Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do you prep food ahead of time before you have the baby?

Now that I have had one baby and am contemplating another, I have a different perspective on this than I did when pregnant with my son I am looking at food in two ways:

1) Meals in the freezer
2) Portioned snacks to help me be successful with eating healthily and supporting breastfeeding

For #1, I did casseroles and breakfast burritos. I had many meals done before baby.

For #2, I bought these
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/set-of...ar-lids/f33113 and portioned out nuts, cut up cheese and fruit, granola bars, salami and crackers, anything that could be easily eaten with one hand while BFing. I have two dozen. The containers go easily into the dishwasher but the lids need to be handwashed. I just kept a sinkful of soapy water all day, tossed them in as needed, and then washed at night. I would make snacks for a couple of days worth (cut up a block of cheese and roll of salami, wash and portion grapes, nuts, melons, stonefruit, etc.

This time I have a list sitting in my email that I re-email myself every once in a while and add to when I think of it so I can email it to my husband, mom or sister when needed for next baby and they can go to the grocery store before I get home from the hospital.

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did Dream Dinners...we used the assembly as a date night and then we had several frozen meals. This time I am doing all of the freezable meals from 5dinners1hour.com because I use it during the week anyway.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never done make ahead meals before the birth. DH has 10 days paternity leave through work and Im usually good to go after that Not to mention, at some point my mom is here for a few days and will restock our pantry for us.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pp, thanks for reminding me about breastfeeding snacks!!! I had forgotten all about that ravenous hunger that is literally around the clock.....I will add that to my list of things to prepare for.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I've never done make ahead meals before the birth. DH has 10 days paternity leave through work and Im usually good to go after that Not to mention, at some point my mom is here for a few days and will restock our pantry for us.
Lucky you! My DH owns his own business - no work no pay. Which, is a double bummer considering we will have just finished paying to have a baby with no maternity coverage. So, he will probably only take off a couple of days. I have begun praying I will start labor on like a Thurs morning that can finish up Thurs evening. Then, he can have fri, sat, sun, and maybe mon off with me

My mom is very helpful, too. But, she will likely be helping me with the other kids or something. It gets more complicated the more kids you have! So much to be done and accounted for...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I made casseroles, mac and cheese and also marinated chicken breasts and froze them in the marinade (they are so tasty, just let them defrost for 24 hours and you've got tender, flavorful marinated chicken).

I have a book called "the best make ahead recipes" and honestly everything in the book is fantastic. I've made at least 25 recipes from the book and haven't found a dud yet. It talks about freezer casseroles, marinades and then dinners you can make the day before.

I have made for when the baby comes:
mac and cheese
creamy penne with chicken and mushrooms
ancho cherry chipotle tamale pie
tons of marinated chicken breasts

and I can't remember what else without looking in the freezer but it ends up being around 14 days worth of meals. I am super picky about eating food that tastes good and I've had plenty of gross freezer meals that people bring when their is a death or birth in the family (dried out mushy baked ziti anyone?) and these taste fresh and delicious even if they've been in the freezer for a month. The book explains how to cook pasta to keep it from turning into a soggy mess.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
ingrid5699
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
DH is scared of craigslist. We have thought about getting another freezer for our CSA. We get a ton from that too and that will start up in May/June. Baby will be here mid July.
I would definitely get a 2nd freezer then. It sounds like you could really use it and would save money in the long run. Our small chest freezer was under 300$ and it was new and is a brand name.

Forgot all about BFing snacks-definitely need to prepare those too. I plan to make a few batches of BFing cookies and freeze them. But trail mix is also a good idea. I get soooooo hungry while BFing.
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
DH is scared of craigslist. We have thought about getting another freezer for our CSA. We get a ton from that too and that will start up in May/June. Baby will be here mid July.

Maybe we should think about this more seriously. Getting prepared foods like what we did with DS (after he was born) it would be cheaper to get a freezer in the long run. Gee, would I be a prepper with 2 large chest freezers. I live on a small piece of land (compared to the rest of the country, palatial for New Jersey... 6 people should live here according to the population density of this state. ).
We have two large chest freezers! hehe. And dh's parents down the road have an incredibly large chest freezer. We need the room because we butcher our cow and chickens and then have a hog butchered. That with freezer meals... we need the room!

We buy our freezers new as well Heard of too many people buying used and during the move, the freezer gets shoved wrong or lifted wrong and it breaks. (something with the inside needs to stay flat).

Great reminder of breastfeeding snacks. Some great ones that freeze well for us have been:
Chewy Granola Bars from Tammy's Recipes
Energy Granola Balls from Money Saving Mom
Any kind of muffin (i tend to use half ww/half white flour with those)
Smoothie Popsicles
Cubed Cheese

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 12-13-2012 at 05:15 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid5699 View Post
I would definitely get a 2nd freezer then. It sounds like you could really use it and would save money in the long run. Our small chest freezer was under 300$ and it was new and is a brand name.

Forgot all about BFing snacks-definitely need to prepare those too. I plan to make a few batches of BFing cookies and freeze them. But trail mix is also a good idea. I get soooooo hungry while BFing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
We have two large chest freezers! hehe. And dh's parents down the road have an incredibly large chest freezer. We need the room because we butcher our cow and chickens and then have a hog butchered. That with freezer meals... we need the room!

We buy our freezers new as well Heard of too many people buying used and during the move, the freezer gets shoved wrong or lifted wrong and it breaks. (something with the inside needs to stay flat).

Great reminder of breastfeeding snacks. Some great ones that freeze well for us have been:
Chewy Granola Bars from Tammy's Recipes
Energy Granola Balls from Money Saving Mom
Any kind of muffin (i tend to use half ww/half white flour with those)
Smoothie Popsicles
Cubed Cheese
At least I will not feel so odd with 2 freezers then. I just need to figure out where to put it. I only want a chest freezer because they are more energy efficient and easier to maintain. We got the biggest one we could 4 years ago, sad to think we might need 2. I guess we will need to get that generator then to make sure my food doesn't go to waste. I should also call our insurance company to find out if they would have an issue with it too, in the event of a loss. They may think we are "odd" for having 2 freezers.

I like those dishes from Crate and Barrel. I might have to get some of those myself! Great idea!

ETA My insurance covers the second freezer but only $500 worth of food! I can't increase that amount either! I am about to get $2000 of meat!

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 12-13-2012 at 07:15 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I took notes and reserved the books from the library that were recommended here. I will use all this great info to make a plan.