Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #21
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to do about 7.5 yr old DD's Christmas request?

While my first thought is no, then I thought about it. There is really no difference between a phone and an ipad/ipod touch and people buy those for 7yr olds. . Both are expensive, both can be lost/broken, they all allow communication with family or strangers..

I wonder if a phone might actually be more boring than she thinks though? It's not like she's a teenager and can text all her friends.

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #22
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD wants an ipod touch too. However she is ridiculously irresponsible and won't be getting one lol. She loses everything.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not get her one personally.

Id probably go for something like the leap pad, innotab ect. Then she gets the educational games
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know with our plan it would be even less than $35 a month to add her if we got her a phone and again the phone would be free. she already has a leapster pad and a nitendo ds plus she plays on her sisters nooks and the computer.
We also don't have a landline either she is the only one without a cell phone the other girls had cells by 10 and 12 probably would have had sooner but we had just gotten cells a year earlier and turned off our landline 6 mths before they got theirs.

Last edited by kattayanna_mom; 12-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.
kattayanna_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids won't get cell phones until they can pay for them themselves! iPod touch with the text app would be ok.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
I know with our plan it would be even less than $35 a month to add her if we got her a phone and again the phone would be free. she already has a leapster pad and a nitendo ds plus she plays on her sisters nooks and the computer.
We also don't have a landline either she is the only one without a cell phone the other girls had cells by 10 and 12 probably would have had sooner but we had just gotten cells a year earlier and turned off our landline 6 mths before they got theirs.
You know your child, we don't.
1. Is she responsible with her things?
2. Would she responsible with minute limits
3. Does your plan have free mobile-to-mobile?
4. Can she be trusted not to text random strangers?
5. Is she ever home alone?

If the answer to all of these is yes, and YOU are comfortable with her having a phone, then get her the phone. Each child and each family is different.

I have a 7 yr old, but he has no need for a cell phone. We have a land line, and he's never home alone. I might leave him in the house while I walk up to the office to pay rent, or check the mail (can see my apartment from the mail room). Before I leave I call my cell phone, so that if he needs me all he has to do is hit "redial" and then "talk" on the home phone to call me in the 5 minutes I'm out of the house. And I am SAHM.

So MY 7.5 yr old has no need for a cell phone. But.. you don't have a land line, all of her siblings have a cell phone, so if she's ever in the house a lone, she really would need a phone in case of an emergency. Our neighbor's upstairs don't have a land line and the single mom works two jobs. She has a 13yr old and an 11 yr old, and they were ALWAYS coming down here to use our phone call her when she wasn't home (one time it was like 10:30 at night). She FINALLY got her oldest a cell phone so he could get a hold of her.

So....
Bottom line, if your daughter is a responsible child that can be trusted with a phone, and it won't cost you much, and it's what she REALLY wants for Christmas... then go for it.

My 7.5 yr old doesn't need one, but that's MY child and MY situation.

God bless!

But...

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #27
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I wouldnt. I would get an ipod or ipad mini. .

My girls were 11/12 when they got their phones.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote