Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chocolate CHip cookies

I always add about 3-4 tsp of corn starch to my single batch cookie mix before baking. Works every time. :-) Also adding a bit more flour will help.

Advertisement

Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds good. Thank you for all the suggestions. I can't wait to try some of them!

I think my dough was a bit warm/sticky. I want to try to corn starch idea, too.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the recipe. When I use the Neiman Marcus one they never spread
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure you know this, buy make sure you are using real butter and not margarine. Sometimes my mom and grandmother think if it is a stick it must be butter.

I actually find that if I use shortening my cookies are flatter and crunchy. For my best chocolate chip cookies I make sure the butter is soft, but not melts. And if I have to add more flour for the consistency I do. Like pp said, your dough shouldn't be too sticky. It should be easy to rol into a little ball. I don't refrigerate overnight or anything, but I do stick the bowl in the fridge between batches so it doesn't get too soft while a pan is in the oven.

You'll just have to experiment as different ovens, elevation pans, etc... Make a difference. Oh darn. Guess that means you'll just have to keep making cookies until you get them right!

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know choc. chip cookies aren't healthy at all to begin with but I feel like butter makes them "healthier" and wouldn't even try using Crisco. Lol. I might have to try applesauce sometime though. I tried putting the dough in the fridge before when I was looking up what I was doing wrong but that one didn't work for me.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There's a million different ways to adjust a cookie recipe, but here's a few tips for an airy cookie.

1. Use softened (not melted) butter or shortening. I like a 50/50 split of the two. Cream the fats and sugars until fluffy and light. Then cream in eggs. Again until light and fluffy. Mix everything else in lightly. Creaming makes an airy structure to the dough.

2. Cooling dough before baking will make it take longer for the fats in the recipe to melt, allowing the structure of the flour to firm up before all the air bubbles in the fat's structure melt away.

3. Similar to number two, baking at a slightly higher temperature for a shorter time will build the cookie's shape before all the fat melts.

4. Adding more flour can help, but be sure to adjust baking powder accordingly, if you're adding more than a couple of tablespoons. Baking soda is what gives lift. Add too much flour and it will be too heavy. If you increase flour by 25%, increase baking powder by 25%.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, it's such a hardship to make MORE cookies. haha!!!
Thank you MamaKim for that info. Very helpful.
The reason I did 50/50 butter/crisco, is because my snickerdoodles always turn out great with a little crisco. but it kinda backfired with the chocochip cookies.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, it's such a hardship to make MORE cookies. haha!!!
Thank you MamaKim for that info. Very helpful.
The reason I did 50/50 butter/crisco, is because my snickerdoodles always turn out great with a little crisco. but it kinda backfired with the chocochip cookies.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know I already chimed in but I just want to say...I don't like flat thin cookies with chip bumps sticking up and my favorite chocolate chip cookie is from Smitten Kitchen its http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/...-chip-cookies/. They come out sooooo good and they call for melted butter surprisingly. I always chill the dough for at least an hour and roll it into balls. Whenever I make these people say how great they look and taste. They come out picture perfect.

Good luck in your perfect cookie quest lol
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use my Grandmas recipe. Tends to be more crispy cookie, but not so flat.

sorry no pic.

http://lorikocholek.wordpress.com/20...-chip-cookies/

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog

Last edited by kocho; 12-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote