Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do your kids throw fits whenever they have to sit down to eat?

I have no problem with my DD eating during breakfast. Whenever she sees food in the table you will just see her climbing then eating the food out of the plate..lol Though my 2 older nephews are really the problem.. I guess eating with your baby will help, they love watching us eat and copying it.
I think making a enjoyable, colorful and cute looking foods will help. They will surely not be able to resist it.
Yesterday, I made DD a fried rice...
cooked some cubed luncheon meat and mushroom,removed oil,
put rice and seasoning, add the luncheon and mushroom,
I added sweetcorn/kernel DD loves this
and that's it...so colorful and DD almost eat it all just left 1 spoon she is already full..lol
though I am also planning to add some carrots on it,. or using some chicken stock in cooking the rice will also be great!! Goodluck!

Advertisement

sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

No.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
What kinds of things is your fussy eater wanting? Are they things that could be prepared in advance and reheated for breakfast?

I try not to battle over food. My 7yo I'd difficult enough without adding that to it. He likes waffles, pancakes, and instant oatmeal. Only. Waffles and pancakes are made on Sunday for the week. Frozen and reheated. Easy on me and allows me to focus elsewhere, he eats and everyone has a pleasant morning.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #24
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mama, I needed to offer you because I am stressed for you just reading that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

the one problem is that in the morning on weekdays, I have to get the 5 and 6 year old fed because they are going to school for the day. It's so stressful because I can't send them to school without having breakfast, yet they fight me about it. I also usually don't leave enough time to do what someone above suggested (sending them to their room, etc), because we are all getting ready for them to go to school. Perhaps I need to allow at least an extra half hour to discipline them over this?
Definitely allow yourself more time. Get them up earlier, get them dressed and to the table. Let them have some choice in their breakfasts. Speak about it separate from the table and lay out some options for breakfast that work for all of you (ie don't put yourself down for items you are not happy with or ready to prepare). Ideally, let them be things the older children can help prepare.
Give small servings in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
we are working on it. no problems this morning because they liked the meal (scrambled eggs)- maybe that's my problem, I need to work on my cooking? LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, the 3 yr old, I'm sure, has just learned it from the older two. As for the older two, I'm not sure what started it, but I would suggest sitting down with them and having a chat. Not at a meal time, but maybe a little beforehand. Let them know that you will be serving food, that they are expected to not whine about it, but to eat. If they need something, they may ask politely. If you need to, set a time limit (use a timer they can see) for them to be finished in.

Also, I don't know how much input they have in what they eat, but if they currently have no say or very little, give them some options. Not necessarily for every meal, but when you can.
This, exactly. Children will behave based on what we will tolerate. My rule is, you can eat as much or as little of anything I serve, but there will be no substitutions and ANY whining, fussing, or rudeness means you leave the table immediately and don't get to eat until the next meal (4 hours later). None have starved, and it usually takes only one or two times of this happening before they realize I am dead serious.

I menu plan for a week at a time and often ask their opinions for what tp make that week. I often ask in the afternoon what they feel like tonite from our week's menu, and make that. And I have them "help" as much as possible, starting at age 2.

They eat beautifully now, veggies and all. It is amazing how my intolerance for rudeness has broadened their taste buds

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-18-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
They eat beautifully now, veggies and all. It is amazing how my intolerance for rudeness has broadened their taste buds
Yup. When you cannot say, "Yucky" or whine at the table, there is not much left to do but enjoy your food.

OP, another thing I wanted to ask is if you are sitting with them? I find meals are much more enjoyable (less rudeness) if there is a parent present. I know it is hard in the mornings, and with busy lives, but it does help.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Is there anything you can feed that they don't have to sit down for? I'd try to make a change during the weekend and at dinner, but in the am- perhaps granola bars or cereal bars, fruit to go? I find mornings getting ready for school are already so stressful. I'd concentrate on the rest of the day, and just get them out the door in the am. I wouldn't put up with the whining although I'd find it hard to send my kids to school without breakfast.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #28
lovebear
Registered Users

My daughter is a picky eater, but the good thing is, she avoids eating meat. She never whine or throw fits when her food is served in front of her, it's just that she would eat a part that she likes and set aside the food on the side of a plate that she doesn't like eating.

Last edited by lovebear; 12-19-2012 at 02:45 AM.
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote