Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else scared to death of baby #3?

Kind of since I'm alone at night with kids.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was not scared but 3 is much harder for me. My 2nd was easy peasy. She was super mellow, slept a lot, DS1 was really helpful and sweet etc. I thought I was going to do just as well with 3 however he is not a sleeper, very clingy, nurses constantly and DD is in the midst of her terrible twos and she is into everything. Also DS1 being in school this year is so demanding. I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time. That said they adore him and he brings such a great dynamic to the family and I feel really complete now. I am sure it will get better once we move out of this newborn stage...and then it will get worse...and then better again.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With everything, it is an adjustment. But my 3rd was calmer than the other 2. After DS, any baby would be easy! Get a good double stroller, and a good carrier, and you're good to go! (Mine are 26 months a part and 23 months apart).

Our rule for adding kiddo 4 was that we wanted kiddo 3 to be 3 years old, potty trained, and more self sufficient. 23 months apart just sucked!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I dont think it is about a number at all. it depends on where you are in your life and also, the personalities of your kids.

I agree completely!!

I was terrified to add the 3rd. Being outnumbered WAS a big deal to me because our older 2 are still actually quite little and need a lot of care and we were making a lot of transitions at the same time as the 3rd baby arrived. I work full time, and there were financial ramifications we had to consider, too.

That said, I spent a lot of time mentally preparing for our new normal. I just knew everything was going to take longer, everything was going to be a bit more chaotic, and that sometimes one or two kids were just going to have to wait. I talked to my oldest a lot about the importance of teamwork and what she could to to help, though she still needs constant direction in this area.

Have we struggled? Oh, yes. Our oldest has never adapted well to change, so any change no matter how big or small is going to give us challenges. But our other daughter, who apparently was destined to be a middle child and has the personality and temperment for it, has been a piece of cake. And then the baby is just an angel sent from above. He's so EASY!

I guess basically what I'm saying is that every family dynamic is going to be different when the 2nd, 3rd, 4th child is added. It's okay to be afraid, but there is much you can do to prepare yourself and you never hear anyone seriously consider getting rid of any of their kids because the dynamic is too tough, KWIM? And the long days of constant care eventually give way to older more self-sufficient kids and you can breathe a little easier.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, when DS3 was born, DS1 was about 5 years old. So it's not like I had 3 toddlers, or 3 infants, or 2 toddlers and an infant.

Yes, some days were (and still are) a challenge, but there are great days, ok days, not so great days, and "someone please come rescue me before i loose my sanity" days. LOL

DS3 will be 3 in February, and DD is 3 months old. THOSE two are challenging for me.

It also depends greatly on the personality of the older two kiddos. My oldest was (and still is) very helpful and deemed it his job to help care for his siblings and did a lot to help me out. So I had a great helper which made things a lot easier than if he were high needs or special needs at the time that DS3 was born.

Now with DS1 in school. and it's the 5yr old, 2 yr old and 3 month old at home, NOW I have more rough days because DS2 and DS3 are both VERY strong willed and fight a lot over toys, DS2 doesn't really WANT to help with the baby and DS3 can't really do much to help and is really rough wit her so has to be watched closely.

If I were to take DS1 out of the picture and just had the younger three, then yes, having a third would have scared me. LOL. but with DS1 being so helpful, going from 2 to 3 wasn't that big of a deal.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
A third makes a marvelous toy for the first two.
ROFL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I was not scared but 3 is much harder for me. My 2nd was easy peasy. She was super mellow, slept a lot, DS1 was really helpful and sweet etc.
This is what we have right now. A very sweet 4 year old, and a very easy, super sweet and outgoing 9 month old. I feel like even if we had another 3 year gap, it just wouldn't be right. But we will see.

DH does not want a big gap between the kids, but with his job change in a few months (or job loss), I don't feel like it's the right time to be talking about more kids. We live in a small house, but we could totally make it do-able. We only have 2 cars, but our main car would work if we got 3 Radian carseats (still have to research newborns in those).

Could we do it? Yes. Do I want to? No. However, if we had waited for the 'perfect time' to have our last two, we would be childless, and we are SO thankful for both of them, even though we went through a LOT of hardships. We still wouldn't change a thing (other than my shopping addiction).

We ideally would like 4. Preferably without long spaces in between. The awesome part about long spacing - regaining your sanity. The bad part about spacing - having to lose it all over again.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
hollydawn
Registered Users
seller

I am pregnant with number three and will admit, I'm scared.

There is a six year age gap between one and two. I love the gap. Big sister is amazing with her brother and since she is so self sufficient and in school I got to spend a ton of quality snuggle time when henry was a newborn. When number 3 is born Henry will be 21 months. I'm scared!

I think about all the time at is needed to just to nurse a newborn and I have no idea what kind of toddler henry will be. Both our babies were high needs so I'm worried this one will be as well.

Last edited by hollydawn; 12-13-2012 at 04:37 PM.
hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

It's so funny to hear other's responses! I found the third baby the sweetest baby, yet the biggest challenge with the numbers. It could be that I had 3 kids UNDER 3 at the time though! haha. #4 was my smoothest transition!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
I'm not scared, I'm sure it will take some adjusting and I will probably go temporarily insane at times but not scared.
lecialefty - Are you guys thinking about #3? Is your LO crawling? Annora is trying to start walking already, she pulls herself up onto furniture, and tries to take steps. My son was a late walker, so this is all new to me!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hah try twins.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote