Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
yoga mamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Line drying laundry in cold weather - HELP!!

We have the space to line dry all of our laundry outside during the warmer months (say March - October),a nd just about everything gets dry within a single day. But now that it is colder, and I'm doing laundry for a family of five, we are just drowning in laundry racks all over our home! I have resorted to tumble drying some items, because they just sat on the racks f o r e v e r.

How do all you thrifty mamas get your laundry dry when hanging it outside isn't an option?

TIA!

Advertisement

RADIANT BIRTH for Birth Stories, Birth Circles and Newborn News!
yoga mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Line drying laundry in cold weather - HELP!!

Our laundry room has a long wire shelf along the wall... I put things on hangers and hang them on the shelf wires and close the door. SInce the heat is on right now, the vent that is in there drys them fairly fast. So if I hang in the morning, they are dry that night. When heat is not on, then they can take a couple days for jeans and such. So you have a vent in your laundry room or a room like the bathroom and hang on the shower rod (use hangers) that you can close th door and have the vents do the work in there? Put the racks over a heat vent? Today and yesterday here was nice enough to dry outside, so have been, but a few days ago there was no way, so I put things like socks and undies in the dryer still. For about every 4 loads of laundry I dry 1 medium load from those.
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I have one drying rack. It holds a full load of laundry. I can put a load up in the morning and it'll be dry in time for me to put a load on that night, which dries overnight.

We are also a family of 5, but we don't have any in diapers anymore, plus we re-use what we can. We typically have one load of towels a week and maybe 6 of clothes. I try to do sheets every couple of weeks, but so far, as those are thin, I've been able to hang them outside still.

You can hang things outside and they will dry at least part of the way, which would mean when you bring them in, you can fold them on the racks to take up less space so they can finish drying.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
cristancanoe
Registered Users

I dry my clothes outside in the winter. They take a little longer to "freeze dry" than in the summer but it still works and they smell sooo good!
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is on amazon on sale right now for $9.96 and free shipping if you have prime
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
frskulls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you hang to dry in garage? Perhaps too cold?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just have clothes airers/horses that I bring inside to "finish" clothes that aren't quite dry. I sometimes hang sheets over doors. It looks a bit like a chinese laundry but it dries eventually.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I still hang outside sometimes in the winter if I'm not too lazy (even when freezing). The key, for me, is just to start butt early so it has all day to dry. If I start too late, I often have to move things inside to finish drying.

I line dry a TON inside b/c I hate standing in the cold hanging up the laundry & it's a lot faster. I have a breezeway/hallway with the washer in it & it's near our woodburner. I just took an old piece of bailing twine & strung it up & use it as an indoor clothes line, and also a clothes line that clips onto things (found at goodwill I think) that I put up to dry socks, etc. For things like shirts or other hanger items, I hang it all up on the hangers to dry on top of a little piece of wood that's set atop of some open closet doors. I know this sounds weird/is hard to imagine but it works really great & we were able to use junk from around the house to do it all.

When I lived in a smaller space (apt) I used to hang everything I could on hangers & let dry hanging on the shower curtain rod or backs of chairs. It helped to use a box fan to move the air.

Don't worry - you'll find your groove. And it can totally be done - I was line drying AND handwashing everything last winter.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hang the clothes on hangers & hang them to dry on the shower rod in the bathroom & aim a fan at them.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
I dry my clothes outside in the winter. They take a little longer to "freeze dry" than in the summer but it still works and they smell sooo good!
Yes! And they are so soft!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote