig and a lamb on the 23rd. We will make a dent in this before the baby comes but not a huge dent. I also have a c-section and I hate the hospital food.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
ingrid5699
Registered Users

I made casseroles, soups and stews and froze them. I also premade things like homemade pizza, meatballs etc. Basically a ton of things that I could just reheat or that was quick. Not sure what I'll do this time since I doubt I'll feel like casseroles/stews in the middle of the summer.

Jennifer-get a second cheap freezer? Maybe even try Craigslist?
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh boy. I have nothing done and am starting to feel worried.

My bonus is that my 12 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son know how to cook A LOT of meals. However, they're already gonna have a lot of extra things to do w/ helping out with the 2 yr old and the new baby.

It seems like it would help if I do a bunch of stuff ahead of time.

I guess I need to get on it --- like NOW!!
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid5699 View Post
I made casseroles, soups and stews and froze them. I also premade things like homemade pizza, meatballs etc. Basically a ton of things that I could just reheat or that was quick. Not sure what I'll do this time since I doubt I'll feel like casseroles/stews in the middle of the summer.

Jennifer-get a second cheap freezer? Maybe even try Craigslist?
DH is scared of craigslist. We have thought about getting another freezer for our CSA. We get a ton from that too and that will start up in May/June. Baby will be here mid July.

Maybe we should think about this more seriously. Getting prepared foods like what we did with DS (after he was born) it would be cheaper to get a freezer in the long run. Gee, would I be a prepper with 2 large chest freezers. I live on a small piece of land (compared to the rest of the country, palatial for New Jersey... 6 people should live here according to the population density of this state. ).
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I intend on making casseroles and things like lasagna, enchiladas, and macaroni and cheese to freeze in the last month of the pregnancy.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs

DH is scared of craigslist. We have thought about getting another freezer for our CSA. We get a ton from that too and that will start up in May/June. Baby will be here mid July.

Maybe we should think about this more seriously. Getting prepared foods like what we did with DS (after he was born) it would be cheaper to get a freezer in the long run. Gee, would I be a prepper with 2 large chest freezers. I live on a small piece of land (compared to the rest of the country, palatial for New Jersey... 6 people should live here according to the population density of this state. ).
Frankly, chest freezers are relatively cheap and everyone wanted new prices when I looked at my CL. Maybe you could just get a new one? A smallish one is less than $300.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote