Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you prep food ahead of time before you have the baby?

I am gluten intolerant, so I make a lot from scratch. I am due in February, and I have already started making and freezing jars of cream-of-soups for the easier meals.

A tip I saw on pinterest for freezer meals: Line the pan with aluminum foil, put the food in, top with aluminum foil (making a packet), then freeze and remove the packet from the pan, so you have all your meals sans-pans ready to go in the freezer and aren't taking up pans or extra room.

I really need to start doubling up meals and freezing, but I have been struggling even to get dinner on the table lately...but it's only going to get worse, so I really need to get my tail in gear!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #22
ingrid5699
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
A tip I saw on pinterest for freezer meals: Line the pan with aluminum foil, put the food in, top with aluminum foil (making a packet), then freeze and remove the packet from the pan, so you have all your meals sans-pans ready to go in the freezer and aren't taking up pans or extra room.
Oh that's a good idea with the aluminum foil. Though I think for the meals I want to heat in the microwave I'd use microwave safe plastic wrap instead.

Anyone have an idea how long the food like energy bars etc stays safe in the freezer? I seem to be hitting my relative 'honeymoon' period with my hyperemesis so need to take advantage before I am back to puking my guts out. Am I wrong to think the muffins and energy bars should be safe for 6/7 months? (no time to start before Christmas anyway but I hope to still feel good in early January)
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid5699 View Post
Oh that's a good idea with the aluminum foil. Though I think for the meals I want to heat in the microwave I'd use microwave safe plastic wrap instead.

Anyone have an idea how long the food like energy bars etc stays safe in the freezer? I seem to be hitting my relative 'honeymoon' period with my hyperemesis so need to take advantage before I am back to puking my guts out. Am I wrong to think the muffins and energy bars should be safe for 6/7 months? (no time to start before Christmas anyway but I hope to still feel good in early January)
Muffins and other baked goods tend to lose their texture and some taste after 1 month (technically), but I've kept them in for 6 weeks and it was right on the edge. Granola Energy Balls and Granola bars, I've kept for 2 months and they've been fine. I think they would all be "safe" in the freezer for 6 months or so, just not taste the same.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=The Fancy Pansy;16041407]I am gluten intolerant, so I make a lot from scratch. I am due in February, and I have already started making and freezing jars of cream-of-soups for the easier meals.

Yeah...we have severe allergies in our family and cook everything from scratch. I didn't mention that in my original post b/c I wanted to hear everyones feedback and then do my tweeking. It definitely complicates everything. My church is fabulous for bringing meals after you have had a baby, but nobody brings us meals bc I think theyre afraid (or they don't like us ha ha ha). We cant do the typical casseroles, noodle things, lasagnas, enchiladas.

So, I am just gonna take the ideas from the books and make some (major) adjustments. I am hoping to learn how to freeze and store side dishes and vegies. I have the meat part down, but would be nice if I could put some "complete" meals in the freezer so there wasn't any prep that had to be done. At least for the first week or so (while I am still sore).
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh,I also plan on making muffin tin lunches, like mini pot pies made with biscuit mix, corn dog muffins made with cornbread and half a hot dog in each, and homemade hot pockets made from croissant dough and whatever fillings I want that can all be frozen to reheat as needed.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't worry about it. We always have a house full of fresh fruits, veggies, & cheeses. When we came home with the twins my mom visited to cook & clean for 1 week, then we ordered in for the next 2-3 weeks.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
I don't worry about it. We always have a house full of fresh fruits, veggies, & cheeses. When we came home with the twins my mom visited to cook & clean for 1 week, then we ordered in for the next 2-3 weeks.
Lucky!

We had -0- help from family when DS was born and I'm expecting similar with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just found a great website - www.onceamonthmom.com that gives you options on how to prep and freeze a months worth of food for your family.

Here you can choose from several menus - traditional, gluten/dairy free, weight loss, whole foods, and something else. After you choose your menu and the number of humans you are feeding, she gives you a month of recipes, shopping list, and detailed instruction plan on how to do it.

It's only $8 for 1 month and you can only sign up for 1 month at a time. Or you can do an annual membership.

She has a lot of recipes (500?) of past months that you can access for free without membership, but there's no shopping lists or detailed instruction plans.

Anyway, I am giving this a whirl. Signed up today and printed off all my stuff. Will do my shopping and prep (hopefully) next week when my mom can (hopefully) help me out.

Maybe I will do it twice before the baby is born.

Anyway, I will repost here after I have done it and then again after I eat the food (the recipes look really really good, but you never totally know).

In the meantime, I am gonna take some of you lovely ladies suggestion and try to at least double every meal I make and put the extra one in the freezer. That way I at least have something in there in case I can't get around to doing the full plan.

Last edited by lady longs; 12-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The simplest way for me was just to double meals I was already preparing for dinner that freeze well into disposable foil trays or gallon freezer bags to save myself some clean up too.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
The simplest way for me was just to double meals I was already preparing for dinner that freeze well into disposable foil trays or gallon freezer bags to save myself some clean up too.
I am going to do this this week. It makes a lot of sense!