Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Body lotion

Does anyone know of a good recipe for a body lotion for pregnant mamas? I'm hoping for something that will help prevent stretch marks, although I know they're not always avoidable.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Body lotion

I think the only things that prevent stretch marks are genetics and drinking tons of water to maintain skin elasticity. I managed to avoid them with DD, but my mom didn't get them and I drank a ton of water. I didn't really use any lotion - some cocoabutter about once a week cause someone gave me some at a shower.

BUT.. if I was to try, I would definitely add some liquid vitamin E to any concoction I made because that stuff is awesome and a little bit lasts a long time.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

this isn't a lotion but zinc is great for skin elasticity and if you are zinc deficient you are more likely to get stretch marks.

Unfortunately I have tons of stretch marks (except on my belly thank goodness) and I use a mixture of jojoba oil and coconut oil every day and take my zinc religiously. I think my issue was that I started out 15 pounds heavier than I normally am and then gained weight on top of that. I had intended to lose the 15 lbs prior to the pregnancy but didn't try very hard.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
I swear by Palmer's oil. I get I at Walmart for about $10. Its an actual oil and has vit e in it too!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
this isn't a lotion but zinc is great for skin elasticity and if you are zinc deficient you are more likely to get stretch marks.

Unfortunately I have tons of stretch marks (except on my belly thank goodness) and I use a mixture of jojoba oil and coconut oil every day and take my zinc religiously. I think my issue was that I started out 15 pounds heavier than I normally am and then gained weight on top of that. I had intended to lose the 15 lbs prior to the pregnancy but didn't try very hard.
but just know... that if you are NOT zinc deficient, you will/might spend the day puking your guts out if you take zinc supplements.

always happens if I take zinc. Took me awhile to figure out it was the zinc.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have always heard that it is purely genetics that determines whether you will or will not get stretch marks. I prefer coconut oil since it is very pure and is a great moisturizer.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Virgin unrefined coconut oil(1 part) and organic Shea butter(2parts). You can add cocoa butter too and an essential oil for scent if you'd like. Melt the oil and butter(s) over low heat then pour into a heat safe bowl(glass, stainless steel). Once it starts to solidify blend until its like whipped cream(10-15min). Then add essential oil if you want and blend well.
I also use plain coconut oil too.
This may not prevent stretch marks but it will moisturize and its A Lot healthier than plain store bought lotions.
If interested you can get the ingredients on www.mountainroseherbs.com. Their Shea butter is much cheaper than that bought at whole foods, etc...
HTH
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Virgin unrefined coconut oil(1 part) and organic Shea butter(2parts). You can add cocoa butter too and an essential oil for scent if you'd like. Melt the oil and butter(s) over low heat then pour into a heat safe bowl(glass, stainless steel). Once it starts to solidify blend until its like whipped cream(10-15min). Then add essential oil if you want and blend well.
I also use plain coconut oil too.
This may not prevent stretch marks but it will moisturize and its A Lot healthier than plain store bought lotions.
If interested you can get the ingredients on www.mountainroseherbs.com. Their Shea butter is much cheaper than that bought at whole foods, etc...
HTH
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think the only things that prevent stretch marks are genetics and drinking tons of water to maintain skin elasticity.
This is what I've always been told, too. My grandmother, mother and all 3 sisters have stretch marks so I knew I'd more than likely get them too. However, that didn't/doesn't stop me from trying to prevent them

With my first pregnancy I drank tons of water and used coco butter for a while but couldn't stand the smell so I stopped. Then I used a body oil with vitamin E, tea tree oil and lanolin. I liked it a lot but I still got stretch marks everywhere I also tried Bio Oil. That stuff made my skin super soft but did nothing for stretch marks. And it's expensive.

With this pregnancy I'm still drinking tons of water but this time I've been making my own body butter with coconut oil, shea butter and Almond oil. I use this recipe: http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-body-butter-recipe/

I love it!!!!! I doubt it'll do anything for my stretch marks but it makes my skin so soft and it's fairly inexpensive to make.

Last edited by Southern Momma; 12-13-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: removed double hyperlink
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use pure vitamin e and also use aquaphore healin cream 2 times a day. I have super sever eczema too Nd knock on wood this has been helping a ton!